The Student Room Group

cuban missile crisis explained

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can't wait to the day America gets nuked and destroyed.
Just watch Thirteen Days
Reply 3
Ruskies tried to usurp Uncle Sam as The Lone Ranger
Original post by ngt93
Can't wait to the day America gets nuked and destroyed.

Do you happen to follow a religion that advocates kiddy fiddling?

Or are you a moon whiling communist
Original post by MatureStudent36

I don't think he's Catholic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lololol
Original post by InnerTemple
I don't think he's Catholic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I tend to find the anti American brigade a bit misguided. Our home grown loons seem to have no grasp of history.
The deal was actually massively favourable to the US. The missiles in Turkey were already obsolete and extremely vulnerable to a first-strike (liquid-fuelled, close to the Soviet Union).

With solid-fuelled ICBMs like the Minuteman coming online, and the first Polaris SLBM patrols occurring around this time, the US wasn't really sacrificing anything, whereas the Soviets were sacrificing their only realistic first strike capability on the US. They had to wait until the 1970s and the Delta class submarines came online to get something similar. Essentially, the Soviets backed themselves into a corner, though they did come out of it with a guarantee Cuba would not be invaded

This video below, from a documentary about the US Secretary of Defence from 1961 to 1968, Robert McNamara, has a very good overview of the Cuban Missile Crisis (from 6 minutes 50 seconds in).

I couldn't recommend it highly enough for anyone who is interested in Cold War history

[video="youtube;nwXF6UdkeI4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwXF6UdkeI4#t=6m50s[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by young_guns
The deal was actually massively favourable to the US. The missiles in Turkey were already obsolete and extremely vulnerable to a first-strike (liquid-fuelled, close to the Soviet Union).

With solid-fuelled ICBMs like the Minuteman coming online, and the first Polaris SLBM patrols occurring around this time, the US wasn't really sacrificing anything, whereas the Soviets were sacrificing their only realistic first strike capability on the US. They had to wait until the 1970s and the Delta class submarines came online to get something similar. Essentially, the Soviets backed themselves into a corner, though they did come out of it with a guarantee Cuba would not be invaded

This video below, from a documentary about the US Secretary of Defence from 1961 to 1968, Robert McNamara, has a very good overview of the Cuban Missile Crisis (from 6 minutes 50 seconds in).

I couldn't recommend it highly enough for anyone who is interested in Cold War history

[video="youtube;nwXF6UdkeI4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwXF6UdkeI4#t=6m50s[/video]

wow you must have a lot of friends.
Original post by Lionheart96

:lol: Are you so shocked by someone having in-depth knowledge of a subject? Especially one they may have studied at postgraduate level?

Don't tell me, someone being clever or knowledgeable about a subject, in your world, means they don't have friends. I don't want to guess how low your university is on the league tables.

By the way, if you don't get back to work, you'll get a third in your degree :wink: Or even fail.

And then you'll end up working at Morrisons. Chop chop, get off your backside =P
Reply 12
Original post by MatureStudent36

Just someone that knows the vast majority of americans are fat, hypocritical, retarded and annoying scum.
By the way, if you don't get back to work, you'll get a third in your degree :wink: Or even fail.

And then you'll end up working at Morrisons. Chop chop, get off your backside =P

:lol: Are you so shocked by someone having in-depth knowledge of a subject? Especially one they may have studied at postgraduate level?

Don't tell me, someone being clever or knowledgeable about a subject, in your world, means they don't have friends. I don't want to guess how low your university is on the league tables.

oh damn my comment must have really hurt!
Hell, you had to reply TWICE to my comment.
i'm sorry i was just pulling your leg mate :wink:
oh damn my comment must have really hurt!

That's what people always say when they're smarting.

And are you going to get back to work? You're going to fail your degree at this rate
That's what people always say when they're smarting.

And are you going to get back to work? You're going to fail your degree at this rate

i like how you had to say that you did a postgraduate on this as well xD
i like how you had to say that you did a postgraduate on this as well xD

My masters degree was an MA International Relations at ANU and my dissertation was on nuclear policy and deterrence theory.

You, on the other hand, are unlikely to have an opportunity to do a masters degree given your inability to apply yourself (you're still wasting time on this website when you have so much work to do? You've been sitting on your butt for three months and you're still babbling on here. Are you completely ADHD?)

Anyway, I have other things to do. Good night
My masters degree was an MA International Relations at ANU and my dissertation was on nuclear policy and deterrence theory.

You, on the other hand, are unlikely to have an opportunity to do a masters degree given your inability to apply yourself (you're still wasting time on this website when you have so much work to do? Are you completely ADHD?)

wow the way you retaliated with so many insults and back handed comments simply implies that my comment touched a nerve with you. Sorry i guess. I hope you make some friends in the future, good luck mate :smile:

You, on the other hand, are unlikely to have an opportunity to do a masters degree given your inability to apply yourself (you're still wasting time on this website when you have so much work to do? You've been sitting on your butt for three months and you're still babbling on here. Are you completely ADHD?)

P.S. you have a masters degree and have writen a dissertation and yet are sitting on a forum.
You clearly don't have other things to do mate
P.S. you have a masters degree and have writen a dissertation and yet are sitting on a forum.
You clearly don't have other things to do mate

Are you still making comments? I really must have touched a nerve :h:

Quick Reply

Latest