Scroll to see replies

Original post by whymedicine
Meeee!! So nervous

How are you preparing ???
Original post by Jaska
How are you preparing ???

Bbc news, you?
Original post by missfats
Is 5 medical volunteering opportunities abroad, gp shadowing aswell as attending various medical workshops, plus science workshops enough for medical work experience.

Also if I read, 4 books from medical reading lists exp 'trust me, I'm a junior doctor', would this show interest in my chosen degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on what kind of med schools you might apply to in the future. Some are very Personal Statement heavy and they may be unimpressed with 'engineered' volunteering: they will want at least 6 months (preferably 12 months+) of a regular weekly volunteering commitment; they will want you to reflect upon the experiences you've gained demonstrating newfound knowledge of yourself, insight into your suitability/drive for medicine or new understanding of humankind in general. Many prefer longevity over intensity of experience. Some are so PC that they actively ignore 'posh' trips abroad as they know that these aren't always available to students from normal financial backgrounds. Others will think that what you describe is perfect. Do plenty of research before finalising your volunteering plans or choosing your med schools...
Original post by Dr Gin
It depends on what kind of med schools you might apply to in the future. Some are very Personal Statement heavy and they may be unimpressed with 'engineered' volunteering: they will want at least 6 months (preferably 12 months+) of a regular weekly volunteering commitment; they will want you to reflect upon the experiences you've gained demonstrating newfound knowledge of yourself, insight into your suitability/drive for medicine or new understanding of humankind in general. Many prefer longevity over intensity of experience. Some are so PC that they actively ignore 'posh' trips abroad as they know that these aren't always available to students from normal financial backgrounds. Others will think that what you describe is perfect. Do plenty of research before finalising your volunteering plans or choosing your med schools...

Universities like Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, Bristol and Birmingham.

What would they think?

Also I am from a low-normal financial background, it's just I've been lucky enough to have been given chances to go abroad on numerous occasions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Universities like Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, Bristol and Birmingham.

What would they think?

Also I am from a low-normal financial background, it's just I've been lucky enough to have been given chances to go abroad on numerous occasions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To back up what Dr Gin said, the majority of universities won't look at any expensive courses or volunteering abroad with much desire, as a lot of perfectly good applicants can't afford them. The most important thing is getting UK work experience in a hospital, GP and other places (physiotherapists, ambulance firms, etc) as well as building up an impressive portfolio of volunteering (working with disabled people, the elderly or in another healthcare setting).

Loads of threads talk about how you need a huge list of work experience/volunteering things, but tbh, the most important things for the majority of unis are your grades and your UKCAT/BMAT scores (especially for the Russell Group unis you've mentioned!). I've only been volunteering with children with special needs for about 6 months, wlong with work experience placements lasting roughly a week with an ambulance firm, hospital and GP, plus a day with a physio/chiro.... And I've been given 4 interviews :smile: So as beneficial as impressive work experience and volunteering may seem, they really aren't as bigger deal as a lot of people make them out to be :wink: Choosing your schools wisely is also a VERY important factor. Before this thread goes too off the rails, PM if you want any more advice xD
Is 5 medical volunteering opportunities abroad, gp shadowing aswell as attending various medical workshops, plus science workshops enough for medical work experience.

Also if I read, 4 books from medical reading lists exp 'trust me, I'm a junior doctor', would this show interest in my chosen degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

With those universities, smash the bmat/As levels and you can write whatever you want on your ps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HiimAffie
With those universities, smash the bmat/As levels and you can write whatever you want on your ps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Apart from Bristol who use it for 80% of their application :tongue: )
Reply 1067
Morning all,
to those that still havent heard back, i called the admissions department again (out of frustation) and they said that they are unlikely to get back to us with a firm rejection until late february. :/ so we're just going to be stringed along and perhaps if those that they wanted, didnt interview well we might get a chance in february? i doubt it but yeah there it is...
Reply 1068
Just got an interview from Exeter - but it's for the 15th December! 5 days notice! Jeez.

I'm a grad, by the way. Gamsat 65.
Reply 1069
Original post by Shiron
Morning all,
to those that still havent heard back, i called the admissions department again (out of frustation) and they said that they are unlikely to get back to us with a firm rejection until late february. :/ so we're just going to be stringed along and perhaps if those that they wanted, didnt interview well we might get a chance in february? i doubt it but yeah there it is...

Exactly as I guessed
So I'm a boss

And thanks so much for clearing it up
It actually puts us at rest
Really appreciated :-)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JNHE
Just got an interview from Exeter - but it's for the 15th December! 5 days notice! Jeez.

I'm a grad, by the way. Gamsat 65.

Ditto, GAMSAT 68/69.

ABOUT DAMNED TIME EXETER.
I'm also a graduate (GAMSAT 67), they emailed this morning to say my interview is on Monday. In the email it says to confirm my attendance within seven days of receiving notification. So I could technically confirm my attendance two days after doing the interview!
It is crazy how short notice this is... Luckily I'm not working on Monday and can attend. I feel sorry for people in full time work! Especially as a lot of jobs won't give time off in December (e.g. most pharmacies)
Original post by PharmaGiles
I'm also a graduate (GAMSAT 67), they emailed this morning to say my interview is on Monday. In the email it says to confirm my attendance within seven days of receiving notification. So I could technically confirm my attendance two days after doing the interview!
It is crazy how short notice this is... Luckily I'm not working on Monday and can attend. I feel sorry for people in full time work! Especially as a lot of jobs won't give time off in December (e.g. most pharmacies)

Yup, I'm in the same position. Luckily, my consultants don't work Mondays, so the late notice isn't that big a deal, but any other day and I'd be rushing back.

Also getting there at 8:15 from London for a midday interview. You are totes pushing your luck, Exeter, my friends!

Who am I kidding, I'm going to have the interview and spend the afternoon in the Topshop near St David's.
Reply 1073
Original post by Don'tMessThisUp
Yup, I'm in the same position. Luckily, my consultants don't work Mondays, so the late notice isn't that big a deal, but any other day and I'd be rushing back.

Also getting there at 8:15 from London for a midday interview. You are totes pushing your luck, Exeter, my friends!

Who am I kidding, I'm going to have the interview and spend the afternoon in the Topshop near St David's.

Same, my initial reaction to the short notice was: who do they think they are? Then I remembered who they are, and so I piped down.
Original post by JNHE
Same, my initial reaction to the short notice was: who do they think they are? Then I remembered who they are, and so I piped down.

Hahaha, exactly! Someone said to me - 'What if your LM said 'no' and you wouldn't be able to have the day off'? Well, I'd have to throw a sickie and risk being fired, because it's med school, you know?
Guys what number do you phone if you might be late?
Original post by Sonnywithachance
Guys what number do you phone if you might be late?

(01392) 724891 - that's the number to confirm, so I assume it's also the number for 'I'm running late'
Heyy guyss, i have an interview tomorrow, and i wanted to check, is it true that the people that interview you havent looked at your personal statement? and that i wont get asked questions on biology and diseases?
Wow saw a lot of people looking neat and tidy in their suits today. xP

Good luck with all your interviews!
Reply 1079
Well congratulations to all of you graduates with interviews. That probably means I'm not going to get one.

Best of luck to you all with your interviews and to those still waiting!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending