The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

The 'why did we let Reina go?!?!?' issue just illustrates the main misunderstanding the many football fans have about their clubs wage structure. People talk about net transfer spend in terms of transfer fees but no one even thinks about wages, which is what is really important in the day-to-day running of the club.
Reina was definitely on the decline in his last season, you can hardly blame the club for letting him go especially given the fact he'd have been one of your high earners. Not replacing Mignolet, or at least getting another keeper to provide competition, was a big mistake though. You can't take him out of the team for a bit (which worked for Hart & De Gea) because Brad Jones isn't Premier League standard. Was the plan to bring Valdes in or something?
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
The 'why did we let Reina go?!?!?' issue just illustrates the main misunderstanding the many football fans have about their clubs wage structure. People talk about net transfer spend in terms of transfer fees but no one even thinks about wages, which is what is really important in the day-to-day running of the club.

Sure we sold Reina as we wanted to reduce the wage bill but you still need to be competitive on the pitch.

Original post by sr90
Reina was definitely on the decline in his last season, you can hardly blame the club for letting him go especially given the fact he'd have been one of your high earners. Not replacing Mignolet, or at least getting another keeper to provide competition, was a big mistake though. You can't take him out of the team for a bit (which worked for Hart & De Gea) because Brad Jones isn't Premier League standard. Was the plan to bring Valdes in or something?

When we first bought Mignolet, Rodgers spoke about having two competing number 1s. I'm not sure why we don't have someone better than B.Jones tbh.. If we bring in Valdes now, we're probably in the same position where he's a high earner?
Original post by Zerforax
Sure we sold Reina as we wanted to reduce the wage bill but you still need to be competitive on the pitch.

When we first bought Mignolet, Rodgers spoke about having two competing number 1s. I'm not sure why we don't have someone better than B.Jones tbh.. If we bring in Valdes now, we're probably in the same position where he's a high earner?

You're shedding most of your high earners next summer though. Johnson's probably off and Gerrard will surely have a substantial wage cut.
Original post by sr90
You're shedding most of your high earners next summer though. Johnson's probably off and Gerrard will surely have a substantial wage cut.

They will probably extend his contract for the next 3 decades.
Original post by Eboracum
Cheers man. Always great to hear from you.

Yeah, it's a difficult one. Do you think you over achieved last season? I mean for me, it's just not good enough to say well that was a one off now we'll go back to being 7th, if I was a Liverpool fan, massive club, I'd have wanted to spend 120M wisely and challenge for the title this year, I mean you were incredible last season, you tore us apart at Old Trafford.

Is it Rodgers? Would you sack? Is he just a mid table manager who got lucky to have Suarez last year?

saying we overacheived is difficult but maybe not entirely untrue.
as somebody said, we already had suarez; it wasn't until we brought in the final few players that we exploded.
i think that having essentially one game per week with little need to vary our selection contributed MASSIVELY last season.
rodgers barely needed to make any tactical decisions - why change a system that has the best chemistry and efficiency going forward in the entire league?

i wouldn't say rodgers got "lucky" - you can't get lucky for a full season, although the SAS made his job a lot easier and we're only seeing this season how he copes when things are falling apart (not very well at all...)

and that's the worst thing of all man; i'm not gonna accept a one off after spending so much money.
i'm not gonna take another 3 years loitering in 7th place.
the reason why we're so bad is because we didn't replace suarez.
it's obvious.
you can never replace his quality but we could've at least splashed out 40m, even overpayed just so it would bring us a world class player to hold us up and pull the strings.

every team needs a standout player and we just don't have that.
there's nobody that can just change the game like suarez could.
if we're playing badly, we're probably not getting the points this season.
last season, suarez would just score a brace from nothing and win a game where his teammates were playing 3/10.

we did a spurs and it hurts.
Original post by sr90

I don't think we have many high earners left and we're now on a stable position where those who have earned it will be on higher wages (but still proportional). If Valdes then joins on 120k, it ruins the whole point of that? Long term stability over short term fixes I guess?
Hail the princes of Switzerland who slaughtered the lambs of Liverpool !
We've gone back two years in the space of three months.
Original post by Mackay
We've gone back two years in the space of three months.

And then some.
Reply 6811
Original post by MJK91
Bull****, Raheem is clearly better in the middle. He is lethal there. The problem is he had no one to lay off to and Gerrard playing as a striker alongside Skrtel towards the end.

If we could play Lambert/Balotelli (deep lying) and Sturridge together, and started with Coutinho/Sterling/Lallana behind, I think we'd have seen a different outcome. The problem is we have no one to bang in goals, and we have a keeper who refuses to distribute more than 20 yards and catches a ball like a wet trout. Midfield is fairly solid. Allen did look a bit sheepish closing down earlier on but got better. Hendo had a few moments of last season's brilliance but not quite as persistent. Gerrard as we know has lost his legs and needs to stop trying to shoot from distance like days of old, but still quality when you need him. Few people can score free kicks like that in those sorts of situations.

Original post by MJK91
But he kind of is. We have not seen Sturridge and Balotelli play together properly: Balotelli is not an out-and-out striker and is better playing off someone else, in a deeper position. 4-3-1-2 could well work. Coutinho played well when he came on last night. There is no reason why those attacking three (Cout/Sterling/Lallana) can't switch positions in play, but Sterling's pace makes him more effective through the middle. Effectively makes it 4-3-3 in attacking play with Sterling playing as a faux-striker and and Coutinho/Lallana and one of Gerrard/Henderson in attacking midfield. It does work well, but needs the right players and a bit of luck injury wise.

Are you suggesting playing with 5 attacking players?
(edited 9 years ago)
We need to start Markovic against United, he gives us pace and dynamism, and Lallana too.
Get rid of Allen, he's useless and put Gerrard as a striker, Coutinho as a sub, he's a special player but he's too inconsistent, 2 bad games 1 great game...

__________Gerrard_________
Markovic__________Sterling
_______Lallana___Henderson
____________Lucas___________
___Moreno__Kolo__Skrtel___Johnson
____________Mignolet
Original post by luke829
We need to start Markovic against United, he gives us pace and dynamism, and Lallana too.
Get rid of Allen, he's useless and put Gerrard as a striker, Coutinho as a sub, he's a special player but he's too inconsistent, 2 bad games 1 great game...

____________Mignolet

Surely it would be better with sterling as a false nine and lallana and markovic on the wings with Gerrard in midfield

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Surely it would be better with sterling as a false nine and lallana and markovic on the wings with Gerrard in midfield

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gerrard is our best finisher and Lallana disappear in the wings, Sterling has no end product, he and lazar should be the ones who add pace, intensity and pressure to our game
Original post by luke829
Gerrard is our best finisher and Lallana disappear in the wings, Sterling has no end product, he and lazar should be the ones who add pace, intensity and pressure to our game

Lallana as false nine then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopefully we have sakho back this weekend, we sure need him instead of lovren trying to defend against di maria....
Original post by luke829

____________Mignolet

people have been complaining about us playing an old, slow player up top and your solution is to replace him with an older, slower one who isn't even a striker?
I'd like to see:

Lambert
Sterling Lallana Markovic
Lucas Henderson
Moreno Lovren Skrtel Johnson
Mignolet

I'm assuming Toure/Sakho are still not match fit. We can bring on Coutinho at 45 mins/60 mins if any of the attacking trio are struggling or Gerrard can come on for the last 45 mins.
Original post by jshep000
Hopefully we have sakho back this weekend, we sure need him instead of lovren trying to defend against di maria....

No guarentees that he'll be fit. Bench at best imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest