The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Psyc_Girl
Thank you! Haha, I've done that too though when I only just scraped a 1st :lol:

Sorry to hear that! I hope you're okay!

Good luck with your essay :redface:

I usually just thank the gods I got a first even if I scrape. It's so hard with law to get above 75-80.

I'm fine. Just a little shaken.

Thanks!
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I usually just thank the gods I got a first even if I scrape. It's so hard with law to get above 75-80.

Thanks!

That's my lecturer's response to everything haha - 'just be thankful you're not doing law'
Original post by WhamBamJam.
That's my lecturer's response to everything haha - 'just be thankful you're not doing law'

You're lecturer's right. I only know one lecturer who's awarded above 85 on a piece of work. And above 90 is near damn impossible. It just makes me wonder why they bother marking out of 100 anyway.
Fallen so far behind on work. Going to stay a bit longer after term ends to try and do a good chunk of work..

Having to do a speech tomorrow... terrified :frown:
Chemistry exam today! It only counts for 30% but I still want an average mark at least :redface: then straight home to do more revision for biology tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vitamin D
Chemistry exam today! It only counts for 30% but I still want an average mark at least :redface: then straight home to do more revision for biology tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Slowbro93
Hey! How are you doing?

:hugs: are you abroad now?

Hi! :smile: I'm fine at the moment, at home studying for my exams. Once next week is over, I will feel even better! Will be so glad to move out of my flat as due to the ongoing tensions there. (It's a long, boring and complicated story.) Not abroad now but next semester, I'm working in January. I fly over on the 3rd. So excited! :biggrin: Thanks for remembering me! :colondollar:

My revision hasn't even started yet today. Got to get a move on. Today shall be dedicated to Marketing and French grammar. Yay! :tongue:

I see that we have a lot of busy beavers on here. Makes me want to get a move on and be more organised. Thanks for that guys. :smile:
Original post by Vitamin D

Posted from TSR Mobile

best of luck

Thanks!

Same with Politics, the ceiling is effectively 80 for essays and that's only if your work is near damned perfect.
Ditto with both of my degrees too, you just don't really get above 80 for anything, and above 70 is excellent.
I forget about numbers above 70 when it comes to coursework. In my department (history of art student, by the way), if you've got a first/70 you've done exactly what they expected of you for that question. The number following the 7 is how much more you've impressed them, pretty much.
The highest I've ever gotten was 82, and that was SO GENEROUS. I almost cried with joy. I loved that lecturer.
My boyfriend did a computer based undergraduate course and the highest he ever got was 94. If I got a 94, I would probably pass out.
With humanities there's sort of no right and wrong, just good and bad arguments, and whether the lecturer feels like agreeing with you.
Original post by rayquaza17

Original post by jelly1000
best of luck

Thanks guys :smile: it didn't go amazingly but hopefully not disastrously either!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jelly1000
Same with Politics, the ceiling is effectively 80 for essays and that's only if your work is near damned perfect.

Yeah our essays pretty much never reach above 80 either unless you write a perfect problem question and the maximum for that is 85.

Original post by Antifazian
Ditto with both of my degrees too, you just don't really get above 80 for anything, and above 70 is excellent.

You have two degrees? What are they?

Maths students have it easy :/

Original post by sliceofcake
I forget about numbers above 70 when it comes to coursework. In my department (history of art student, by the way), if you've got a first/70 you've done exactly what they expected of you for that question. The number following the 7 is how much more you've impressed them, pretty much.
The highest I've ever gotten was 82, and that was SO GENEROUS. I almost cried with joy. I loved that lecturer.
My boyfriend did a computer based undergraduate course and the highest he ever got was 94. If I got a 94, I would probably pass out.
With humanities there's sort of no right and wrong, just good and bad arguments, and whether the lecturer feels like agreeing with you.

If I got 94 I'd pass out too lol!

That really sucks with humanities. People assume it's easier to get a humanities degree but it's not fair that we get lower degree classifications than other degree students just because we're marked differently.
Yeah our essays pretty much never reach above 80 either unless you write a perfect problem question and the maximum for that is 85.

If I got 94 I'd pass out too lol!

That really sucks with humanities. People assume it's easier to get a humanities degree but it's not fair that we get lower degree classifications than other degree students just because we're marked differently.

Woah woah woah as a maths student myself they do not have it easy haha, okay it might be "easier" to get 100%, doesn't mean my degree isn't completely buttarse damn hardddd! (for me anyway, someone who will never in a million years get a first :lol:)

Okay might of gone a bit too far (sorry) but now you know my opinion of my degree :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I invite you to take my Mathematical Analysis exam or Vector Calculus, then tell me it's easy :tongue:

We definitely don't have it easy, sure with our exams it's either correct or not, so it's possible to get full marks in the exams, however no one really ever gets 85, let alone 90! It'll only ever be the same few students who score those types of marks.

Well, one and a quarter so far, undergrad and a masters in progress :smile:

Maths definitely wouldn't be easy for me, so i'll stick to my essay subjects haha. When I understand things, I actually enjoy it, but school maths lesson instilled enough fear to make me want to stay far away most of the time.
Original post by shorttstuff
Woah woah woah as a maths student myself they do not have it easy haha, okay it might be "easier" to get 100%, doesn't mean my degree isn't completely buttarse damn hardddd! (for me anyway, someone who will never in a million years get a first :lol:)

Okay might of gone a bit too far (sorry) but now you know my opinion of my degree :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not saying Maths as a degree is easy, but at least it is possible to get 100%, in humanities it isn't possible.
Original post by shorttstuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I wasn't saying the content is easy. I meant that it's easy in the way that it's possible for you guys to get above 80s. With us, you get above 85 (maybe even 90 although I've never heard of anyone who got above 90) then you're practically God.

Original post by MathsNerd1
I invite you to take my Mathematical Analysis exam or Vector Calculus, then tell me it's easy :tongue:

We definitely don't have it easy, sure with our exams it's either correct or not, so it's possible to get full marks in the exams, however no one really ever gets 85, let alone 90! It'll only ever be the same few students who score those types of marks.

Lol No thanks. I love myself too much :cool:

But it's still possible right?

Original post by Antifazian
Well, one and a quarter so far, undergrad and a masters in progress :smile:

Maths definitely wouldn't be easy for me, so i'll stick to my essay subjects haha. When I understand things, I actually enjoy it, but school maths lesson instilled enough fear to make me want to stay far away most of the time.

Wow. Good luck with the masters. I was thinking of one but I wouldn't know what to do it in.

I was always okay in maths. Never really studied but scraped pass grades. But i agree with the fear. I'm Asian and I have memories of my mum slapped me on the arm when I was younger for making silly mistakes in my maths work she would make me do in my spare time :angry:

Wow. Good luck with the masters. I was thinking of one but I wouldn't know what to do it in.

I was always okay in maths. Never really studied but scraped pass grades. But i agree with the fear. I'm Asian and I have memories of my mum slapped me on the arm when I was younger for making silly mistakes in my maths work she would make me do in my spare time :angry:

That sounds awful! :frown: I remember watching Countdown on tv with my mum, and I was always really good at the word sections, but at the maths bit she'd tell me to try and do the problem, and I usually couldn't in the time, and she'd be like 'You should be able to do that!'. She was saying it jokingly and meant well, but it's pretty harsh and sticks with you!
Lab reports are horrible! Currently working on my second one this term and trying hard to improve from my previous 2:1 but it's hard :cry2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending