The Student Room Group

A-Level AQA ICT INFO1 January 2014 Exam Topics & Questions?

Hi, I'm basically studying for my AS in ICT this year and i have looked at past-papers on the AQA website but they do not have the January 2014 Unit 1 paper available. I am trying to find the correlation of the questions that come up every year so i can revise on those certain topics. Im pretty sure that there are many people on here that have completed the paper and have an idea of what came up in it. Please can you tell me some of the questions or topics that came up in the exam from what you remember? Please answer as soon as possible. Thanks in advance, guys!
Original post by mahfujur
Hi, I'm basically studying for my AS in ICT this year and i have looked at past-papers on the AQA website but they do not have the January 2014 Unit 1 paper available. I am trying to find the correlation of the questions that come up every year so i can revise on those certain topics. Im pretty sure that there are many people on here that have completed the paper and have an idea of what came up in it. Please can you tell me some of the questions or topics that came up in the exam from what you remember? Please answer as soon as possible. Thanks in advance, guys!

Be careful with the whole preempting thing, it's just not a safe bet. I took ICT for A Level it was probably the easiest subject I took. I got the "perfect score" on my first ever AS paper and to be honest I didn't put in that much work outside of the class and there was one lesson a week I never turned up to. It's really not difficult :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jaffacake111
Be careful with the whole preempting thing, it's just not a safe bet. I took ICT for A Level it was probably the easiest subject I took. I got the "perfect score" on my first ever AS paper and to be honest I didn't put in that much work outside of the class and there was one lesson a week I never turned up to. It's really not difficult :smile:

True, did you complete the June 2014 exam?
True, did you complete the June 2014 exam?

Nope it was longer ago than that. Just remember that with ICT you have INFO(3?) in A2 as the coursework component - make sure you do it good and providing you haven't done half bad in INFO1 and INFO2 you can go into the exam for INFO4 feeling pretty relaxed.

We had a shocking teacher who even apologised as we went into the exam for being so "rubbish" and who personally thanked me for helping other students (if I can help you let me know).

Anyway that's my mindset pretty much for all exams: put in the work before and you can be chill on the day - I even got comments on it!
Reply 4
Nope it was longer ago than that. Just remember that with ICT you have INFO(3?) in A2 as the coursework component - make sure you do it good and providing you haven't done half bad in INFO1 and INFO2 you can go into the exam for INFO4 feeling pretty relaxed.

We had a shocking teacher who even apologised as we went into the exam for being so "rubbish" and who personally thanked me for helping other students (if I can help you let me know).

Anyway that's my mindset pretty much for all exams: put in the work before and you can be chill on the day - I even got comments on it!

Haha, thats really good to know! Have you completed your a-levels now?
Haha, thats really good to know! Have you completed your a-levels now?

Yep. Done and dusted! Out of interest what are your other subjects?
Reply 6
Yep. Done and dusted! Out of interest what are your other subjects?

My other subjects (including ICT): Business, Economics, IFS Financial Services
My other subjects (including ICT): Business, Economics, IFS Financial Services

Oh wow - I think you will be giving me tips then - maths is not my thing!

With ICT we are/were lucky in that the AQA textbooks are quite thin and there's not really any reading around the subject to do either. Can imagine that's not the case with some of your other subjects.
Reply 8
Oh wow - I think you will be giving me tips then - maths is not my thing!

With ICT we are/were lucky in that the AQA textbooks are quite thin and there's not really any reading around the subject to do either. Can imagine that's not the case with some of your other subjects.

Haha, im alright at maths, wouldn't say im an expert but yeah. The other subjects are fine but there is a lot of reading and stuff! What subjects did you study and what was your ace? :smile:
Haha, im alright at maths, wouldn't say im an expert but yeah. The other subjects are fine but there is a lot of reading and stuff! What subjects did you study and what was your ace? :smile:

At school English was my ace but I didn't take it further. Guess I was put off by dusty copies of books.

Loved history at school so took it at AS - hated it.

Similar with ICT - but still loved it at the end

Fancied something new so took Psychology - loads and loads and loads of reading but can't say I didn't enjoy it.

Took Philosophy and Ethics - not sure why but also enjoyed it despite a ton of reading.

With the latter two maybe they feed into my "problem" of not being able to stop finding out how other people's minds work.

I wish I'd taken a science (they say Psychology counts but...) because the other thing I can't stop doing is reading up on it, in particular biology but I know if I had taken it I wouldn't be saying that know because it would have felt like too much of a chore. There is much wrong in our education system when it causes people to feel this way but oh well, you live and you learn :smile:
Reply 10
At school English was my ace but I didn't take it further. Guess I was put off by dusty copies of books.

Loved history at school so took it at AS - hated it.

Similar with ICT - but still loved it at the end

Fancied something new so took Psychology - loads and loads and loads of reading but can't say I didn't enjoy it.

Took Philosophy and Ethics - not sure why but also enjoyed it despite a ton of reading.

With the latter two maybe they feed into my "problem" of not being able to stop finding out how other people's minds work.

I wish I'd taken a science (they say Psychology counts but...) because the other thing I can't stop doing is reading up on it, in particular biology but I know if I had taken it I wouldn't be saying that know because it would have felt like too much of a chore. There is much wrong in our education system when it causes people to feel this way but oh well, you live and you learn :smile:

Wow, thats very good! I was never too good at the sciences. English was one of my favourites and i was expecting a grade A for GCSE, unfortunately, my teacher did not teach very well and did not give a damn about the class, leading me to a Grade C. I was dissapointed at getting 2Cs in both English subjects. However, im really good at applying common sense and my own knowledge in to work (which surprisingly gives me extra marks) and i think thats what makes me special to be honest :cool:
Reply 11
does anyone know what topics came up in INFO1 june 2014 exam?

Quick Reply

Latest