The Student Room Group

Bad first year grade, 2nd year summer internship?

I study Law (2nd year) at a reputable university and want to go into investment banking.

Totally *******s up my first year grade getting lower than a 2:2 and now I'm not sure what to do in terms of applying for internships. I really haven't bothered with big companies because I know I will get a straight rejection.

I was wondering if anyone knows how I would go about getting an internship? Do you think a smaller company would take me on regardless first year grade?

Do you think using Linked In to connect with random possible employers is a good idea?

Any tips would help

p.s. I don't have many or good connections at all
Reply 1
Look for firms that don't ask you about your first year grades on the application form. And then avoid mentioning it, just say that you're predicted a 2:1.

Honestly, in the current graduate market, I don't think many investment banks would consider applicants that don't have at least a 2:1. So make sure that you put the work in in your second and third year to ensure you do get a 2:1 or 1st. I guessing that you got a bad grade because you messed about in first year, or something personal/family related happened? Because if it's because the work was too hard, then Investment Banking may not be for you, trust me, the work in IB will make your degree look so easy.

I would also advice applying ASAP, most investment banks have already closed their applications and given out offers.
Original post by bethambitious
I study Law (2nd year) at a reputable university and want to go into investment banking.

Totally *******s up my first year grade getting lower than a 2:2 and now I'm not sure what to do in terms of applying for internships. I really haven't bothered with big companies because I know I will get a straight rejection.

I was wondering if anyone knows how I would go about getting an internship? Do you think a smaller company would take me on regardless first year grade?

Do you think using Linked In to connect with random possible employers is a good idea?

Any tips would help

I study physics at a top (note not just reputable) university and got excellent first year grades and was awarded an academic award on the basis of these. I'm struggling to even get interviews at the banks.

Smaller banks are even tougher to get into as they risk more on every hire and also work their analysts far harder.

Any tips would help

Please tell me Suits was not the inspiration for this..
Original post by natninja
I study physics at a top (note not just reputable) university and got excellent first year grades and was awarded an academic award on the basis of these. I'm struggling to even get interviews at the banks.

Smaller banks are even tougher to get into as they risk more on every hire and also work their analysts far harder.

What university do you go to?

Thanks for the info
What university do you go to?

Thanks for the info

Oxford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending