The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 고구마
x

If they actually asked me seriously I'd probably consider angular diameter (estimate), gravitational forces and the power per unit area we receive from the sun, knowing that we're about 150 million km from the sun
Original post by Bude8
If they actually asked me seriously I'd probably consider angular diameter (estimate), gravitational forces and the power per unit area we receive from the sun, knowing that we're about 150 million km from the sun

As a biologist/medic this is what i have to say

to me, physics is just glorified maths with dropping balls :confused:
Original post by 고구마
As a biologist/medic this is what i have to say

to me, physics is just glorified maths with dropping balls :confused:

Yeah, a lot of physics is just applied maths.

Here's a biological interview question for you - why is there a higher probability of being killed by an asteroid collision than by a heart attack?

Spoiler

Original post by Bude8
Yeah, a lot of physics is just applied maths.

Here's a biological interview question for you - why is there a higher probability of being killed by an asteroid collision than by a heart attack?

Spoiler

if I think of what you are thinking... then you must be high :colondollar:

but if that's honestly a question presented to me... then I'd say that people are more likely to survive a heart attack than an asteroid collision, even though the latter is rare... one asteroid collision though, can wipe out the whole world... even heart attacks can (like in the DW ep with the 11th and the cubes)
Original post by 고구마
if I think of what you are thinking... then you must be high :colondollar:

but if that's honestly a question presented to me... then I'd say that people are more likely to survive a heart attack than an asteroid collision, even though the latter is rare... one asteroid collision though, can wipe out the whole world... even heart attacks can (like in the DW ep with the 11th and the cubes)

Yup, that was my answer to it :lol:

What does your name mean btw? I presume you're Korean?
Original post by Bude8
Yup, that was my answer to it :lol:

What does your name mean btw? I presume you're Korean?

SWEET MOTHER****IN POTATO (i live by them)

and i'm actually not Korean (其实我从来中国), but I watch way too many K-drama... so I can read and write in Korean so yeah
Original post by 고구마

and i'm actually not Korean (其实我从来中国), but I watch way too many K-drama... so I can read and write in Korean so yeah

Sorry to butt in I'm just really excited that I was able to read your Chinese after not having done any for almost 2 years :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 고구마

Original post by aersh8
Sorry to butt in I'm just really excited that I was able to read your Chinese after not having done any for almost 2 years :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm actually Chinese, and I can read/guess most of what you have written (I suck at reading in general though, a primary school kid is probably better than me at reading Chinese). I can speak it fluently though :lol:
Original post by aersh8

Posted from TSR Mobile

非常好 :biggrin: 你在哪里学过中文吗?
Original post by Bude8
I'm actually Chinese, and I can read/guess most of what you have written (I suck at reading in general though, a primary school kid is probably better than me at reading Chinese). I can speak it fluently though :lol:

ooh fellow Asian. WHY YOU NO DOCTOR YET?

ahem anyway, what part of China? cos I'm from Guangdong/HK, so I speak Cantonese
Original post by 고구마
非常好 :biggrin: 你在哪里学过中文吗?

Wo zai xue xiao xue guo zhong wen :smile: sorry I don't have a Chinese keyboard installed on my phone, I did IGCSE Chinese

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Wo zai xue xiao xue guo zhong wen :smile: sorry I don't have a Chinese keyboard installed on my phone, I did IGCSE Chinese

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah... (I)GCSE Chinese, seems more people are doing it.
Original post by 고구마
ooh fellow Asian. WHY YOU NO DOCTOR YET?

ahem anyway, what part of China? cos I'm from Guangdong/HK, so I speak Cantonese

My parents didn't give me the whole 'doctor' business :lol: they only want me to go to Cambridge though! (which is 100% not happening :lol:)

'You want to go to Bath? You can go bath in your en suite in Cambridge'

I'm actually from Australia, but my parents are from Fu Zhou. I have a lot of friends from HK though, so I know a few phrases in Cantonese. I suppose I could learn Cantonese from just listening while focused since the grammar is very similar to Mandarin but I ceeb :dontknow:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 고구마
ah... (I)GCSE Chinese, seems more people are doing it.

Yeah, there are more and more kids taking it every year at my school :smile: it was really interesting, I would have loved to continue it to A level but my school doesn't offer it and I wouldn't have been able to self-teach it...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
My parents didn't give me the whole 'doctor' business :lol: they only want me to go to Cambridge though! (which is 100% not happening :lol)

'You want to go to Bath? You can go bath in your en suite in Cambridge'

I'm actually from Australia, but my parents are from Fu Zhou. I have a lot of friends from HK though, so I know a few phrases in Cantonese. I suppose I could learn Cantonese from just listening while focused since the grammar is very similar to Mandarin but I ceeb :dontknow:

G'day mate (I profusely apologise... sorry :biggrin:) ... aaanywayyyy gotta love Asian parent sass... but Cantonese has 6 tones not 4, so good luck learning Cantonese :argh: Is it true that Tony Abott is a complete dickhead, cos I have the impression that he has an approval rating of -1%?
Original post by 고구마
G'day mate (I profusely apologise... sorry :biggrin:) ... aaanywayyyy gotta love Asian parent sass... but Cantonese has 6 tones not 4, so good luck learning Cantonese :argh: Is it true that Tony Abott is a complete dickhead, cos I have the impression that he has an approval rating of -1%?

I'm generally quite good at learning languages as I find vocab and grammar easy to pick up, but yeah, my pronunciation is a bit dodgy; people from Fu Zhou also have dodgy pronunciations in Mandarin too (I've lived there for like 6 years since birth, haven't been back since). Also, I am completely the wrong person to ask about politics :redface:
Original post by Bude8
I'm generally quite good at learning languages as I find vocab and grammar easy to pick up, but yeah, my pronunciation is a bit dodgy; people from Fu Zhou also have dodgy pronunciations in Mandarin too (I've lived there for like 6 years since birth, haven't been back since). Also, I am completely the wrong person to ask about politics :redface:

Mmm... considering Fuzhou is in Fujian, that's pretty provincial, so I probably wouldn't understand a amalgamation of sounds expressed .. and it's fair not to know anything about politics... but I did hear that Abott was going to destroy the Great Barrier Reef or something...
Original post by 고구마
Mmm... considering Fuzhou is in Fujian, that's pretty provincial, so I probably wouldn't understand a amalgamation of sounds expressed .. and it's fair not to know anything about politics... but I did hear that Abott was going to destroy the Great Barrier Reef or something...

I use Fuzhou and Fujian interchangeably, I can never remember which one is in which, but I'm talking about the general area :lol: Politics just bores me :dontknow:

I can't imagine myself moving back to Aus, but I've still got my citizenship in case I ever need to :lol:
What's everyone listening to?
Original post by Bude8
What's everyone listening to?

I'm on a Wolf Alice vibe tonight. Moaning Lisa Smile is a tune :biggrin:
Usually though its either the strokes, joy division, stone roses or the hives

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest