The Student Room Group

Classical conditioning question

Can you condition yourself to change your feelings about someone.
For example, if you wanted to dislike someone could you associate them with pain or something by getting them to hit you whenever you saw them which would make you dislike them? Or do it by, in one evening, getting them to hit you whenever you opened your eyes. (Have eyes closed, as soon as you open them get hit. Close eyes, repeat)

(Last time I did psychology was 2 years ago, so I'm not sure about how accurate that method is of doing things, so correct me if I've said something awfully wrong)

Yeah, any help is welcome
Reply 1
Original post by 870136
For example, if you wanted to dislike someone could you associate them with pain or something by getting them to hit you whenever you saw them which would make you dislike them? Or do it by, in one evening, getting them to hit you whenever you opened your eyes. (Have eyes closed, as soon as you open them get hit. Close eyes, repeat)

(Last time I did psychology was 2 years ago, so I'm not sure about how accurate that method is of doing things, so correct me if I've said something awfully wrong)

I suppose it may be possible using the aversion method you have described. I don't know why anyone would want to go through that much pain though. However, other studies have shown that aversion therapy doesn't neutralise emotions, such as when Dr Christian Jessen underwent a process of aversion therapy in attempt to investigate whether it would 'cure' his homosexuality. It failed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Davalla
I suppose it may be possible using the aversion method you have described. I don't know why anyone would want to go through that much pain though. However, other studies have shown that aversion therapy doesn't neutralise emotions, such as when Dr Christian Jessen underwent a process of aversion therapy in attempt to investigate whether it would 'cure' his homosexuality. It failed.

I'm willing to try anything, even that much pain.
Reply 3
Original post by 870136

Theoretically you can, but I don't know why you would want to
Reply 4
Original post by Bjcross
Theoretically you can, but I don't know why you would want to

What would be so bad about doing it?
Reply 5
Original post by 870136
What would be so bad about doing it?

Would you be willing to punch yourself in public every time you see the person at the bus stop, etc?
Reply 6
Original post by Davalla
Would you be willing to punch yourself in public every time you see the person at the bus stop, etc?

I won't see them at the bus stop often at all. Probably at most once every month. And yeah I'd be willing to do it. I wouldn't have to do it for that long would I? I'm not really sure how it works, but after a while wouldn't it just be an automatic thing when I see her? Or is the fact I'm consciously doing it going to make that harder?
Reply 7
Original post by 870136
I won't see them at the bus stop often at all. Probably at most once every month. And yeah I'd be willing to do it. I wouldn't have to do it for that long would I? I'm not really sure how it works, but after a while wouldn't it just be an automatic thing when I see her? Or is the fact I'm consciously doing it going to make that harder?

Well since the pain is self inflicted; you will probably end up telling yourself to stop hitting yourself so often that you would eventually give up, thus nothing would be conditioned (I.e you would become scared of yourself rather than the person you try to avoid?). If you're only going to see them once per month; it would take a long time. Why even bother if you see her so little?

The bus stop was just an example of saying 'would you be willing to hit yourself in front of people?'.

I'm reality; aversion therapy is more for behaviour changes rather than emotional behaviour. Perhaps try cognitive therapy, in which you simply change your views of that person, for example: imagining her 'inside out'.
Reply 8
Original post by Davalla
Well since the pain is self inflicted; you will probably end up telling yourself to stop hitting yourself so often that you would eventually give up, thus nothing would be conditioned (I.e you would become scared of yourself rather than the person you try to avoid?). If you're only going to see them once per month; it would take a long time. Why even bother if you see her so little?

The bus stop was just an example of saying 'would you be willing to hit yourself in front of people?'.

I'm reality; aversion therapy is more for behaviour changes rather than emotional behaviour. Perhaps try cognitive therapy, in which you simply change your views of that person, for example: imagining her 'inside out'.

Yeah, I forget that not everyone here gets the bus, so I figured you just assumed that I got the bus as well. I see her more often than that.

What do you mean imagine her 'inside out'? As in, intestines on the outside or as if everything I liked about her was reversed into stuff I didn't like?
Reply 9
Original post by 870136

What do you mean imagine her 'inside out'? As in, intestines on the outside or as if everything I liked about her was reversed into stuff I didn't like?

In that particular example, I meant intestines on the outside :mmm:. Or just change your views of her with things such as 'she's not perfect for me', etc (presuming you lust the lass in context :tongue:). Basically; just move on.

Quick Reply

Latest