The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jangrafess
People can support whoever the **** they want. Welcome to the thread as a Barnet supporter, even though you're the lesser Bees. I don't care that you also support Liverpool as this is the football league thread but I don't resent you for doing so.

I'm glad to see Barnet top of the Conference, I've always had a soft spot for them due to my Grandad being from around there and a few good Brentford youth games at Underhill.

Thanks man.

We may be the lower places bees, but we're not the lesser! :tongue:
Original post by PetrosAC
Thanks man.

We may be the lower places bees, but we're not the lesser! :tongue:

You keep telling yourself that :wink:
Watford this week complete their second stand renaming in as many home games. Good to see the Pozzos embrace the club's culture with the Graham Taylor and the Sir Elton John stand. I imagine 20 or so years down the line we could see a Gino Pozzo stand or something similar.
I'm a Liverpool fan, but I'm a massive Barnet supporter too. I refuse to buy Fifa until they get back into the Football League, though it's looking likely this season, as it's more fun playing as a League 2 team.

If you stay where you are and go up this season then huge credit to Barnet for returning to the FL within two seasons... something many of us only dream of achieving. Currently our seventh season and counting as it certainly won't be this season.
I must mention I went to watch Lincoln City the other night against Nuneaton which Lincoln won 3-1. Have to say Nuneaton were truly awful, one goal they let in was the defender headed it back to the keeper a bit too soft but the keeper would have made it if he hadn't have fallen over and the striker couldn't believe his luck, then that same defender got sent off few minutes later for wiping out the same striker through on goal, 16 Nuneaton fans made it that night and when they got a corner near the end they cheered like they had scored a goal.
Original post by ra-ra-ra
If you stay where you are and go up this season then huge credit to Barnet for returning to the FL within two seasons... something many of us only dream of achieving. Currently our seventh season and counting as it certainly won't be this season.

7 points clear and almost half way through the season, it's looking good for us. It's rare for teams to come back up that quickly. I'm just worried it might be too soon and we'll drop back down. Who do you support?
Hardly glory hunting mate. I've been a Liverpool fan all my life. I sat and cried during the 2005 Champions League Final (mind you, I was 8). We've hardly been glorious in my life time, so how I'm a glory hunter, I do not know.

Fair enough Liverpool are crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rock Fan
I must mention I went to watch Lincoln City the other night against Nuneaton which Lincoln won 3-1. Have to say Nuneaton were truly awful, one goal they let in was the defender headed it back to the keeper a bit too soft but the keeper would have made it if he hadn't have fallen over and the striker couldn't believe his luck, then that same defender got sent off few minutes later for wiping out the same striker through on goal, 16 Nuneaton fans made it that night and when they got a corner near the end they cheered like they had scored a goal.

Very niche game RF. Nuneaton not been the same since Wilkins left, one of the few part time clubs at that level so will always be up against it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Very niche game RF. Nuneaton not been the same since Wilkins left, one of the few part time clubs at that level so will always be up against it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah being part time they were always going to struggle in that league with most of the clubs full time.
7 points clear and almost half way through the season, it's looking good for us. It's rare for teams to come back up that quickly. I'm just worried it might be too soon and we'll drop back down. Who do you support?

I don't want to bring you down as seven points is a nice gap but there is still plenty of time to mess it up. All you need is two dodgy results and someone will soon close the gap. I thought we would have gone up the year we finished on 98 points, it never happened as Fleetwood managed to string together some better results whilst we took a slight dip at the same time and they finished on 103 points. If you're still seven points ahead at the start of April then I would say it's all yours. I'm a Wrexham fan.

The table certainly doesn't lie for Nuneaton then! I think us stealing their manager and two of their best players from the previous season (Moult and York) certainly hasn't helped them. Moult has been a great steal, we have a striker who can get into double figures!! I always appreciate those fans a little bit more than the fans that come with a decent following. I've seen a fair few where less than 10 have visited the Racecourse and when speaking to them before or after a match you can instantly see the passion in them and with it being such a small bunch you get that "togetherness" feeling from them. Wrexham have a decent away following so I've never been in that less than ten situation but I bet you can become quite close with those who made that journey with you.
I don't want to bring you down as seven points is a nice gap but there is still plenty of time to mess it up. All you need is two dodgy results and someone will soon close the gap. I thought we would have gone up the year we finished on 98 points, it never happened as Fleetwood managed to string together some better results whilst we took a slight dip at the same time and they finished on 103 points. If you're still seven points ahead at the start of April then I would say it's all yours. I'm a Wrexham fan.

The table certainly doesn't lie for Nuneaton then! I think us stealing their manager and two of their best players from the previous season (Moult and York) certainly hasn't helped them. Moult has been a great steal, we have a striker who can get into double figures!! I always appreciate those fans a little bit more than the fans that come with a decent following. I've seen a fair few where less than 10 have visited the Racecourse and when speaking to them before or after a match you can instantly see the passion in them and with it being such a small bunch you get that "togetherness" feeling from them. Wrexham have a decent away following so I've never been in that less than ten situation but I bet you can become quite close with those who made that journey with you.

That was mostly their problem, they had nothing up front, they couldn't keep possession and at the back they were so vulnerable.

I know, I know, there's plenty of time to mess up. But it's looking pretty good at the moment. That being said, Wrexham are only 7 points off 5th, you never know what might happen.
I know, I know, there's plenty of time to mess up. But it's looking pretty good at the moment. That being said, Wrexham are only 7 points off 5th, you never know what might happen.

Sorry, I was just speaking from experience of "messing it up" :wink: I don't blame you for getting a little carried away though... must be a pretty nice feeling just to be sitting at the top regardless of how many points ahead.

Ahh, I know but there is just something not working for us right now. I feel on paper we have a decent team considering what our budget allows us but we just don't seem to be clicking, so although we're only seven points off 5th I say we're nothing more than a mid-table team at this moment. Right now it's more of an achievement keeping 11 players on the pitch than it is getting all three points!
Sorry, I was just speaking from experience of "messing it up" :wink: I don't blame you for getting a little carried away though... must be a pretty nice feeling just to be sitting at the top regardless of how many points ahead.

Ahh, I know but there is just something not working for us right now. I feel on paper we have a decent team considering what our budget allows us but we just don't seem to be clicking, so although we're only seven points off 5th I say we're nothing more than a mid-table team at this moment. Right now it's more of an achievement keeping 11 players on the pitch than it is getting all three points!

The squad will click eventually, adding a few more in January and the summer and you could have a decent team. I guess that's what happened with Barnet.
The squad will click eventually, adding a few more in January and the summer and you could have a decent team. I guess that's what happened with Barnet.

This is where we differ. All our players only have one year contracts, this is the only downside to us being a fan-owned club, as we simply cannot afford to offer more than one year at the moment so come the summer we have to rebuild again as we lose quite a few players with them becoming a free transfer so it's difficult to keep the same set of players in order for them to gel.

We've been lucky enough to make it through to the third round of the FA Cup so the money we've already received from the competition and will receive from playing against Stoke has been said to go towards giving a couple of our key players a contract for next season. So that is something, but I just don't see it happening for us this season. As we always say... maybe next season!
This is where we differ. All our players only have one year contracts, this is the only downside to us being a fan-owned club, as we simply cannot afford to offer more than one year at the moment so come the summer we have to rebuild again as we lose quite a few players with them becoming a free transfer so it's difficult to keep the same set of players in order for them to gel.

We've been lucky enough to make it through to the third round of the FA Cup so the money we've already received from the competition and will receive from playing against Stoke has been said to go towards giving a couple of our key players a contract for next season. So that is something, but I just don't see it happening for us this season. As we always say... maybe next season!

Are Wrexham fully fan-owned, or is only a majority of share fan-owned.

It's gotta suck having to rebuild again and again, but if it clicks and you get promoted, you'll receive some money and be able to build further.
Time up for Hyypia?
Are Wrexham fully fan-owned, or is only a majority of share fan-owned.

It's gotta suck having to rebuild again and again, but if it clicks and you get promoted, you'll receive some money and be able to build further.

We're a fully fan-owned club so decisions regarding the club are made by our Supporters Trust. Glyndwr University own our ground so it's up to them what they do with the ground though. Considering we have a partnership with them and have formed a football academy so our players can play football and study for a degree at the same time I feel our ground is safe for the time being, so no having to worry about it being sold off to developers like our last owners were so very close to doing.
Original post by Mackay
Time up for Hyypia?

Yeah they've dropped into the bottom 3 after losing to Millwall tonight, bad result. Darrent Bent doesn't seem to be doing much for them.
Big match for the Wolves tomorrow, we don't usually lose in Sheffield but I can't be thinking more positively than a point after our run (At least we have no Mike Jones this week though)

Yeah they've dropped into the bottom 3 after losing to Millwall tonight, bad result. Darrent Bent doesn't seem to be doing much for them.

He hasn't done much for a looooooong time!

Quick Reply

Latest