The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else for 12th of January?
Original post by Pandas&Penguins
Yep, I do :hello: What stream have you applied for?

Awesome :smile:
I've applied for the generalist stream, with hopes for either the diplomatic stream (first choice) or central departments. What have you chosen?
I'm a bit worried about getting there on time, I only live an hour and a half train ride to kings cross, but I'm debating getting there the night before and staying in a travellodge....
Original post by Copycats&Acrobats
Awesome :smile:
I've applied for the generalist stream, with hopes for either the diplomatic stream (first choice) or central departments. What have you chosen?
I'm a bit worried about getting there on time, I only live an hour and a half train ride to kings cross, but I'm debating getting there the night before and staying in a travellodge....

I've applied for generalist stream too with 1st choice houses of parliament and digital and technology stream as a back up. If I were you I'd book a hotel. I'm only an hour away and I booked into the premier inn across the river. If they're willing to pay expenses I just don't think it's worth the stress and worry of gambling on the trains! Plus really want a good night's sleep in prep :smile:
I didn't think that they'd be willing to pay expenses like that though... And hotels are expensive as hell. Out of curiosity how much was your hotel? I suppose I could book it in advance...
I didn't think that they'd be willing to pay expenses like that though... And hotels are expensive as hell. Out of curiosity how much was your hotel? I suppose I could book it in advance...

Um they will reimburse you up to £120 for hotel + evening meal the night before. They'll pay back your train fares too. You just have to pay the first £10. The premier inn across the river is probably the way to go, I've booked a room for £103 and it's a 10 minute walk from the assessment centre. So I can splash out £17 on, like, Pizza Express takeaway, or something nice in the South Bank the night before too. You can find the details if you click the link helpfully named 'Expenses' on the left of the application page after you log in.

You shouldn't just assume these things! At this stage it looks like they're willing to put a fair few £s into assessing applicants.
(edited 9 years ago)

Yeah, what tritonsails said. I think I paid the same 103. You should definitely look into it :smile:
I attended FSAC on 2nd and my status just updated to "awaiting result", anyone else get the same/different change?
Are there lots of history graduates in here? I'll probably be applying for this once I get my degree since it's not like there's much else that I can do hehe
Original post by ProbablyNoGod
I attended FSAC on 2nd and my status just updated to "awaiting result", anyone else get the same/different change?

I only attended the FSAC yesterday and am still on 'awaiting event'. Good luck, I hope you get your results soon!
Original post by kaizzu
Are there lots of history graduates in here? I'll probably be applying for this once I get my degree since it's not like there's much else that I can do hehe

The stats are in the FS recruitment reports online. Social Science graduates definitely make up a high percentage.
Reply 1370
Original post by ProbablyNoGod

Exactly the same, hoping that we might find out before Christmas now.
Hi, I attended on 4th of Dec, my stutus has just changed to Awaiting Results/Results in Progress. Does anyone know how long does it normally take between Awaiting Results and View Results?
The suspense is killing me!
Had my FSAC on Monday the 8th, my application has changed from Awaiting event to Awaiting results finally!
Hi Guys,

Clearly I am very, very late to the party. So I applied for the Diplomatic Stream and got an AC on the 7th Jan.
Is there anyone kind enough to summarise the key information contained within this thread, specifically relating to the Diplomatic Service...
As i understand it, the FSAC is not the final round- does anyone know the competition or what happens after FSAC?
Also, I come from the investment banking field, but have a strong interest in International Relations. Ironically, a lot of the skills required for a trader can be mapped to that of a diplomat.
I've seen a lot of 'Amber Banded'- I have no idea what this means but i guess it doesn't apply to me because I have been invited to an FSAC?

Any hints, tips, advice or general information regarding this particular stream would be extremely appreciated.

And for all those who are either going to attend an FSAC or are awaiting results, good luck!
Original post by lucy_sky
Hi, I attended on 4th of Dec, my stutus has just changed to Awaiting Results/Results in Progress. Does anyone know how long does it normally take between Awaiting Results and View Results?

Hi mine changed to awaiting results too and i attended on 4th
Original post by MessiMagic
Hi Guys,

Clearly I am very, very late to the party. So I applied for the Diplomatic Stream and got an AC on the 7th Jan.
Is there anyone kind enough to summarise the key information contained within this thread, specifically relating to the Diplomatic Service...
As i understand it, the FSAC is not the final round- does anyone know the competition or what happens after FSAC?
Also, I come from the investment banking field, but have a strong interest in International Relations. Ironically, a lot of the skills required for a trader can be mapped to that of a diplomat.
I've seen a lot of 'Amber Banded'- I have no idea what this means but i guess it doesn't apply to me because I have been invited to an FSAC?

Any hints, tips, advice or general information regarding this particular stream would be extremely appreciated.

And for all those who are either going to attend an FSAC or are awaiting results, good luck!

The best advice on FSACs is contained in the guidance you can download from the forms section of your application account. There should be guidance there on any Final Selection Boards for Diplomats.

Amber banded means you are not yet definitely successful or definitely unsuccessful at a given stage and are awaiting further 'band narrowing'.
Reply 1377
How hard is the Fast Stream Assessment Centre itself and the exercises?
I thinks it depends on what you see as 'hard', there are 4 exercises and each one tests different set of skills. Personally, I found the policy exercise quite challenging - you don't have enough time to familiarise yourself with the materials in detail and need to write a policy brief very quickly (there won't be time for much planning). Also you start at 8 and finish after 5 - you need to stay focused at all times, so this may be challenging as you will start to feel tired at some point.
Reply 1379
Original post by lucy_sky
I thinks it depends on what you see as 'hard', there are 4 exercises and each one tests different set of skills. Personally, I found the policy exercise quite challenging - you don't have enough time to familiarise yourself with the materials in detail and need to write a policy brief very quickly (there won't be time for much planning). Also you start at 8 and finish after 5 - you need to stay focused at all times, so this may be challenging as you will start to feel tired at some point.

Thanks for that, how many applicants are there on the day at the assessment centre?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending