The Student Room Group

Advise me please!

Hi all, i am facing following problems regarding my application, given i can only apply within Glasgow:

1. Glasgow university needs a B grade in maths to enter psychology related and its pure undergraduate courses but i am performing poor in A - levels maths...my head wants me to drop it because i will mess up other subjects as well.
2.Strathclyde is another good option, i need to send my application soon but do not know whether to put maths in it or not? If i do, then my offers from uws, caledonian and strathclyde will also be based on considering maths my fourth a level subject.I just cannot decide whether to drop it or not?What if i do not get an offer from strathclyde...i like going there?

IS THERE ANY OPTION ON UCAS TO PUT DIFFERENT A LEVELS SUBJECTS FOR DIFFERENT UNIVERSITIES?
Thanks for the help!
Original post by Haris Tariq
Hi all, i am facing following problems regarding my application, given i can only apply within Glasgow:

1. Glasgow university needs a B grade in maths to enter psychology related and its pure undergraduate courses but i am performing poor in A - levels maths...my head wants me to drop it because i will mess up other subjects as well.
2.Strathclyde is another good option, i need to send my application soon but do not know whether to put maths in it or not? If i do, then my offers from uws, caledonian and strathclyde will also be based on considering maths my fourth a level subject.I just cannot decide whether to drop it or not?What if i do not get an offer from strathclyde...i like going there?

IS THERE ANY OPTION ON UCAS TO PUT DIFFERENT A LEVELS SUBJECTS FOR DIFFERENT UNIVERSITIES?
Thanks for the help!

The answer is simple in that you are required to declare all exams and not to do so is regarded as fraud.

Thanks for the help!

No, you have to send the same application to all universities. You really need to decide if you are going to drop maths or not before you send your application off. Some universities may allow you to use your 3 best A-levels in order to meet the offer.

Why are Glasgow asking for maths? Is it because they require 2 or more maths/science A-levels? If so, could you delay for a year, and take an extra A-level on a gap year?

Speaking as someone who did maths as one of 4 A-levels, if you are struggling at this stage, it's unlikely you will get a good grade for it, so dropping it might be best.

Why are you limited to applying within Glasgow?
Reply 3
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
No, you have to send the same application to all universities. You really need to decide if you are going to drop maths or not before you send your application off. Some universities may allow you to use your 3 best A-levels in order to meet the offer.

Why are Glasgow asking for maths? Is it because they require 2 or more maths/science A-levels? If so, could you delay for a year, and take an extra A-level on a gap year?

Speaking as someone who did maths as one of 4 A-levels, if you are struggling at this stage, it's unlikely you will get a good grade for it, so dropping it might be best.

Why are you limited to applying within Glasgow?

No, i dont want to delay it for an year.

Glasgow needs at least one science subject, in my case it is maths, they might exempt me due to psychology at a levels but i am not sure, they don't reply e mails these days.

I am an international student and have relatives in the city where i can stay.

Well, nevertheless my heart is set at Strathclyde for hrm and psychology... i am not sure whether i will get an offer from there, if not then i will just be left with uni of west scotland and caledoinan,, which i think aren't good! especially when job is needed in any part of Europe?
BTW thanks for the help and interest!
No, i dont want to delay it for an year.

Glasgow needs at least one science subject, in my case it is maths, they might exempt me due to psychology at a levels but i am not sure, they don't reply e mails these days.

I am an international student and have relatives in the city where i can stay.

Well, nevertheless my heart is set at Strathclyde for hrm and psychology... i am not sure whether i will get an offer from there, if not then i will just be left with uni of west scotland and caledoinan,, which i think aren't good! especially when job is needed in any part of Europe?
BTW thanks for the help and interest!

Psychology is usually considered a science subject for the purpose of university admissions, as is geography. However, from Glasgow's website, it seems that they want maths, and one other science subject (in this case psychology).

If you are tightly limited to where you can apply, then I would consider keeping up with the maths, and trying to improve your grade, perhaps with outside tutoring?

It's not worth paying international fees for a uni you don't think is good.
Reply 5
Psychology is usually considered a science subject for the purpose of university admissions, as is geography. However, from Glasgow's website, it seems that they want maths, and one other science subject (in this case psychology).

If you are tightly limited to where you can apply, then I would consider keeping up with the maths, and trying to improve your grade, perhaps with outside tutoring?

It's not worth paying international fees for a uni you don't think is good.

i am at d garde in maths right now and for uni of glasgow, for which i will only be doing maths, requires AAB, will i be able to get a B with A in others is questionable.
Plus am looking for joint honours with business or management or hrm and my heart is set at Strathclyde's joint honours in HRM and psychology.

Just for one uni, do u think i should risk my two other subjects? i had 2 A stars in O levels and 7 A grades, so i think i will get an offer from strathclyde. Actually i believe that businees school of sstrth will give an edge plus it requires only ABB, and it is gaining reputation quite quick.pLus work load of glasgow seems to be very much.any idea?which one will u prefer?

And please tell if i need to change university after completing one year in some other university, how feasible and possible is that? e.g completing first year in cale. and then transferring in glasgow or something else.
i am at d garde in maths right now and for uni of glasgow, for which i will only be doing maths, requires AAB, will i be able to get a B with A in others is questionable.
Plus am looking for joint honours with business or management or hrm and my heart is set at Strathclyde's joint honours in HRM and psychology.

Just for one uni, do u think i should risk my two other subjects? i had 2 A stars in O levels and 7 A grades, so i think i will get an offer from strathclyde. Actually i believe that businees school of sstrth will give an edge plus it requires only ABB, and it is gaining reputation quite quick.pLus work load of glasgow seems to be very much.any idea?which one will u prefer?

And please tell if i need to change university after completing one year in some other university, how feasible and possible is that? e.g completing first year in cale. and then transferring in glasgow or something else.

If you can get into Strathclyde without the maths, and that's your preferred option, then dropping maths before you apply is probably best. Ultimately, I think you should chose the uni you prefer, which is obviously Strathclyde- giving my opinion is of little value as I don't know either uni well, and I don't have to study there for 3+ years!

Changing uni after first year is possible, but it may not be possible if you don't meet the original entry requirements for the course.

Universities are more likely to be interested in your AS grades and predicted grades than your GCSEs/O-levels.
Reply 7
If you can get into Strathclyde without the maths, and that's your preferred option, then dropping maths before you apply is probably best. Ultimately, I think you should chose the uni you prefer, which is obviously Strathclyde- giving my opinion is of little value as I don't know either uni well, and I don't have to study there for 3+ years!

Changing uni after first year is possible, but it may not be possible if you don't meet the original entry requirements for the course.

Universities are more likely to be interested in your AS grades and predicted grades than your GCSEs/O-levels.

I am just so much grateful for the time you took out to help me out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending