The Student Room Group

Marine and Natural History Photography at Falmouth

hi guys:smile: anyone here applying for Marine and Natural History Photography at Falmouth University? if so, what are your other choices for ucas? :smile:
i'm feeling a bit lost because these courses are really rare in the uk :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey, just giving this thread a bump. :bump: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help you get more responses. :yy:
If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university!
Hi Daphne,
I've applied to do Marine and Natural History Photography at Falmouth, although it is not an area of photography that I have really experimented in. However, I really want to do it and i've seen present students images and they are just amazing. I've applied just to do photography at Brighton and a couple of London Uni's. The MNHP course is the only one is europe - i think and yeah i agree there's no other course thats like it.
Reply 3
Original post by JHolyoake
Hi Daphne,
I've applied to do Marine and Natural History Photography at Falmouth, although it is not an area of photography that I have really experimented in. However, I really want to do it and i've seen present students images and they are just amazing. I've applied just to do photography at Brighton and a couple of London Uni's. The MNHP course is the only one is europe - i think and yeah i agree there's no other course thats like it.

Hello:biggrin: (so excited about finally finding someone applying to this course as well!!)
I agree the photos the students produce are amazing! I'm just dying to get in...
What kind of photography do you do?
Have you received any task to do or an invitation to interview for the MNHP course yet?
I applied to Brighton as well but I've applied to do Environment and Media Studies. Other choices are just photography at art unis.
Hi, sorry I didn't see your reply. I've only just signed up to TSR so still getting use to it.
I know how you feel about finding others applying to this course, I've looked quite a bit online for others who are applying but it's like a needle in a haystack.
I have liked the Marine and Natural Photography Falmouth page on facebook so I can see some of their work, and I've looked on twitter as well. The majority of the work that I have seen of people who are currently studying the course is really cool!
At the moment I study photography at Sixth Form and to be honest I'm quite interested in a range of genres in photography: Street Photography, Still Life, Documentary. However, sometimes when I look at some of my wildlife photography books or see pictures online it's the only type of photography that I really go wow at. I have a bit of a fascination with Marine animals really so that's another big factor for applying for the MNHP course.
I sent my UCAS off on Thursday and last week I checked on the Falmouth Application Portal thing to see that I had some tasks to do: Take a series of 10 photos that show my interest in natural history, write a short statement along with these images, submit 15 other photographs and also submit an example of my writing (e.g an essay). Did you get something similar? For the 15 other photographs that you have to put in a seperate folder are you submitting any images that is not marine/natural history photography?
In the end I applied to do Photography at Brighton, Roehampton which is close to me and also applied to do just PHotography at Falmouth as I love the Uni so much.
Reply 5
Hi, I was looking at doing the marine and nature photography course a while back and I'm still unsure of whether to go, or follow up my foundation art ideas. But it looks amazing.

Back when i was in A Level my school went round and they've got some awesome equipment (underwater camera is so cool)

Im unsure of whether to apply because i have so many interests in photography and art and I don't want to limit myself, does anyone else get this or should i just go for it?

Also to do the marine photography and film you need a diving certificate which you have to pay for yourself! So if i were you i'd try to get that before you go

Merry Christmas,

Tom
Hi Tadbeck, I cannot really say a lot about the art foundation courses as I've decided to just go straight into photography.
I think we're similar as I have quite a few different interests in photography: as I've said previously street photography, documentary, still life. However I felt that the MNHP course was just so amazing and inspirational and I would be thrilled to be accepted onto the course as I know I'd learn so much.
I have read other conversations on here about the diving course but I think as the marine photography section starts on year 2 you can do the course down in Falmouth.
Reply 7
Hi, sorry I didn't see your reply. I've only just signed up to TSR so still getting use to it.
I know how you feel about finding others applying to this course, I've looked quite a bit online for others who are applying but it's like a needle in a haystack.
I have liked the Marine and Natural Photography Falmouth page on facebook so I can see some of their work, and I've looked on twitter as well. The majority of the work that I have seen of people who are currently studying the course is really cool!
At the moment I study photography at Sixth Form and to be honest I'm quite interested in a range of genres in photography: Street Photography, Still Life, Documentary. However, sometimes when I look at some of my wildlife photography books or see pictures online it's the only type of photography that I really go wow at. I have a bit of a fascination with Marine animals really so that's another big factor for applying for the MNHP course.
I sent my UCAS off on Thursday and last week I checked on the Falmouth Application Portal thing to see that I had some tasks to do: Take a series of 10 photos that show my interest in natural history, write a short statement along with these images, submit 15 other photographs and also submit an example of my writing (e.g an essay). Did you get something similar? For the 15 other photographs that you have to put in a seperate folder are you submitting any images that is not marine/natural history photography?
In the end I applied to do Photography at Brighton, Roehampton which is close to me and also applied to do just PHotography at Falmouth as I love the Uni so much.

Hi it's fine! I'm also new so I'm still getting my head round it as well. Do you know anyone else applying to this course?
I'm also doing Photography in A Level!
Yes I have something similar but I don't think I have the writing to do yet... don't know why...
I have to send 10 images of any natural history subject that interests me and 15 pictures of my other photography. For the 15 other photographs, I think I'm submitting a mix of genres including landscapes, architecture photography, astrophotography and natural history photography.
How about you? Have you submitted your portfolio already?
Hope you had a good christmas! I don't know anyone else applying to this course, some of the people that I know that are applying to do photograpy are mainly applying to London Uni's.
I submitted my online portfolio for this course on the 22nd December I think, so now I just have to wait until January to hear back. And oh thats strange, I had to write a short statement about the series of 10 images explaining my intent, visual influences and also 3 photographers that may have influenced me. For the 15 images I submitted a mixture of the work that I have done across the 2 years, but on the Falmouth Portal it said that they wanted the work that I was submitting in only 2 folders, so I had to put all of the 15 images into just one folder.
Reply 9
Hope you had a good christmas! I don't know anyone else applying to this course, some of the people that I know that are applying to do photograpy are mainly applying to London Uni's.
I submitted my online portfolio for this course on the 22nd December I think, so now I just have to wait until January to hear back. And oh thats strange, I had to write a short statement about the series of 10 images explaining my intent, visual influences and also 3 photographers that may have influenced me. For the 15 images I submitted a mixture of the work that I have done across the 2 years, but on the Falmouth Portal it said that they wanted the work that I was submitting in only 2 folders, so I had to put all of the 15 images into just one folder.

Happy New Year!
I see. I haven't submitted my portfolio yet, will do so next week. Actually I'm not sure whether I need to submit the short piece of writing of 500 words as mentioned in the portfolio guide, because when the head of the course (Jim) contacted me through email he didn't mention about the statement. I suppose I need to though, gotta work on it now:ahhhhh:
Hi sorry for the late reply and happy new year! Oh, that's quite strange that we have been told to do different things. I actually received an email the other day telling me that I have an interview which is really good! I'm just trying to sort out my interview date now which is exciting but nerve wracking! I hope your application goes well, have you been able to send it yet?
Reply 11
Hi sorry for the late reply and happy new year! Oh, that's quite strange that we have been told to do different things. I actually received an email the other day telling me that I have an interview which is really good! I'm just trying to sort out my interview date now which is exciting but nerve wracking! I hope your application goes well, have you been able to send it yet?

Hi:smile: that's great congratulations!!! can you choose your own interview date?
I'm still working on my 500 word statement, will send it out next week.
Hi, thank you! Umm I was given an interview date that I couldn't make. I've applied to do photography at Falmouth as well as it's one of my choices and so I received an email from them asking me if I want to wait to see if I receive an interview for photography and then if I do they will try and get my interviews on the same day. I hope you get your essay sorted and that you receive an email as well, good luck!
Reply 13
Hi, thank you! Umm I was given an interview date that I couldn't make. I've applied to do photography at Falmouth as well as it's one of my choices and so I received an email from them asking me if I want to wait to see if I receive an interview for photography and then if I do they will try and get my interviews on the same day. I hope you get your essay sorted and that you receive an email as well, good luck!

Hi:smile: I've submitted my online portfolio today and got an email back saying they want to interview me by telephone!
good luck, hope you will hear back from the photography course soon.
Hi, Im so pleased for you that you've got a telephone interview. Luckily enough I have now been invited for an interview for the BA Photography course and they have arranged for me to have both interviews on the 5th March. Good luck as well, hope everything goes well!
Reply 15
Hi, Im so pleased for you that you've got a telephone interview. Luckily enough I have now been invited for an interview for the BA Photography course and they have arranged for me to have both interviews on the 5th March. Good luck as well, hope everything goes well!

Just finished my interview... I'm hoping it went well?
Can't wait to hear back!
Good luck in both of your interviews:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by daphnesx
Just finished my interview... I'm hoping it went well?
Can't wait to hear back!
Good luck in both of your interviews:smile:

Just got a conditional offer!! So happy:biggrin:

How long after you applied did you have to wait for the interview invitation? I've applied for photography as well and as asked to send them my mini portfolio but haven't heard anything since and it's been almost two weeks. Just getting anxious as it's by far my top choice.
Anyone is invited for an interview on 18th of February? I have the interview for BA Photography though....
Original post by daphnesx
Just got a conditional offer!! So happy:biggrin:

Thats Great, Well Done! Im guessing the interview went really well then. If you dont mind me asking, what were some of the questions that they asked you? Even though mine is quite a while away im still really nervous!

Quick Reply

Latest