The Student Room Group

Geminid meteor shower set to light up skies over Britain tonight

Spectacular showers of up to 100 shooting stars a minute will light up the skies over Britain tonight - although they'll peak at 2am, so viewers will have to stay up late and stay at least semi-sober.

Night owls will be rewarded with spectacular multi-coloured meteors which might include occasional rapid bursts of two or three.

Sky watchers say that conditions are ‘perfect’ to view the Geminid meteor shower as long as the sky isn’t clouded over.

The best time to see the meteors will be at around 2am when the ‘radiant’ the point in the sky from which the meteors appear to originate is almost overhead, next to the constellation Gemini.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/12/thousands-of-multi-coloured-shooting-stars-to-light-up-sky-over-britain-tonight-4984391/

Sounds awesome, I've never seen a meteor shower before. Who else will be staying up to watch it?

Scroll to see replies

I will but doubt Ill see it from where I am - seen meteor showers before though :smile:
yes, i will :biggrin: never seen one before!
Heck yes I'll be awake!
Geminid meteors and studying?
Couldn't have a better night :wink:
Will watch.
Are you mad?
Haven't you read The Day of the Triffids? 😨
Reply 6
Original post by caravaggio2
Are you mad?
Haven't you read The Day of the Triffids? ������

Thank you so much! An old science teacher of mine mentioned a sci-fi book about everyone going blind, and I couldn't remember what it was called. After looking it up, I think it's definitely that one that he was talking about.

It looks really good, I'll definitely read it!
It's pouring it down right now, so it's not looking hopeful, but if it clears later on, I will definitely have a peek :smile:.
Why is it clear now and forecast to be cloudy at 2am. :hmpf:
Original post by Mad Vlad
Why is it clear now and forecast to be cloudy at 2am. :hmpf:

Because clouds move.

something to do with man made global climate warming / whatever it is called this time round.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Meteor showers are always a bit **** really.
I'll watch seeing as I'm on a gap year and work till about 3 anyway
Reply 12
Original post by L i b
Meteor showers are always a bit **** really.

Really? What don't you like about them? Do you feel that way about astronomy in general?

I'll still be watching because I'm intrigued to find out what they look like, and it's something that I'd love to be able to say that I've seen during my lifetime.
Reply 13
Original post by lustawny
Really? What don't you like about them? Do you feel that way about astronomy in general?

I'll still be watching because I'm intrigued to find out what they look like, and it's something that I'd love to be able to say that I've seen during my lifetime.

I remember going out to see one when I was a child. I was expecting it to rain with stars, to be like a pepper shaker emptied over a candle. Instead I got "oh, look there's one [boring pause] and there's another one... oh, I think we missed one".
Reply 14
Original post by L i b
I remember going out to see one when I was a child. I was expecting it to rain with stars, to be like a pepper shaker emptied over a candle. Instead I got "oh, look there's one [boring pause] and there's another one... oh, I think we missed one".

I'd be a bit disappointed if that happened with this one. I have to admit, I'm (perhaps naively) expecting something like the image in the article that I linked in the OP:

Reply 15
It looks to be a clear night in L'pool, unfortunately I think the light pollution will foil my plans
Reply 16
Funnily enough I was just walking home and admiring the stars... Saw f all. Now it's cloudy. The woes of the south!
Anyone in the Midlands watching it :confused:
Sky is clear :cool:
is their any activity? my roller blinds are closed and dont know if i can be bothered to get of youtube lol

Quick Reply

Latest