The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JamesR12
Current form only. Put Sterling in their teams and he'd be merking it

This is pretty deluded imo. All 3 of those players are more well rounded players, have better or equivalent technique and a wider passing range than Sterling. The only thing Sterling has over them is raw pace and it isnt as if Oscar and Willian are slow. Milners work ethic and teamwork make him an underrated player imo and he would be one of the first names on the England team sheet for me.

Montero I like, I'll have him. Dyer never. Ki is a maybe, probably take Ki over Allen. Siggurdsson is competing with Raheem really, so nothing doing there.

Ki is suprerior to Allen in that his possession game is solid, has better technique, is a better tackler and he can actually play a forward pass. Liverpool are crying out for a creative, goalscorer like Sigurdsson imo. Lallana could be that player though.
Original post by Zerforax
Let's not forget that Origi will come into the fold in the summer.

Highly doubt Origi will have an instant impact.

He hasn't scored a goal in nearly 1000mins of action so it's not like he's going to be a solution. This was just Liverpool dun goofing again.
Original post by jam277
Highly doubt Origi will have an instant impact.

He hasn't scored a goal in nearly 1000mins of action so it's not like he's going to be a solution. This was just Liverpool dun goofing again.

True he's not scored much this season so I guess he'd just replace the non-existent Borini in the squad.
Original post by Zerforax
True he's not scored much this season so I guess he'd just replace the non-existent Borini in the squad.

Possibly but it's all about the team you're with.

As somebody said above, put sterling in a top team and he'd be killing it.

Get Origi the chances and why can't he score like he does for his country?
Original post by Lúcio
Possibly but it's all about the team you're with.

As somebody said above, put sterling in a top team and he'd be killing it.

Get Origi the chances and why can't he score like he does for his country?

He's got 3 goals in 12 matches for Belgium so I dunno where you've built this image of his profligacy up from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Oscar, Milner and Willian are all better than Sterling though. Oscar and Willian are also reasonably young too.

I was gutted at the time, but in hindsight, I'm absolutely exasperated we missed out on Willian, Konoplyanka AND Salah within one transfer window.
Lambert did very well last year. Might just have been a lucky season but he was playing with confidence and was excellent for Soton. Gomis is a good player and I was impressed that Swansea did get him, he's long been linked to bigger clubs.

How is he, with a strike partner? From what I've seen he looks best as a lone forward, but then again he played as a number 10 in Holland and I don't watch you guys week in week out.

He's somewhat strong, all round fairly talented, very quick, likes taking his man on and is a good shooter from range. Sturridge-lite. Just a name I've thrown out, I can't claim to know loads about him. Not sure if we do have any French football experts on here.

He rarely has played with a partner, but him and Michu were terrible together. Michu was a stroppy **** by the time Bony came though.

And with Bafa, I feel they don't either. I have only seen it a couple of times, but both times it was towards the end of a game. They did 4-4-2 in pre season with Sigs on left and got thrashed 3-0 against Villareal too - apparently terrible. But that was pre season and 4-4-2 is rarely trialled since. Worth mentioning Swansea's system is so entirely aimed at 4 2 3 1 and 4 3 3, that I've never seen another effective formation. Brings out the best in average players like Dyer and Routledge. I use average lightly, as I mean they wouldn't cut it in many other PL sides systems - but are really effective, in the same way Sigs is. Though Sigurdsson is on a higher level, one akin to Bony's imo.

I mean, he may work well with someone like Sturridge. Difficult to say really, I don't know football well enough to make a decision to make a calculated decision. He may, he may not.
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
He's got 3 goals in 12 matches for Belgium so I dunno where you've built this image of his profligacy up from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
profligacy or prolificacy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fizzel
profligacy or prolificacy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whichever one means he scores a ****load of goals.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whichever one means he scores a ****load of goals.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're opposites, I guessed that's what you meant though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fizzel
They're opposites, I guessed that's what you meant though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I'm dyslexic. Strange because I did English A-Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay
I was gutted at the time, but in hindsight, I'm absolutely exasperated we missed out on Willian, Konoplyanka AND Salah within one transfer window.

Were Liverpool ever in for Willian? I thought he was Spurs bound before Chelsea nicked him.
Original post by sr90
Were Liverpool ever in for Willian? I thought he was Spurs bound before Chelsea nicked him.

It works like this:

- Liverpool want a player
- Spurs scouts copy whoever they want
- Chelsea troll both by buying the player

Literally all Tottenham scouts do is "buy whoever Liverpool want" ffs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90

Lot of reports that we were but then he was meant to be having a medical at Spurs and then ended up at Chelsea.
It works like this:

- Liverpool want a player
- Spurs scouts copy whoever they want
- Chelsea troll both by buying the player

Literally all Tottenham scouts do is "buy whoever Liverpool want" ffs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh if we're getting trumped by Spurs to sign a player, we have more issues.
Original post by sr90

Think it was something like:

We agreed a fee
He had a medical at Spurs
Signs for Chelsea.
I was very pro Salah but knew Mourinho would ruin him. I'm not sure how well he'd have done for us in hindsight, maybe he'd have adapted in the first 6 months and been decent this season, or maybe he'd have been ****e like everyone else. Markovic is a better prospect.

They weren't all in one window anyway...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr90

Apparently Rodgers was dead keen on him before Spurs pipped us to him, and then Chelsea swooped in.

I think the closest we came to signing any of those was Konoplyanka.
He was Rodgers' third choice, after Mkhi and Costa, so can't have been that into him.
He was Rodgers' third choice, after Mkhi and Costa, so can't have been that into him.

It's no good saying Costa as he was never a viable option? Like saying Di Maria was our 4th choice after Bale, Ronaldo and Messi. You wanted him but got beaten to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest