The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by driftawaay
Hey, I live in the Ziggurats and yes we definitely have the nicest views :smile:

To answer your question...

If you aren't bothered about having your own bathroom, don't choose the Village! It's a lot more expensive and not worth it.

I doubt the Village has a more 'community feel', I don't know if I am just lucky but my flat (13 of us) already felt like we've known each other for ever by the second week. Everyone is really lovely and social and it's really like a family.

Everyone is a fresher in my flat (and the majority of people in the Ziggurats will be freshers) but some of us are older, Im 20 and I have a flatmate who is 22 and I have two others who are only 17. Out of the 13 of us, five of us are from abroad and eight of us are from the UK. We're all doing a three year degree except for one American girl who's an exchange student from the US she's here for a year. I know other foreigners in other flats in the Ziggurats, it's probably like 30%, so that's a high number. I'm pretty sure there is AT LEAST 1 foreigner in every flat! Most people in the Ziggurats are UK students it's probably the most popular accomodation and really social. There are lots of house parties going on in one of the blocks, not mine, but the one next to us... they are insane! Kept me up all night the other day, lol. They are known as the party block. Ours seems to be quieter but it's probably because people in our flat go down to the LCR instead of drunkenly singing Wrecking Ball in the kitchen at 2 in the morning!

As for the drinking and going clubbing... my flatmates do go clubbing and do drink yes, however none of them are the loud obnoxious party animal types, I actually haven't seen anyone falling over themselves from our block, people just get tipsy...everyone's been pretty innocent so far! However, the block next to us.... :biggrin:D

I don't go clubbing and I don't drink and there are a few other people in my flat who don't do it either and we're still fine. There are socities you can join, meet people from your course etc you can do other stuff.

Yes we do have dinners together, everyone is in the kitchen in the evening so you just cook together and eat together every day, sometimes we order pizza etc, have movie nights, there is a game night in one of the blocks every Friday etc

Whether there is a community feel or whether there's a lot partying going on will depend on the people you get randomly assigned to a flat with, not the accommodation itself, it's really a lottery but I can't imagine why anyone would pay so much money just to have their own bathroom, I was really paranoid about sharing bathrooms but tbh even with 13 of us in the flat it's a non issue, you all have different timetables so you will never have to wait, there are two bathrooms and a third toilet, I've never had to wait and it's cleaned every week so it's not filthy or gross at all, it's really nice actually.

Tbh I can't imagine why anyone would live anywhere other than the Ziggurats, it's definitely the best value for money.

It's also the closest to the Lecture Theatres and the Library and The Street, where you have the banks, the shop, the lcr, the bar, etc

Hey there I have a few questions. Firstly at the Ziggurats, do showers have their own closed doors? or are all showers open. Im worried a bit if the university has all of its showers fully open and everything and if i would be able to bring a shower curtain. Secondly is it quiet and good to study at. Do your roommates typically keep quiet at evening/night time and are there many party type students at the ziggurats other than those you mentioned. Also how good is the library, i know this is a bit off topic but i was unsure if it was a quiet library or what not. Considering the ziggurats or the standard single campus at the moment. Thanks in advance.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by TheMagican
Hey there I have a few questions. Firstly at the Ziggurats, do showers have their own closed doors? or are all showers open. Im worried a bit if the university has all of its showers fully open and everything and if i would be able to bring a shower curtain. Secondly is it quiet and good to study at. Do your roommates typically keep quiet at evening/night time and are there many party type students at the ziggurats other than those you mentioned. Also how good is the library, i know this is a bit off topic but i was unsure if it was a quiet library or what not. Considering the ziggurats or the standard single campus at the moment. Thanks in advance.

You can close the door yes, at least one of the showers is in a 'bathroom' (just without the bath) with a toilet so kinda like a normal bathroom at home. The library is great- they have mix of places- the ground floor isn't quiet but there are several silent areas.
Original post by georgiaeloise93
Thanks so much for your reply!! Really good to know from someone who lives in the ziggurats - I couldn't find much in the thread about these things. The views definitely seem amazing. Do you guys hang outside on the broads much? Really love the idea of being in a house on campus with lots of different kinds of people.

Awesome that there are other international students and some other ages. I was hoping to travel abroad while there on weekends (for things like St Patrick's Day)/in the easter break/summer and figured international students would be more interested - do you think English students would generally want to as well? Also, do you happen to know what the twin room is like/whether it's worth saving the money, or better to get a single room? Now thinking I'll put Ziggurats first, then the twin ziggurat, then the village (the other accommodation options seem too expensive, not as nice, or too far from campus) :smile: Thanks again for your help!

Weekends unlikely, I think most home students would probally view that as not enough time and they would be unlikely to be able to afford a weekend break, going home for a weekend or two and going away in a holiday as many are on tight budgets. Holidays I'm sure they would though, most will go away with friends at some point in their uni time.
Original post by jelly1000
You can close the door yes, at least one of the showers is in a 'bathroom' (just without the bath) with a toilet so kinda like a normal bathroom at home. The library is great- they have mix of places- the ground floor isn't quiet but there are several silent areas.

Absolute life saver this helped me ALOT THANK YOU!
Not really accom related but; is there a microwave anywhere on campus that students can use? cos my lessons all finish at one and I like to hang around for a bit, do some work etc and I don't wanna waste money buying food on campus but I have like homemade soup and stuff I wanna bring but would need heating up xD
Absolute life saver this helped me ALOT THANK YOU!

In the standard single (Orwell and Wolfson) they have a room with shower cubicles, so move can see you but it is the same room. On case that factors in to your decision

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
In the standard single (Orwell and Wolfson) they have a room with shower cubicles, so move can see you but it is the same room. On case that factors in to your decision

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry but wait, im confused so they are enclosed showers or open?
Sorry but wait, im confused so they are enclosed showers or open?

Jelly's answer related to the ziggurats where they are in a whole room which you lock and have to yourself while showering.

I saw you'd said you were also considering the standard single accommodation, which are in cubicles with lockable doors like public toilets- no-one can see you showering but you are in the same room.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4508
Original post by gburchell20
Thanks for your reply, do you mind me asking where on campus you lived? :smile:

UEA village oak house :smile:.
Reply 4509
Original post by Tbx
UEA village oak house :smile:.

When did you live there? I had a friend on my course who lived there last year, weird.

Regards to OP, I also lived on the village and found it to be a pain sometimes, it's about a 10 minute walk to campus but it really becomes annoying in the winter when you have friends who can walk to lectures in 2 minutes. Also, the LCR is on campus and walking there during the winter months at night also sucks. Another negative about the village is that you are kind of isolated, if people have parties you have to walk all the way there, which makes it a pain. Finally, the university bus is a 10-15 minute walk away, so everytime you want to go into town, you have to walk onto campus and back off campus, which also sucks.
After seeing all of this I think I am going to put the Ziggurats 1st choice potentially with student village second :smile:
Reply 4511
After seeing all of this I think I am going to put the Ziggurats 1st choice potentially with student village second :smile:

The ziggurats are kind of ****ty. you share a kitchen with loads of people (12 usually), as well you don't get an en suite which is a pain in the arse. The best accommodation by far is the campus en suite, it's definitely worth it. If you come for an open day you'll see what I mean.
Reply 4512
Original post by Sloppy
When did you live there? I had a friend on my course who lived there last year, weird.

Regards to OP, I also lived on the village and found it to be a pain sometimes, it's about a 10 minute walk to campus but it really becomes annoying in the winter when you have friends who can walk to lectures in 2 minutes. Also, the LCR is on campus and walking there during the winter months at night also sucks. Another negative about the village is that you are kind of isolated, if people have parties you have to walk all the way there, which makes it a pain. Finally, the university bus is a 10-15 minute walk away, so everytime you want to go into town, you have to walk onto campus and back off campus, which also sucks.

I lived there 2 years ago :smile:.

Its a bit of a death trap when drunk, the stairs are crazy steep.
i'm on campus and socially it's so much better as the flat parties/predrinks are massive and better oh and it's closer to the shops, post office, laundry etc

also i think the ensuite on campus is better than the village
Original post by OnionRing
i'm on campus and socially it's so much better as the flat parties/predrinks are massive and better oh and it's closer to the shops, post office, laundry etc

also i think the ensuite on campus is better than the village

There's a launderette in the village too, plus the walk to fiveways Tesco/Co-Op can be done in under 10 mins (and it'll be cheaper!) or Aldi is 20mins away.
I lived in the Village two years ago and loved it! The slightly smaller flats mean you have so much more kitchen space, and we found that all the flats in our block knew each other and got to know each other, which doesn't really happen in the campus en-suite buildings. The walk to campus (15 mins) might feel long at times, but it includes walking past Earlham Park, and as the sun sets with rabbits scampering across the grass, it really is a lovely view... As a village student I went out and explored the park, which not a lot of the campus students bother with, and it is gorgeous. As well as being nearer to the Tesco and Co-op, it's also only 300m-ish away from the West Earlham shops, which includes a fish and chippy, pizza takeaway, local shop, local library, pharmacy and chinese (although this never seems to be open). The 21/22 bus route runs from very near the Village to town, so if you can't be bothered walking onto campus, you have your own bus route. Plus the Ziggurats are always very hot, whereas in the village you can properly adjust your radiator so that you can make your room freezing/toasty warm as you please. :smile:
You know what I loved the look of it but it is very far from the classes. I wouldn't want to be late and also I am not sure if it is safe.
Original post by Sloppy
The ziggurats are kind of ****ty. you share a kitchen with loads of people (12 usually), as well you don't get an en suite which is a pain in the arse. The best accommodation by far is the campus en suite, it's definitely worth it. If you come for an open day you'll see what I mean.

I went for an open day last year and I have another applicant day in January, so I will look around again then but I really like the location of the Ziggurats and I feel like the fact they are cheap means that i'll have more money to spend on everything else as the esuite campus are pretty much out of the question. Do you know anyone that had an awful time in them then?
Original post by Frostyjoe
You know what I loved the look of it but it is very far from the classes. I wouldn't want to be late and also I am not sure if it is safe.

If you go for campus ensuite you could be as far as Constable with all your lectures in LT1-4 or ARTS or be in Colman House and have lectures in EFRY/JSC both about a 10min walk, so in theory you could be late to things even when you live on campus... Plus from 2nd year upwards you're off campus anyway, where most students have a 20-30min walk in or get the bus. It's less than a 10 min walk onto campus if you walk at a decent pace, hardly a trek especially when you consider some unis have different campuses, or you could live in Mary Chapman Court in the city centre and have to commute in by bus.

Also Norwich is the safest city, there's CCTV all the way along the walk to the village and security are always whizzing around the village in their golf buggies regardless of the time.
I went for an open day last year and I have another applicant day in January, so I will look around again then but I really like the location of the Ziggurats and I feel like the fact they are cheap means that i'll have more money to spend on everything else as the esuite campus are pretty much out of the question. Do you know anyone that had an awful time in them then?

Go for Ziggurats as first choice, I don't know one person in them who's dissatisfied whereas I know of plenty of people (myself included) in the ensuite accommodation who wish we'd been allocated Ziggurats. Having your own bathroom is not worth the extra £1800 per year if you're on any sort of a budget, I can tell you now I'd much rather have the extra £30 per week in my back pocket. Also, the ziggurats are right by 90% of your lectures which is worth noting.

Latest

Trending

Trending