The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Chris Harris is too corner. The deal the broncos gave him was pretty damn good too. In my opinion very cost friendly.

Peterson is an odd one. Yes he follows the best receiver but he gets burned really badly quite often. I think he had one good performance which was against Dez if I remember correctly? Apart from that he's been roasted a few times.
Cundiff just been cut.

Does anyone know what would happen if he came 4th or higher in the Pro Bowl Voting?
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Cundiff just been cut.

Does anyone know what would happen if he came 4th or higher in the Pro Bowl Voting?

Pro Bowl Kickers should be Tucker, Gostkowski, Vinatieri....After that's it's all up in the air. Hauschka, Phil Dawson, Cody Parky would be worthy, Imho.
Original post by Malevolent
Chris Harris is too corner. The deal the broncos gave him was pretty damn good too. In my opinion very cost friendly.

Peterson is an odd one. Yes he follows the best receiver but he gets burned really badly quite often. I think he had one good performance which was against Dez if I remember correctly? Apart from that he's been roasted a few times.

I'm very, very pleased with the deal...it seems very team friendly, which is good. Roughly 8.5m per year is a steal...$24M guaranteed, so fairly incentive laced to get the full $42.5m over 5 years...I'm happy for him, because he was undrafted, so it's good to seem him be rewarded for his good play.
Mariota wins the Heisman... as if we didn't already know that. He's an easy to root for guy too, and he plays for Oregon, proud owner of some of best uniforms in NCAAF. I like him, I just hope he doesn't end up on the Texans or Titans, as long as that doesn't happen I'll continue to like him. He also looks exactly the same as my 1st round pick Vikings QB on Madden 13, and he ended up 96 rated and 2 time Superbowl winner by age 30.
Everyone's easy to root for when they play in the same league as Jameis Winston.
Original post by jammy4041
I agree that if you draft a QB in the first, that at some point, he's meant to play, but sitting him, allowing him to learn the playbook, allowing him to get a rapport in training with the wideouts etc, would have been a better course of action. It is dissappointing that the Browns never really got behind their QB, from the day Manziel got drafted. The Browns created a QB controversy, when there really wasn't one to be had. Even when they were winning, and doing well...it was put down to a fluke...and that it was only a matter of time before Johnny Manziel would be playing. Hoyer was always one bad game before the pressure to start Johnny Manziel started to build, and I really think he did not have a fair shake at things....

Fair or not doesn't matter in the NFL, he had a pretty good shake. He was replaced after four games of abject badness, which is pretty standard for anyone who isn't on a massive contract.

Matt Bowen wrote a pretty interesting article about why it's usually such a bad idea to sit quarterbacks and hope they develop, let alone develop a rapport with the starting receivers. Reason being, a backup QB only gets a couple of reps with the starters per session, and if you give him more then guess what, you just undermined the starter because every other starter in the league gets almost all the reps. Sadly I can't find the article, but it's kind of common knowledge that backups don't get starter reps. Your idea of having Manziel build a rapport with the receivers by running the scout team is a pipe dream. Doesn't happen.

Buffalo have one of the best front sevens in the league. Their secondary is underrated compared to their front seven. In any case, Buffalo have the ability to bring pressure. The Colts have a good secondary, even considering their leading pass rusher is out. Mike Adams is missed in Denver. Hard hitting, and the ability to get picks. Vontae Davis is only just getting the recognition he deserves as one of the best press-corners out there. Atlanta have a okay secondary, but one with the ability to soon be elite. They are a good free-safety away, I think. In anycase, since they have no pass rush at all, and one of the worst front sevens in the league, they don't get the credit they deserve. Desmond Trufant is going to be an absolute stud of a cornerback. William Moore is a big, hard hitting, 'enforcer', of a strong safety.
I mean.... sure? They played decent teams. They were awful. Hoyer was a significant part of that awfulness. Now he's being replaced. I don't get how this essay changes that.

My point was that the kicker was not a clutch kicker, and that a lot of the times, Hoyer had managed to get the Browns into FG range (Three points are better than zero, although seven is preferable to both), only to have Cundiff miss it, give the team a short field, and then have them march down the field.
None of this changes the fact that Hoyer was bad :confused:

Also if the other team is getting a short field after a missed kick, that means it was a relatively low percentage kick anyway. But no, Cundiff hasn't been good.

Hoyer had a rapport with the starting center, and that o-line hasn't been the same since. The Browns are struggling to run the ball with the same pop they did earlier. Buffalo has an excellent rush defense, but their is still no real excuse for 29 yards on 17 attempts, at 1.7 yards a tote. That doesn't help the pass game, when they are consistently faced with third and long all the time. The Browns have had injuries...mostly to the starters who Hoyer has a rapport with already. Jordan Cameron being shut down was a big loss in itself. Against the Colts, both West and Crowell were held to under 4 yards a pop.

This is all true. It also doesn't help when teams are stacking the box because the QB is not very good at throwing the ball down the field. That's why he's being replaced.

Manziel had a lot of help with an excellent o-line, and a big bodied wide-out in Mike Evans. If he has showed progression with his reads since that bama game last year, then the Browns have a chance. Reads are much harder to correct than ball security, yes...but if an NFL level QB still hasn't worked out that he needs to hold the ball properly...then well...there's probably not too much hope of him working in out anytime soon, to be honest. He's slightly undersized as a QB, but as a scrambling QB, I'd worry about his durability at the next level, as well. RG3 is bigger, and faster, had his knee blown out against the Seahawks and hasn't been the same since.

Yes I know Manziel has flaws. I've said about 3 times so far I didn't think he was a good first round pick.

If the Browns expect Manziel to be their saviour, he won't be...especially with the run game. If they think he will lead them to the playoffs, they are misguided. In any case, Manziel is getting too much media attention, when he has done jack to deserve it.

Who cares who the media are giving attention to? Just ignore it if you don't like it. I'd rather have Manziel get attention than the Eagles' "quarterback proof offense" because at least Manziel actually exists. The media is stupid, what else is new? Another thing that's stupid is expecting to have success with an incumbent starter who has had more consecutive bad performances than Geno Smith. PLEASE JUST THINK ABOUT THAT
(edited 9 years ago)
My non-TSR league playoff matchup opponent has left Jeremy Hill on the bench. For that, I am very thankful. Shunter I still hate you, Game times mean I'll be chasing your 18:00 gains down until Tuesday.

Oh and shout out to Johnny Football, the kid is not having a good time of it but the chances that Hoyer would be doing any better are slim.

The Jags O-Line still makes my eyes bleed. 7 sacks on the day?! That's just appalling.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
My non-TSR league playoff matchup opponent has left Jeremy Hill on the bench. For that, I am very thankful. Shunter I still hate you, Game times mean I'll be chasing your 18:00 gains down until Tuesday.

Need Rodgers to torch it in the second half. At the minute, you've got a good chance.

Also, Johnny Football looks lost out there. The Bengals can smell blood.
Bills win! No idea what on earth that rule was though.
The most obscure rule, but as a Seahawks fan, I won't complain. If we win out now we get the Number 1 seed, which after our season, will be a HELL of an achievement.
It's kind of a weird rule, I see why it applies to forward fumbles but I don't understand why it's there for backward fumbles. Kind of impressive that the officials know all this stuff automatically and also run the game with good mechanics.
Am I right in thinking it would have been a safety no matter the time, because Lacy recovered and then got downed in the end zone anyway?
The most obscure rule, but as a Seahawks fan, I won't complain. If we win out now we get the Number 1 seed, which after our season, will be a HELL of an achievement.

Take that back, if Dallas wins out or Detroit wins out by a ton of points then they could technically take it.
Ahhhhh horrible call by the refs against San Francisco. Sets up the TD for Richardson which as a Seattle fan should make me happy, but of course now everyone will say "well it was the refs that won it..." when the reality is that we were on top and likely would have won anyway...

But yeah, definitely changes the momentum a bit. Shame that such a good game will come down to something like that
Am I right in thinking it would have been a safety no matter the time, because Lacy recovered and then got downed in the end zone anyway?

Yep...pretty sure it would have been. I think the main point of contention is whether it was an incomplete pass or a fumble....Lacy recovered the fumble and he was tackled in the end zone, so it was a safety.

Ahhhhh horrible call by the refs against San Francisco. Sets up the TD for Richardson which as a Seattle fan should make me happy, but of course now everyone will say "well it was the refs that won it..." when the reality is that we were on top and likely would have won anyway...

But yeah, definitely changes the momentum a bit. Shame that such a good game will come down to something like that

To be honest, the 49ers killed themselves. When they go for it on fourth down, and fail, when they had good field position, they destroyed any hope of winning. They still had a chance of winning despite the TD.
How 'bout them Cowboys? Tony Romo was brilliant tonight. As was Dez Bryant.
Pats doing their job. Two tricky ones with the jets and bills. Jobs simple, win out and everyone's coming to Gillette.
Brees and 15 points vs stills. This is the kind of messed up scenario that somehow ends up with me losing.
My fantasy situation is TSR League: Need Graham to score less than 19 points than Forte (Outside, (potentially) in the pissing down rain, and on current form, I like my chances.) In the other league I've already won!!!!

Latest