The Student Room Group

Is it weird that my mum put my little brother back in nappies?

My little bro is 5 and is toilet trained except at night when he wears a nappy because he wets the bed. However he has been ill since yesterday with a tummy bug and is wearing nappies because he apparently can't get to the toilet in time. I said it was a bit weird at his age to have a nappy on in the day and he should try to get to the toilet and if he does have an accident it can just be cleaned up. This comment wasn't taken well and he is still wearing them. I should say that these are normally pampers nappies and not pull ups. If it was pull ups it would seem like he was wearing them for "just in case".

Scroll to see replies

Not really that bad because their is a reason for it. I'm not saying it is ideal but he is still young.
old people wear nappies.. I dont see the big deal, its for a reason.. Once hes better he wont need em.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He's ill. I can see where she's coming from on this.
I'm 21, I'd probably do it myself given the option (also, actually, changing yourself would be just as hard if not harder than getting up to go to the toilet, only really would help if you had a carer or something), call me lazy but if you're bed ridden or whatever it's really inconvenient to keep on getting up to go to the toilet :tongue:. Just because babies wear them doesn't mean it's babyish, this is what makes a lot of incontinent people feel ashamed and I think that's pretty bad.
Reply 5
I get all of your points about him being ill and that their is a reason for it. But it just seems like it is allowing him to be lazy. He is still ill but isn't bed ridden, its just bad diarrhoea that he doesn't have enough notice to get to the toilet on time. Instead of a nappy I think keeping a potty close by would be a better option, or wearing pull ups so at least he could go for a wee. I spent today looking after/watching him and their was no attempt by him to go for a wee, he just sat their and did it in his nappy. He also wouldn't say if he had an accident and was happy to sit around playing in a wet and full nappy. I don't mind changing him (I did this loads when he was a toddler) or him wearing them (he has them at night time anyway). I just think having him wear nappies for a number of days is a bit much. I don't know tho, I have stopped going on about it. Hopefully he will be back in pants soon.
A potty may still not be enough though.

Why does it matter? We're not talking about a parent keeping her healthy child 5 year old in a nappy constantly.
A little weird (especially for him) but she's probably just trying to save her furnishings :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by OU Student
A potty may still not be enough though.

Why does it matter? We're not talking about a parent keeping her healthy child 5 year old in a nappy constantly.

He could wear a pull up nappy and have a potty(I don't know how much you know about nappies, but a pull up is a nappy that the child can put on and pull down by himself), that way he can still try to go but if he doesn't make it he still has a pull up nappy on. She hasn't done this because it would mean buying pull ups. Instead she has just put him in his regular pampers baby dry nappies. They are fine for night time but during the day its a bit weird that he is wearing them because they are for babies. It matters because I seem to be looking after him and just don't agree. I know I said that I don't mind him wearing them but it is odd to see a 5 year old in a nappy. Also I seem to be the only one who changes him. I went to the library to study for not less than 2 hours and when I came back he had weed and pooed his nappy and no one had changed him. I know he is it is not as bad as the title suggests because he is ill but still in all honesty I just find it annoying.
If it was my child i would avoid reverting back to nappies. It gives mixed messages to the child. How will the child ever learn about getting to the toilet quickly or telling an adult they need to go to avoid accidents. I would also be conscious of the fact that at this age they should be potty trained and therefore wouldn't want to make the child different from their pears at school/nursery.

Pullups are made for this very reason, avoid accidents but allows independence and the control of being toilet trained.
He's not being lazy, he's 5! I see no issue with this at all. 5 year olds will still have occasional accidents even at the best of times, but with something like a diarrhoea bug, it's very reasonable that he's not going to get to the loo or potty in time. Yes nappies are mainly for babies, but there is no issue using them occasionally like this. I see it's frustrating for you if you're the only one who changes him - but I think that's still preferable to an extreme amount of very soiled laundry and soiled furnishings, no?
Original post by BellaPembers
If it was my child i would avoid reverting back to nappies. It gives mixed messages to the child. How will the child ever learn about getting to the toilet quickly or telling an adult they need to go to avoid accidents. I would also be conscious of the fact that at this age they should be potty trained and therefore wouldn't want to make the child different from their pears at school/nursery.

Pullups are made for this very reason, avoid accidents but allows independence and the control of being toilet trained.

eh? The child is poorly. It's not a permanent thing.
For severe diarrhoea I definitely see someone would do this. I've given my kids sanitary towels before to use when they have severe runs.

Without meaning to be crude, sometimes when you have the runs it feels like a fart, and it's only as it's happening that it becomes apparent that it wasn't a fart at all!

Accidents happen, and as long as it's only whilst he's poorly, then yeah I don't see a problem with it.
I don't see anything wrong with it, the child is quiet poorly so its not like its something that is permanent lol. I would suggest you ask your mum to get something called pullup nappies.
He is still a bit ill so still wearing them. I was hoping he would be done with them by now but came back from school to be greeted by him in just a top and nappy (with no trousers on). I'm not going to lie, I don't like seeing the nappy exposed like that. But at least others are changing him now (I think they got my hints).
How dignified would you feel if you pooped the bed because you couldn't get to the toilet on time? Children are more prone to having accidents because they cannot hold it in as long as we can. It is not lazy, it is more dignified for your brother until he feels better.
Original post by Butterfly92xo
How dignified would you feel if you pooped the bed because you couldn't get to the toilet on time? Children are more prone to having accidents because they cannot hold it in as long as we can. It is not lazy, it is more dignified for your brother until he feels better.

I get what you are saying. But I personally don't think that wearing a nappy is much better. How dignified would you feel if you pooed your pants and were then had to wear nappies?
Original post by Anonymous
My little bro is 5 and is toilet trained except at night when he wears a nappy because he wets the bed. However he has been ill since yesterday with a tummy bug and is wearing nappies because he apparently can't get to the toilet in time. I said it was a bit weird at his age to have a nappy on in the day and he should try to get to the toilet and if he does have an accident it can just be cleaned up. This comment wasn't taken well and he is still wearing them. I should say that these are normally pampers nappies and not pull ups. If it was pull ups it would seem like he was wearing them for "just in case".
please respect your mothers decision ,she raised you and I am perfectly sure she can raise your little brother
I'm not sure I get the problem. It's temporary and he's ill. It's not as if she's doing it because she can't be bothered to toilet train him properly.
Original post by Anonymous
I get what you are saying. But I personally don't think that wearing a nappy is much better. How dignified would you feel if you pooed your pants and were then had to wear nappies?

More dignified than crapping the bed.

Quick Reply

Latest