The Student Room Group

Driving test in two weeks

I've got my driving practical test on Monday 15th at 8:10am, is this a really really bad time to have it like I'm thinking it is? And does anyone have any tips? I've pretty much got the mechanical aspect of driving nailed but sometimes slip up on the observations and considerations for other drivers. I never know when to squeeze through a gap or wait for the cars coming the other way to pass me...

I'm doing it at Lichfield test centre if anyone knows it :smile:
just relax and drive like you would on a lesson. observe the speed limits but dont feel like you have to always do the maximum and don't worry, the examiners are a lot more lenient then they are made out to be!
Reply 2
Examiners love handbrake turns... also no observations during manoeuvres demonstrates the ability to drive like a pro!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moksud
Examiners love handbrake turns... also no observations during manoeuvres demonstrates the ability to drive like a pro!

Posted from TSR Mobile

They love when u drive on the wrong side of the road aswell! Gives them an energy boost and they pass u instantly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jf1994
I've got my driving practical test on Monday 15th at 8:10am, is this a really really bad time to have it like I'm thinking it is? And does anyone have any tips? I've pretty much got the mechanical aspect of driving nailed but sometimes slip up on the observations and considerations for other drivers. I never know when to squeeze through a gap or wait for the cars coming the other way to pass me...

I'm doing it at Lichfield test centre if anyone knows it :smile:

The time doesn't matter that much. Make sure you have very good sleep (I slept for 13 hours before the test, which I rarely do) and also eat a good meal before your test and you should be set to go.

Like my instructor said to me, just stick to what you were taught and do not change it and you will pass your test. I know it might seem like poor advice when you are nervous but I don't have much advice on how to deal with your nerves. Try to be confident in your driving and take your time (don't rush). If you are unsure what the examiner has said, ask for clarification (you won't get arrested for it lol).

Best of luck.
Reply 5
Hi I passed my test second time 2 days ago and I also had a similar problem with judging when it came to meeting traffic. In my experience the best thing to do, if you're really not sure is to pull in to the nearest passing place before you get too close cos if you meet in the middle and have to reverse it will be pretty bad I think! Get to know the roads around your test centre with your instructor so you know on which roads there is enough space or not.

Also the time isn't too bad it depends on your preference. If there are schools around then you'll probably be dealing more with that kind of rush and pedestrian crossings and what not rather than bigger roads and roundabouts because it will be rush hour.

Just be confident and try to make the drive as smooth as possible for the examiner to show them you're in control of the car and if you make a mistake show that you are aware of your mistake. Remember observations as I think that's the hardest thing to do during maneuvers.

That's all I can think of atm feel free to ask anymore questions. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Test is tomorrow! Had a lesson today during heavy traffic to get me used to what it'll be like tomorrow morning, and my instructor had to dual control me because I apparently had not judged a gap correctly on a roundabout. The issue I have is I cannot set off from a stand still quickly enough to take advantage of a small gap, any tips on how to do this without stalling? In terms of speed in releasing the clutch and accompanying revs?
Reply 7
Judging the gap is hard and it comes with experience. I would say if you're not sure, just wait but in a test that could count as undue hesitation :/. Setting of quickly - do you drive a diesel or petrol because diesel requires less gas than a petrol. If you're having trouble setting off quickly I'd say practise on a safe quiet road just pulling up and starting up again quickly its all about making sure you've got the biting point and a good amount of gas that's very vague but I think it depends on your car. Have you always had this problem? Because sometimes you have trouble things that you usually do well close to the test cos of nerves. Sorry I can't be much help. Good luck again let us know how it goes
Reply 8
Original post by R_94
Judging the gap is hard and it comes with experience. I would say if you're not sure, just wait but in a test that could count as undue hesitation :/. Setting of quickly - do you drive a diesel or petrol because diesel requires less gas than a petrol. If you're having trouble setting off quickly I'd say practise on a safe quiet road just pulling up and starting up again quickly its all about making sure you've got the biting point and a good amount of gas that's very vague but I think it depends on your car. Have you always had this problem? Because sometimes you have trouble things that you usually do well close to the test cos of nerves. Sorry I can't be much help. Good luck again let us know how it goes

I'll be taking the test in a diesel, but I can practice in my petrol car today, I'm just worried about getting used to my clutch and then stalling all day in my instructors car :tongue: Do you set the gas before you begin to bring up the clutch, then one you start moving take your foot off quicker?

Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 9
I had my test last monday - my best advice is to stay calm and confident. I had almost every major roundabout in my town on the day, if i didnt feel confident about the gap i didnt rush myself i just waited for one i was sure of. I didnt get any minors for hesitation either. Just remember examiners want to pass you, as long as you drive safely, calmly and confidently youll be fine.
Reply 10
Okay well keep in mind the difference between the two I learnt in a diesel and the car I use now is petrol and when I first took it out I just kept stalling because I didn't realise I needed a lot more gas. So you press the clutch down fully make sure you're in gear one to set off then set the gas in a diesel you don't need a lot but you should be used to how much you need in the car you'll be taking your test in then bring the clutch up to biting point and SLOWLY release the clutch as you get enough gas/speed to then go into second and then third etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jf1994
Test is tomorrow! Had a lesson today during heavy traffic to get me used to what it'll be like tomorrow morning, and my instructor had to dual control me because I apparently had not judged a gap correctly on a roundabout. The issue I have is I cannot set off from a stand still quickly enough to take advantage of a small gap, any tips on how to do this without stalling? In terms of speed in releasing the clutch and accompanying revs?

Good luck!! Hope you pass
In my tests if I'm never sure of a gap I won't go. My instructor told me to get into 2nd gear on approach to the roundabout then if you see a gap you can roll up the line then go and if there isn't you can get into 1st gear and wait
Reply 12
I passed! 5 minors, got a show me tell me questions wrong! 2 minors for inappropriate speed coming out of junctions, 1 minor for steering when I clipped the curb while pulling in to stop, and 1 minor for observation judging gaps. I was absolutely sure that I'd failed as soon as I clipped that curb (it was only 5 minutes into my lesson) so I guess I just thought '**** it I'm just gonna drive' and it was pretty fine after that :smile:
Reply 13
Congrats!!! Its so good you didn't lose hope after you thought you'd fail!!! Well done. Safe driving :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by jf1994
I passed! 5 minors, got a show me tell me questions wrong! 2 minors for inappropriate speed coming out of junctions, 1 minor for steering when I clipped the curb while pulling in to stop, and 1 minor for observation judging gaps. I was absolutely sure that I'd failed as soon as I clipped that curb (it was only 5 minutes into my lesson) so I guess I just thought '**** it I'm just gonna drive' and it was pretty fine after that :smile:

Congratulations! Well done :smile:
Original post by jf1994

Congrats :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending