The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lol mathstallis.weebly is my schools maths website, whats the chances
Is 69/75 on a C3 paper enough to score an 'A*' grade? Would 63/75 be an 'A' grade?
I only messed up on the part in Trig where they have like a real life scenario, It reminds me pretty much like C2 optimisation.

I only need a B overall but need the most ums marks in core modules to help in having a safety net, if I mess up in my mechanics 1 paper. How come some of the older Core 3 papers are straight forward not asking for much proofs but just rely on using methods. I'm grateful I'm sitting my C3 exam in June 2015 and not June 2013 :biggrin:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Is 69/75 on a C3 paper enough to score an 'A*' grade? Would 63/75 be an 'A' grade?
I only messed up on the part in Trig where they have like a real life scenario, It reminds me pretty much like C2 optimisation.

I only need a B overall but need the most ums marks in core modules to help in having a safety net, if I mess up in my mechanics 1 paper. How come some of the older Core 3 papers are straight forward not asking for much proofs but just rely on using methods. I'm grateful I'm sitting my C3 exam in June 2015 and not June 2013 :biggrin:

Pretty much everyone messed up tht paper, so don't worry. The grade boundaries went down a freat deal that year - 50 for an A, 57 for an A* and 64 for full UMS. You'd have been absolutely fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A few years back, Edexcel were told off for having predictable A2 papers. Since then, most A2 papers have some bits which have candidates coming out saying "I've never seen that asked before". That means that the examiner has done their job properly.
Original post by tiny hobbit
A few years back, Edexcel were told off for having predictable A2 papers. Since then, most A2 papers have some bits which have candidates coming out saying "I've never seen that asked before". That means that the examiner has done their job properly.

yh its much better like that. i still think the exams should be pushed more to challenge people and distinguish the talented mathematicians from the rest. although it is getting better!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 145
Really need to work on Trig, other than that I think I'm okay. Going to try to self teach myself vectors and integration over the Christmas holidays, so I have more time for C4 exam practice.
Original post by Krollo
Pretty much everyone messed up tht paper, so don't worry. The grade boundaries went down a freat deal that year - 50 for an A, 57 for an A* and 64 for full UMS. You'd have been absolutely fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

480/600 overall and 180/200 in C3/4 will get you an A* grade overall
Reply 147
Anyone know what trig identities are given to us in the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zuzu096

Posted from TSR Mobile

We are given 1) addition formulae. 2) factor formulae.

We are expected to derive the double/triple/half angle formulae's ourself.
Reply 149
Q) Are we given the harmonic identities in the formula sheet for C3 or are we expected to know them?

Harmonic identities ->
Acos(x)+/-Bsin(x) = RCos(x+/-alpha)
ASin(x)+/-Bcos(x) = Rsin(x+/-alpha)

I know they are similar and easy to remember after a couple past paper questions but just for the benefit of doubt. I know how to derive (R=Sq root A^2+B^2) + (Tan^-1(B/A) = alpha) and solve equations using them. Is that all that is expected at C3? I'm with Edexcel btw. :smile:

Original post by zuzu096

Posted from TSR Mobile

A link to the formula booklet is in the main post.
Reply 150
Original post by Kill3er
Really need to work on Trig, other than that I think I'm okay. Going to try to self teach myself vectors and integration over the Christmas holidays, so I have more time for C4 exam practice.

Yeah same, Trig is a real problem! :angry:

How much C4 have you done so far? Just finished C3, so im gonna go over everything and do the review exercises/practice paper in the book then start C4 in the holidays.
Reply 151
Original post by Fade
Yeah same, Trig is a real problem! :angry:

How much C4 have you done so far? Just finished C3, so im gonna go over everything and do the review exercises/practice paper in the book then start C4 in the holidays.

I haven't started on C4 yet. Going try and improve C3 understanding until the Christmas holidays, and then do a paper or two every day while learning C4 in the holidays.
Reply 152
Anyone know where to find the Solomon worksheets and papers in WORD document format? I would really appreciate it!
Original post by Kill3er
Anyone know where to find the Solomon worksheets and papers in WORD document format? I would really appreciate it!

If you look at the Solomon papers on the 'physics and maths tutor' website for C3 and C4 they provide plenty of space for your working out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 154
Original post by Kill3er

A link to the formula booklet is in the main post.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 155
Woohoo. It's the holidays. Hopefully will be coming out with A's for every past paper I do by January.
Original post by Kill3er
Woohoo. It's the holidays. Hopefully will be coming out with A's for every past paper I do by January.

Same. I'm aiming for A/A* in every C3 Past paper and should hopefully get at least an
A on my C3 mock after Christmas. I only need a B grade for Uni .*. less pressure.
A2 does get harder but if you see the end goal it isn't really much of a stretch. :smile:
So happy I'm not doing mocks after Christmas, did them before :P

71/75 in C3, it's actually not that difficult (especially trig) when you're in the exam and focused. I made a few careless mistakes (lost a mark on the iteration question, rounded 1.684 to 1.69 lol). Just do some past papers and you'll all be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylann
So happy I'm not doing mocks after Christmas, did them before :P

71/75 in C3, it's actually not that difficult (especially trig) when you're in the exam and focused. I made a few careless mistakes (lost a mark on the iteration question, rounded 1.684 to 1.69 lol). Just do some past papers and you'll all be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice congrats ! I have mocks after Christmas but prefer it that way as I have more time spread over to continue my work ethic in learning C4/M1 Maths and also practising C3 aswell. Yeah, C3 isn't too bad once you have fully understood trigonometry. :biggrin:

Careless mistakes happen either by rushing due to poor time management or panicking by acknowledging that one specific question can determine your university place. (Kinda sounded dramatic :tongue:)

Once your in your own zone in the exam scoring 80-90% isn't too bad as long as you put the time and effort in beforehand. :smile:
Is anybody else learning C4/M1 over this Christmas break? If so, which one are you learning out of C4/M1 during this Holiday? Are you still practising C3 or not as much?

Latest