The Student Room Group

REtakes help. what does it mean to cash in

Well i am retaking 1 AS and 4 A2 subject as a external candidate. I have to fill in a form that asks about cashing "if youwant to cash in your full A Level award, if yes give subject and code" What do put there?
Reply 1
Cashing in means certifying the modules, so that you have an overall qualification. It's like going from a pile of bricks to a wall. If you have enough modules to have a completed qualification you should tick the box - if you're only part way through your resits then leave it blank.

Each qualification has its own subject code. You can find these on the exam board website.
Reply 2
Original post by Deepti12
Well i am retaking 1 AS and 4 A2 subject as a external candidate. I have to fill in a form that asks about cashing "if youwant to cash in your full A Level award, if yes give subject and code" What do put there?

Cashing in is just a request to get an overall grade for the qualification. If you don't cash in then you will get marks for the oevrall units but no overall grade. Only cashed-in results are visible through UCAS. If you cash in now it is free, if you wait to see your results in August before deciding then universities won't be able to see if you have an improved grade and For some exam boards) there is a charge for cashing in.
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
Cashing in is just a request to get an overall grade for the qualification. If you don't cash in then you will get marks for the oevrall units but no overall grade. Only cashed-in results are visible through UCAS. If you cash in now it is free, if you wait to see your results in August before deciding then universities won't be able to see if you have an improved grade and For some exam boards) there is a charge for cashing in.

Thanks ! that makes it a lot clearer!!
Should I cash in just the ones that I have already taken? Or am I suppose to cash in the ones that I will be retaking as well?
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
Cashing in means certifying the modules, so that you have an overall qualification. It's like going from a pile of bricks to a wall. If you have enough modules to have a completed qualification you should tick the box - if you're only part way through your resits then leave it blank.

Each qualification has its own subject code. You can find these on the exam board website.

Thanks that makes it a bit clearer.
I am retaking chemistry and Bio. I am retaking the A2 units (2 exams)for biology and as for chemistry I am retaking one AS unit and the whole of the A2 unit. Should I cash in my AS biology and the one AS chemistry exam that I did?
Reply 5
Thanks ! that makes it a lot clearer!!
Should I cash in just the ones that I have already taken? Or am I suppose to cash in the ones that I will be retaking as well?

You can only cash in a whole qualification (e.g. an AS or an A level) and you can only cash in if something has changed in that qualification since you last cashed-in. Therefore, cash-in:

any AS (which is not part of an A level) where you are re-taking

any A level where you are re-taking a unit

Consider cashing-in any AS which is part of an A level you have taken.

Reply 6
Original post by Compost
You can only cash in a whole qualification (e.g. an AS or an A level) and you can only cash in if something has changed in that qualification since you last cashed-in. Therefore, cash-in:

any AS (which is not part of an A level) where you are re-taking

any A level where you are re-taking a unit

Consider cashing-in any AS which is part of an A level you have taken.

I am retaking chemistry and Bio. I am retaking the A2 units (2 exams)for biology and as for chemistry I am retaking one AS unit and the whole of the A2 unit. Should I cash in my AS biology and the one AS chemistry exam that I did and am not retaking or should I just cash everything including the ones I am retaking?

Sorry about bothering you too much, it's because I have never had to cash in any subject before..I only heard about the whole cashing in thing yesterday..
Reply 7
I am retaking chemistry and Bio. I am retaking the A2 units (2 exams)for biology and as for chemistry I am retaking one AS unit and the whole of the A2 unit. Should I cash in my AS biology and the one AS chemistry exam that I did and am not retaking or should I just cash everything including the ones I am retaking?

Sorry about bothering you too much, it's because I have never had to cash in any subject before..I only heard about the whole cashing in thing yesterday..

I don't really understand what you are asking ('what does 'the whole of the a2 unit' mean? There are 3 A2 units.) and I don't think you understood my post. If you are trying to improve your A level grades then cash-in A level Biology and A level Chemsitry.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
I don't really understand what you are asking ('what does 'the whole of the a2 unit' mean? There are 3 A2 units.) and I don't think you understood my post. If you are trying to improve your A level grades then cash-in A level Biology and A level Chemsitry.

oh yeah sorry I forgot about the practical unit.
yeah I am trying to improve my grades. What I am really confused about is what do I put on the form for the retakes. The form asks "If you wish to cash in your full Advanced Level award, give subjects and codes" . So do I put the codes of every units I have done including the ones I will be retaking or do i just put the codes of every unit excluding the ones I will be retaking?
Reply 9
yeah I am trying to improve my grades. What I am really confused about is what do I put on the form for the retakes. The form asks "If you wish to cash in your full Advanced Level award, give subjects and codes" . So do I put the codes of every units I have done including the ones I will be retaking or do i just put the codes of every unit excluding the ones I will be retaking?

No, you put the name of the A Level subject, and the code for that A Level subject - which you can find on the exam board website, as I explained above.

Look at your results slip from last year and you will find the codes you need, e.g. if it says A level Biology 9BI01, then that's the code you need.

Quick Reply

Latest