The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by Butterfly9595
Woo Strathy applicant! I'm from Hertfordshire so I'm pretty far from home too, but there are a couple of others from down South :smile:
What I would say is that it is a big city, so getting home isn't too difficult as there are a lot of ways to get in and out. Strathclyde is located pretty central too, which is very convenient for going places - Buchanan Street (main shopping street) is approx ten minutes away. Have you ever been to Glasgow before?
Not quite sure what you want to know - do you have any specific questions about the course/living at uni, or do you just want to know general stuff? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been to Glasgow once a few months ago and absolutely loved it but haven't had a chance to actually visit the uni yet. I guess just generally, how are you finding student life there? I've heard there's so much to do and it's a fun place to be :smile: I'll be 21, nearly 22, when I start which I know isn't too old! But was wondering if you've come across a mixture of ages in halls?
Also wondering what sort of placement you have first year? And are we still eligible to have our tuition fees paid by the nhs at a Scottish university? I've really struggled finding much information about that!
Original post by Pinkpout
Hey all!

It is nice to see a 2015 page!

I'm a first year at DMU. If you have any questions, I am happy to help.

Good luck with your applications.

:biggrin:

Hi! I am applying to DMU but I am pretty sure when I went to the Open Day they mentioned that applicants require two references. My question is where do you send the second reference? I have had no answers from the department and have been trying to contact them for a few weeks.

I am applying as a mature applicant as well as being an overseas student.
Original post by Clivia
8 out of 20? That's not bad! I'm curious, could you tell me what sort of experience the ones without previous undergrad degrees have?
And I agree with what you say about 'mature' students just having had more time to gain experience, and experience is invaluable for this profession. So is a certain degree of maturity, though, which everyone obviously reaches at a different age. I personally don't think I was 'mature' enough to be a health care professional at 22, but others might be ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha! I certainly wasn't mature enough at 22!! There are 22 year olds on the course now that are more 'mature' than me!! Off the top of my head, a few worked on play schemes with children with special needs, one in an old people's home, a few in nurseries, a few managed to shadow SLTs.

Let me know when you hear anything :smile:
Original post by nzm_93
I've been to Glasgow once a few months ago and absolutely loved it but haven't had a chance to actually visit the uni yet. I guess just generally, how are you finding student life there? I've heard there's so much to do and it's a fun place to be :smile: I'll be 21, nearly 22, when I start which I know isn't too old! But was wondering if you've come across a mixture of ages in halls?
Also wondering what sort of placement you have first year? And are we still eligible to have our tuition fees paid by the nhs at a Scottish university? I've really struggled finding much information about that!

Strathclyde is great, there's so much to do whether you love the city or like to get out into the countryside - everything is so accessible :smile: there's a number of societies too - maybe not as many as other unis but still plenty of choice - just sign up to everything on Freshers and then decide which ones you like :wink: and that'll definitely keep you busy!
Halls is a bit weird as a lot of people on the course actually live at home, and other people seemed to already have friends from school when they turned up, but you still get the opportunity to meet a few people. It's quite difficult to tell ages in halls as people don't tend to broadcast it - a lot of people are 17/18, but then everyone in my flat is 19 as they put all of us on Gap Years together which was quite nice :smile: I've definitely met a few in early twenties so I'm sure you'll be fine - everyone just assumes you're 18 anyway!
Placement in first year - we've just had a day observation in a primary school, a day in a nursery, and two afternoons in a care home, in which we observe and interacted with potential client groups. Proper placement starts after Easter and consists of 8 days over two weeks.
Man, funding is a nightmare to figure out - all three of us classified as rUK really struggled! The Scottish Health Directorate pays tuition fees for you for four years, then you are eligible for the reduced loan from Student Finance England. However, you can't get a bursary from the NHS at all, but you may get a grant from SAAS (Student Award Agency Scotland) depending on your household income. If you do decide to come to Strathclyde, send me a PM and I'll help you with which funding bodies to apply to :wink:
Hope that helped - any other qs, let me know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone been offered an interview from Sheffield?
Original post by katebeare94
Has anyone been offered an interview from Sheffield?

Yes a fair few of us have. I have mine in January but some people are having them today or next week I think
Mine is next Monday (22nd), do you know what the interview consists of?
Original post by katebeare94
Mine is next Monday (22nd), do you know what the interview consists of?

I'm not entirely sure but I think there's a presentation to do..
Reply 668
I was rejected by reading, which I'm pretty gutted about because it was my 1st choice:frown: but they offered me a place for language sciences and psychology, has this happened to anyone else?
Original post by kb11
I was rejected by reading, which I'm pretty gutted about because it was my 1st choice:frown: but they offered me a place for language sciences and psychology, has this happened to anyone else?

Sorry to hear that.
I was reading today and it said Reading expects mature applicants to have completed their degree or access course within the last two years. Is this generally the case for other unis too? Are there no exceptions? I finished three years ago and have no reason to do an access course or A level which I already have...
Original post by schmee2
Sorry to hear that.
I was reading today and it said Reading expects mature applicants to have completed their degree or access course within the last two years. Is this generally the case for other unis too? Are there no exceptions? I finished three years ago and have no reason to do an access course or A level which I already have...

I haven't ever come across this myself, as far as I was aware the applicant had to have been in education at some point in the last 5 years. But I assume every university and their requirements are different...
Original post by kb11

I haven't applied for Reading, but last year dmu offered me an alternative course. I think it's just that they think you may be more suited to a particular course. But they can be wrong. Good luck with the rest of your applications! :smile:
Reply 672
Original post by kb11

I have just had the same thing. Reading was my top choice, but i got offered the other course. i am predicted above the entry requirements, so it must have been my personal statement or questionnaire. The alternative course doesn't look too bad though.
Finally, 5 weeks after pressing send on my UCAS application my college have submitted it and I can now join the 'check track 10 times a day' club! Fingers crossed and hoping for some interviews!!
Reply 674
Original post by tcrj
I have just had the same thing. Reading was my top choice, but i got offered the other course. i am predicted above the entry requirements, so it must have been my personal statement or questionnaire. The alternative course doesn't look too bad though.

Yeah I looked at it this weekend and it does look pretty good, I'm just a bit apprehensive because from what I can tell it'll be their first year running it
Original post by kb11
Yeah I looked at it this weekend and it does look pretty good, I'm just a bit apprehensive because from what I can tell it'll be their first year running it

Think hey did same thing last year as did a lot of other unis (they do need to fill their places) - only problem is the alternative offers do not qualify you for SLT and are not NHS funded. Sheffield did it to me last year

Good luck with your other choices!
Original post by kb11

Ask if you can talk to a current student - I got offered something like that from Reading last year, so assuming it is running now :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 677
Original post by Butterfly9595
Ask if you can talk to a current student - I got offered something like that from Reading last year, so assuming it is running now :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is some really good advice, i think i will try that. I loved reading, but this gives me a chance to get in. It is annoying how it will be expensive and we won't qualify, but oh well.
Anyone heard from uea yet after the interviews?!
Reply 679
Original post by eskimok1
Anyone heard from uea yet after the interviews?!

I had the interview at the start of December and haven't heard anything. However, when I was there they did say we could hear as late as March! When did you have the interview?

Quick Reply