The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
No Ive never been to the Opera, or even the theatre for that matter. Really doesn't appeal to me at all and not sure it ever would. Obviously loads of people are genuinely into it and good luck to them, just never felt the need to try and get some status from that kind of quasi-intellectual stuff.

People do it in a patronising way as well. It's all about the ceremony and the exclusion for some people. Like when you go to a nice restaurant and the staff are basically told to be extremely submissive and sycophantic, I dont understand why some people feel the need to be in that environment.

I dont like posh people very much though tbh, only ever met a few that were alight. Most are *****.

Yeah I went to a few operas and theatres when I was younger. Tbh it's just a posh white thing it you don't typical ethnic east londoners going to the opera at all.

I'd take going to a concert or a talent show any day than the theatre and opera.
Original post by JamesR12
Yeah. Doing your shift as a youth player at the big club, realising you're not good enough, getting moved on. Nothing wrong with being the Frazier Campbell of the job market.

Big 4 is a good life.

Yeah very very nice people at the Big4 too. Obviously very smart people as well but normal people as well.
Original post by Zürich
Definitely not true, not even close. Regular occurrence is for thousands of job cuts when certain areas go into decline. It's really ruthless like that.

And in certain areas of IB, what you do as a grad is definitely not rocket science. Certain jobs paying £70k/year involve nothing more complicated than basic excel manipulation, double checking figures and preparing presentations. Hours are long and the stress is unreal but why would they keep you on at 25/26 when they can get an eager 21 year old to do the same for less? There's a huge churn.

yeah I've always thought this was a problem of the education system.

bar vocations such as medicine or engineering, what's taught at university will have little applicability to the real life working world; where you will be taught to do your job regardless of whether you get a 62 in macroeconomics or a 77.
Original post by jam277
Yeah I went to a few operas and theatres when I was younger. Tbh it's just a posh white thing it you don't typical ethnic east londoners going to the opera at all.

I'd take going to a concert or a talent show any day than the theatre and opera.

Friday night at Fabric and Saturday at the Arsenal every time mate! :biggrin:

I like going to museums tbf, especially involving history. That's genuinely interesting and accessible imo.
Nothing wrong with being the Frazier Campbell of the job market.

Biggest ****ing fraud player ever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zürich
Friday night at Fabric

See you there x

but rt Fabric is tha 1

god club
Original post by Zürich
x

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/joris-luyendijk-banking-blog/2012/jul/13/former-investment-banker
Read another thing on the guardian about this but forget this lifestyle tbh sounds like stress. Complete disregard of human values in IB, no wonder these bankers messed up the country so badly.
Original post by swirly
yeah I've always thought this was a problem of the education system.

bar vocations such as medicine or engineering, what's taught at university will have little applicability to the real life working world; where you will be taught to do your job regardless of whether you get a 62 in macroeconomics or a 77.

Well it's all one big hurdle they want to see you can jump end of the day. I studied alot of macroeconomics that was complete bull**** tbh and that Ill never see again. Nothing more than intellectual masturbation. I changed to Maths &Econ in 2nd year so that at least Id know how to integrate a few things that might be useful down the line :laugh:

The education system is fundamentally flawed though in that respect. Much prefer the German system where you can do apprenticeships and pick it up on the job at 18. There are thousands of people working in great jobs at BMW, Allianz etc who did that, it works for everybody.
Original post by Zürich
Friday night at Fabric and Saturday at the Arsenal every time mate! :biggrin:

I like going to museums tbf, especially involving history. That's genuinely interesting and accessible imo.

LOOOOL I've possibly seen you.

Followed by Tinseltown, yeah?
Original post by jam277
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/joris-luyendijk-banking-blog/2012/jul/13/former-investment-banker
Read another thing on the guardian about this but forget this lifestyle tbh sounds like stress. Complete disregard of human values in IB, no wonder these bankers messed up the country so badly.

There was a lot of truth in that series. You do get an awful lot of psychopaths in IB, the attraction is obvious for them, and 100% people will walk all over you given the chance. I suspect rates of depression are higher in that profession than among builders tbh.

Some 25 year old threw himself off a restaurant roof in Bank in 2010 because he thought he was getting the sack. What was going on in his head?
Original post by swirly
LOOOOL I've possibly seen you.

Not a big eater at that time but I'll chill for a bit.

There is a pub called 'the Hope' in Farringdon, otherwise known as the ''No Hope'', that opens for the market traders at 6am, not going to pretend I havent ended up in there off my tits on a few occasions :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by swirly

Every ****ing Friday night
Original post by Eboracum
I'm not the right guy for this. Look, if I met a posh girl in the choir of King's College, Cambridge, I could probably sustain about 2-5 minutes talking about it pretending I knew my ****, but after that I'd be out of ideas and moving the conversation swiftly along. Perhaps Zurich is more of an expert than I? :colondollar:

In my experience, posh girls are intrigued by working class boys, so long as you dont come across as a chav or start chatting to her about the accumulators you have on. I nicked a bottle of wine from a Uni do a few years back and I swear this posh girl I drank it with after thought we were Bonnie and Clyde. :laugh:

What you want to do is dress in a Bohemian fashion and create a powerful persona of the boy about town.

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Not a big eater at that time but I'll chill for a bit.

There is a pub called 'the Hope' in Farringdon, otherwise known as the ''No Hope'', that opens for the market traders at 6am, not going to pretend I havent ended up in there off my tits on a few occasions :colondollar:

Every ****ing Friday night

any Cargo fans?

Would assume Zurich loves that Shoreditch hipster vibe.
Original post by swirly
any Cargo fans?

Who are cargo?

I like Chris Brown.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zürich
There was a lot of truth in that series. You do get an awful lot of psychopaths in IB, the attraction is obvious for them, and 100% people will walk all over you given the chance. I suspect rates of depression are higher in that profession than among builders tbh.

Some 25 year old threw himself off a restaurant roof in Bank in 2010 because he thought he was getting the sack. What was going on in his head?

That's absolutely ****ed up man. I think they can develop the psychopathy too there. That ruthlessness and remorseless behaviour encountered by the higher ups can transfer to the lower people.

No idea how losing a job can cause you to do suicide.
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Who are cargo?

I like Chris Brown.

Posted from TSR Mobile

club in london.

yeah bare deep on how KwikEMart cheated on him with Drake of all people.
Original post by swirly
any Cargo fans?

Yeah very much like it round there, although the place isnt terribly hip any more. Moved onto to Dalston, Hackney, Bethnal Green ends now. Cargo is decent but never really got into the habit of going, one of those ones.

Some nice bars around still, often spend the evening dossing about Hoxton Sq

Favourite bar atm is the Dalston Jazz bar, that place is madness. Definitely get the link up there if you play your cards right
(edited 9 years ago)
When everyone asks what I do and I tell them, first response is "that has the highest suicide rate of any job in the UK" :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by swirly

yeah bare deep on how KwikEMart cheated on him with Drake of all people.

She a hoe. He can do better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest