The Student Room Group

Would you report this murderer to the police?

Say in this given scenario:

Person X has been raped/sexually assaulted by person Y and you know this is a fact. However, there is not enough evidence to convict person Y and they have got away with it.

Person X then decides to take the law into their own hands and goes out and murderers person Y. You are the only person that knows this has happened and it is up to you whether to report it to the police or not.

If you report it= Person X will be jailed for life.
If you don't= Nobody will ever know about it and person X will get away with it.

What would you do?

Scroll to see replies

Murder is still murder. We should never take the law into our own hands.
Reply 2
Wouldn't report it.
Reply 3
Original post by DiddyDec
Murder is still murder. We should never take the law into our own hands.

So would you report it?
Original post by faith9320
So would you report it?

Yes. Of course I would.
Reply 5
Original post by HAnwar
Wouldn't report it.

Why?
Reply 6
Yes. Of course I would.

Interesting.

Let's go a step further, what if person X was your friend or a member of your family?
Reply 7
This is difficult to answer because I'm not in the actual situation. I guess it depends on the person who was raped/sexually assaulted. If it was someone close to me then I wouldn't report it, but if the person was more like a stranger than I would defiantly report it.
Interesting.

Let's go a step further, what if person X was your friend or a member of your family?

Then probably not. As much as I would want to stay rational and make a rational decision. I would not be able to. My emotions would override my morals.
Reply 9
Why?

Just. What's the police going to do about person Y anyways? Nothing.
Reply 10
Then probably not. As much as I would want to stay rational and make a rational decision. I would not be able to. My emotions would override my morals.

How is reporting the crime the rational decision?
Reply 11
Original post by HAnwar
Just. What's the police going to do about person Y anyways? Nothing.

So you wouldn't blame person x for taking the law into their own hands?
Yes. Two wrongs don't make a right, and despite the circumstances I wouldn't be sure that Person X wasn't capable of murdering someone else if they're capable of murder here. How would you feel if they went on to re-offend, and you knew you could have prevented it?
How is reporting the crime the rational decision?

The rational decision is to take a dangerous criminal off the streets so that they cannot kill anyone else.

I think once you have killed one person you have crossed a line which you cannot go back on. A piece of that person is broken and I don't think it can be repaired. That individual has the capability to kill and could do it again.
Reply 14
So you wouldn't blame person x for taking the law into their own hands?

Nope
Reply 15
Original post by Green_Pink
Yes. Two wrongs don't make a right, and despite the circumstances I wouldn't be sure that Person X wasn't capable of murdering someone else if they're capable of murder here. How would you feel if they went on to re-offend, and you knew you could have prevented it?

But person X may of prevented Person Y destroying another person's life by raping someone else. How would person X feel if person Y re-offended.
Reply 16
Original post by Green_Pink

Same can be said about person Y going on to sexually assault someone else.
Reply 17
The rational decision is to take a dangerous criminal off the streets so that they cannot kill anyone else.

I think once you have killed one person you have crossed a line which you cannot go back on. A piece of that person is broken and I don't think it can be repaired. That individual has the capability to kill and could do it again.

How do you know they are dangerous to the normal man?

There is no evidence for that.
Reply 18
Say in this given scenario:

Person X has been raped/sexually assaulted by person Y and you know this is a fact. However, there is not enough evidence to convict person Y and they have got away with it.

Person X then decides to take the law into their own hands and goes out and murderers person Y. You are the only person that knows this has happened and it is up to you whether to report it to the police or not.

If you report it= Person X will be jailed for life.
If you don't= Nobody will ever know about it and person X will get away with it.

What would you do?

If I new Y had raped X as 100% truth and fact. like say if i had seen it with my own eyes. or something. no I would not report it to the police.
How do you know they are dangerous to the normal man?

There is no evidence for that.

You don't know if they are dangerous. But is it worth the risk?

Quick Reply

Latest