The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Current LSE student, ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Do retakes really count against you?:

In Year 10 (last year) I sat a Spanish AS. I achieved an A* for the Spanish GCSE in Year 9. Unfortunately I only achieved a B at AS :/ If I were to apply for the top unis to study an economics related degree at LSE, would they not consider me if I were to retake-bearing in mind I was in Year 10 and only had a 1 hour Spanish session every two weeks? Additionally I am not a native spanish speaker, I just lived in a spanish speaking country when I was 6-9. I did the spanish exam with edexcel, the sixth form center I plan to do it with do AQA, so would this even flag up as a resit?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 101
Hey,

I was studying EEE at Imperial last year (which was my first year at uni) and this year I am applying for bsc managemant at lse (for first year). Do I have to mention about Imperial in my Education section on UCAS?

Please let me know! :biggrin:
Original post by Aj_16
This is what you asked me - "Are you asian? Just like 99% of the students there?"

Original post by Aj_16
No I'm not. And 99% of the students at LSE are not Asian. There is a mix of students from a variety of countries. These including England, Scotland, France, Germany, China, India, Pakistan, Finland, Sweden and South Africa. Students are from everywhere - not just Asia.

99% =/= 100%
Reply 103
Original post by Kasi101
Hey I am from zambia in Africa and beginning a law foundationcourse at bellerbys this january.....and want to apply to lse for this 2015...... What are the odds of me getting in.....

hi, it depends on your stats (grades) and personal statement.
Reply 104
Original post by sparklespots
Hi, I am an international student. I have received conditional offers for History from LSE, Durham and St. Andrews. I am veering towards LSE and after completing history I plan to convert to Law. I have two separate queries. One do you endorse my decision? Two, what is the best catered accommodation that you would recommend? Appreciate your help..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm yes I endorse your decision for choosing LSE although all three are great. If this is endorsing your decision for choosing law afterwards, yes I do as long as you enjoy law.
The best catered accommodation is bankside, Roseberry and Passfield.
Reply 105
If a person declines an offer for whatever reason than if theoretically you were off their list, could your chances improve of receiving an offer?
Thanks
Reply 106
Original post by annasattlegger
thanks for making this thread. i'm an international student from vienna. got a conditional offer about 3 weeks ago for phil&econ. the ministry of education has set up a new centralised graduating system this year. teachers, students and parents are really worried about how the students will cope with it. it's not particularly common at my school to apply to foreign universities. my teachers didn't want to predict any grades, regarding the new system and the uncertainty arising with it. in the end i convinced them and now they have predicted me 1s ( A-equivalent ) in all subjects.
i'm taking
maths, german, english, french (written),
french, philosophy (oral)
i'm not too worried but languages and philosophy but it'll be super hard to get a 1 (=A) in maths. i'm not sure what it's like in britain but in austria hardly anybody gets 1s, mostly 3s (=Cs).
well, so my actual question is: how likely is it, should i not meet the conditional grades, that i get accepted? or, in other words, do you know anybody who was accepted despite not meeting his conditions?

Hey, to be honest I don't know anyone who hasn't met their offer as it is a requirement and they will not let you in otherwise as the demand for LSE courses is very high.
The best advice I can give you is just try your hardest to meet your offer and have confidence in yourself that you can. Im sorry about your situation!
Reply 107
Original post by nayilgervinho
How much do LSE help you with getting internships/work experience?

A lot. There are many talks you can attend for help. Also LSE have LSE careers which can also help you with internships/work experience.
Reply 108
Original post by sparklespots
What are the things to be considered while choosing an accommodation. My first take is to a good catered on campus accommodation nearest to the classes. Any advice?

Price, food, social scene, proximity to LSE.
Most LSE accommodation is very good.
Reply 109
Original post by djm1999
Do retakes really count against you?:

In Year 10 (last year) I sat a Spanish AS. I achieved an A* for the Spanish GCSE in Year 9. Unfortunately I only achieved a B at AS :/ If I were to apply for the top unis to study an economics related degree at LSE, would they not consider me if I were to retake-bearing in mind I was in Year 10 and only had a 1 hour Spanish session every two weeks? Additionally I am not a native spanish speaker, I just lived in a spanish speaking country when I was 6-9. I did the spanish exam with edexcel, the sixth form center I plan to do it with do AQA, so would this even flag up as a resit?

To be honest I'm not too sure. I think as long as your other stats are strong, the resit wont effect you too much.
Am I severely unlikely to get an offer?

My GCSE grades aren't great relative to applicants at LSE: A*AAAAAAABB
plus a few BTEC awards.

I got AABB at AS and I am predicted A*AA.

I like to think my personal statement is strong; shows off my passion well, mentions relevant work experiences in stockbroking and banking, talks about reading material and past work experience. Also I have captained football teams and performed in productions.

Could my PS and references balance out my 'poor' GCSE grades?
Reply 111
Original post by Rkai01
If a person declines an offer for whatever reason than if theoretically you were off their list, could your chances improve of receiving an offer?
Thanks

I don't think so because I think all unis give more offers than places to begin with as they know realistically not every applicant will chose them.
Reply 112
Original post by Holdaboss
Am I severely unlikely to get an offer?

My GCSE grades aren't great relative to applicants at LSE: A*AAAAAAABB
plus a few BTEC awards.

I got AABB at AS and I am predicted A*AA.

I like to think my personal statement is strong; shows off my passion well, mentions relevant work experiences in stockbroking and banking, talks about reading material and past work experience. Also I have captained football teams and performed in productions.

Could my PS and references balance out my 'poor' GCSE grades?

I'm honestly not the person to tell you - only the admissions office are so you'll have to be as patient as possible.
However in terms of my opinion I wouldn't say "severely unlikely" but I would say competition is fierce.
Original post by Aj_16
I'm honestly not the person to tell you - only the admissions office are so you'll have to be as patient as possible.
However in terms of my opinion I wouldn't say "severely unlikely" but I would say competition is fierce.

Thanks I understand you probably do not have specific knowledge on admissions, was just hoping you may know a student with slightly lower GCSEs! :P

If it's meant to be it's meant to be I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 114
Original post by Holdaboss
Thanks I understand you probably do not have specific knowledge on admissions, was just hoping you may know a student with slightly lower GCSEs! :P

If it's meant to be it's meant to be I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish you the best of luck!
Reply 115
Original post by Aj_16
I don't think so because I think all unis give more offers than places to begin with as they know realistically not every applicant will chose them.

Oh really, what are your thoughts around econometrics at Lse of last yr. there were 176 applicants… 1 person enrolled in the end :L
Reply 116
Original post by Rkai01
Oh really, what are your thoughts around econometrics at Lse of last yr. there were 176 applicants… 1 person enrolled in the end :L

I think its a very good course and its quite mathematical. Haha yes it's also very competitive!
Reply 117
Original post by Aj_16
I think its a very good course and its quite mathematical. Haha yes it's also very competitive!

But do you think that, lets just say there were 40-50 offers and around 20 declined the offer and the other 25 didn't meet the requirements?
Reply 118
Original post by Rkai01
But do you think that, lets just say there were 40-50 offers and around 20 declined the offer and the other 25 didn't meet the requirements?

Well then yes chances would increase.
Reply 119
Original post by Aj_16
Well then yes chances would increase.

would you say this happens often in all courses?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending