The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IceJJFish(II)
May as well dig yourself an early grave and stomp on your liver. Drink is for fools.

If it was being introduced now it would fail clinical trials miserably, yet educated people continue to drink it.

Inb4 it's my liver
Inb4 it has certain health benefits
Inb4 I drink in moderation
Inb4 comparisons to junk food

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course. One time I ate a snickers bar and had 2 spoons of sugar in my tea (on the same day)!!

What a time to be alive :cool:

This country's attitude to alcohol is problem though tbh. I reckon probably 30-40% of the lads I know/grew up with have some sort of drink problem.
Original post by Isometrix
Well there is also a recommended allowance for alcohol, go look it up. Unless you regularly exceed that allowance you'll be alright, likewise with your consumption of sugar.

I am fully aware, but sugar also has health benefits (which you know in far greater detail than myself so we won't go into that) and is an essential part of the diet, whereas alcohol isn't. Also alcohol can lead to alcoholism and rape/domestic violence etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9143
Really? Literally just bough a bottle from Sainsbury's last friday.

Post a picture, I haven't seen one in a shop for months.

I dont mean spiced gold, I mean the original.

My drinking at uni has decreased due to this :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wilfred Little
What a time to be alive :cool:

This country's attitude to alcohol is problem though tbh. I reckon probably 30-40% of the lads I know/grew up with have some sort of drink problem.

Agree. It's an unnecessary burden on the NHS as well. Also leads to problems I have stated above. I feel it should be prohibited.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Prohibit fat people first tbh and this is 2/10 trolling from Flaccid Kock Loving Willies
(edited 9 years ago)

ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9147
Agree. It's an unnecessary burden on the NHS as well. Also leads to problems I have stated above. I feel it should be prohibited.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kinda agree tbh. People who drink themselves dumb to waste scarce NHS resources isn't acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
Kinda agree tbh. People who drink themselves dumb to waste scarce NHS resources isn't acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They also reduce the quality of healthcare due to overrun doctors, as my man Iso can testify to probably ( :tongue: ) and extend waiting lists in A&E.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam277
Prohibit fat people first tbh and this is 2/10 trolling from Flaccid Kock Loving Willies

Explain to me how I'm trolling when I make statements backed up with scientific facts.

Agree with fat people but only those who don't actively seek to reduce their weight/ suffer from genetic disorders.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am fully aware, but sugar also has health benefits (which you know in far greater detail than myself so we won't go into that) and is an essential part of the diet, whereas alcohol isn't. Also alcohol can lead to alcoholism and rape/domestic violence etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm talking about refined added sugar though...not some complex carbohydrate that eventually metabolises to a key bodily fuel. It's not essential, why do we need to add sugar to things? Is that how people used to eat many many years ago?

Red wine in moderation has more health benefits than refined sugar.

Alcoholism can lead to rape/domestic violence if not consumed responsibily...in the same way sugar can lead to diabetes and obesity, and a whole range of health problems which if you knew cause more deaths in the world than alcohol related deaths.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I will always go for beer -- lager and then bitter/draught. Cider if it's summer.

I also like the amount you 'drink' with beer, you can drink loads and be reasonably sound. Plus the taste is better anyway.
Standard summer-winter set up. I think people who say they don't like beer just need to commit tbh. I know a number of people who just forced themselves for a holiday or something and it changed their mind. I think for many its an acquired taste. I do like how you can drink over a longer period though, cider in summer is a classic. If there is football like England or something on that evening, having drinks over 4-5 hours building up is so much nicer.

Went to Croatia a couple of years back, beer there was cheaper than water. You'd pay more for 250ml of bottled water with a meal than a 600ml odd of beer. Wasn't great quality but was local.
Junk food costs the NHS more than cigs/alcohol.
Reply 9153

I don't need facts, just back me up pls.

Fk is right, ban alcohol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm talking about refined added sugar though...not some complex carbohydrate that eventually metabolises to a key bodily fuel. It's not essential, why do we need to add sugar to things? Is that how people used to eat many many years ago?

Red wine in moderation has more health benefits than refined sugar.

Alcoholism can lead to rape/domestic violence if not consumed responsibily...in the same way sugar can lead to diabetes and obesity, and a whole range of health problems which if you knew cause more deaths in the world than alcohol related deaths.

Agree on the refined sugar points tbh. I don't eat chocolates or sweet things anyway really (very very rarely) so a ban wouldn't bother me too much.

Thing with alcohol is people get addicted, and then it's hard for them to drink in moderation. Also it doesn't do any good to the world, so may as well be prohibited.

Posted from TSR Mobile
x

Also those with diet related type 2 Diabetes should have to find treatment themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9156

And the other two are heavily taxed so the costs are covered anyway.
Reply 9157
6/10 from FK
Explain to me how I'm trolling when I make statements backed up with scientific facts.

Agree with fat people but only those who don't actively seek to reduce their weight/ suffer from genetic disorders.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you said that Alcohol should be prohibited was when I determined you were trolling.

Prohibition of drugs has not worked in anyway and we've seen how prohibiting Alcohol in a western country worked before in 1920s America. There's scientific facts that it lead to gangster rings, corruption(MPs will rely on gangsters to import alcohol e.g. so they get away with their criminal acts) and more stuff.

Anyway I've killed you anyway so no need to get into this more.
Original post by jam277
When you said that Alcohol should be prohibited was when I determined you were trolling.

Prohibition of drugs has not worked in anyway and we've seen how prohibiting Alcohol in a western country worked before in 1920s America. There's scientific facts that it lead to gangster rings, corruption(MPs will rely on gangsters to import alcohol e.g. so they get away with their criminal acts) and more stuff.

Anyway I've killed you anyway so no need to get into this more.

Times have changed. I say let the ****ers make illegal alcohol which isn't brewed properly anyway and then if they die it's on their own heads. They can pay for their own treatment and be consequential.

From that I assume you would be open to the legalisation of drugs? Interesting viewpoint. I would say, in accordance with Sharia Law, it should stay banned.

Tl;Dr drugs and alcohol are a disease to the world and to the system.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest