The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Agree on the refined sugar points tbh. I don't eat chocolates or sweet things anyway really (very very rarely) so a ban wouldn't bother me too much.

Thing with alcohol is people get addicted, and then it's hard for them to drink in moderation. Also it doesn't do any good to the world, so may as well be prohibited.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same could be said about religion, but you practice religion do you not?
Original post by Fideo
And the other two are heavily taxed so the costs are covered anyway.

I doubt that's where the tax money goes :lol:

And it wouldn't be enough anyway
Original post by jam277
When you said that Alcohol should be prohibited was when I determined you were trolling.

Prohibition of drugs has not worked in anyway and we've seen how prohibiting Alcohol in a western country worked before in 1920s America. There's scientific facts that it lead to gangster rings, corruption(MPs will rely on gangsters to import alcohol e.g. so they get away with their criminal acts) and more stuff.

Anyway I've killed you anyway so no need to get into this more.

Jam I have mad respect for you bro but I hate when you use the sameword twice in a sentence like anyway I've killed you anyway

or tbh xxx tbh :biggrin:
Original post by Isometrix

That's a very very very debatable point.

Also why have you assumed I do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fizzel
Standard summer-winter set up. I think people who say they don't like beer just need to commit tbh. I know a number of people who just forced themselves for a holiday or something and it changed their mind. I think for many its an acquired taste. I do like how you can drink over a longer period though, cider in summer is a classic. If there is football like England or something on that evening, having drinks over 4-5 hours building up is so much nicer.

Went to Croatia a couple of years back, beer there was cheaper than water. You'd pay more for 250ml of bottled water with a meal than a 600ml odd of beer. Wasn't great quality but was local.

You tried this stuff in winter?

Nice drop. 2.8% I think so no chance of getting pissed, but it's good.
That's a very very very debatable point.

Also why have you assumed I do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You said before you don't drink because you were strict muslim crew..

you also literally referenced the sharia law a few posts above :holmes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9166
I doubt that's where the tax money goes :lol:

And it wouldn't be enough anyway

lol what? How does it not go there

It's more than enough https://fullfact.org/factchecks/does_smoking_cost_as_much_as_it_makes_for_the_treasury-29288
Lol at times have changed what makes people think that gangsters can't make good alcohol now it's 2014 not 1924. **** it I know 15 year olds who've made decent alcohol before now what makes people think that a bunch of gangsters can't make decent alcohol off info from google.

The thing is that religion is very much detrimental to society. There was a time and a place for it and that was the 1800s.
Original post by jam277
Lol at times have changed what makes people think that gangsters can't make good alcohol now it's 2014 not 1924. **** it I know 15 year olds who've made decent alcohol before now what makes people think that a bunch of gangsters can't make decent alcohol off info from google.

Vast majority of people won't drink if it's banned. Only chavs and cretins will and I say **** em then. If it brews wrong and they die then fine. If it goes right then good luck to them but they shouldn't expect free NHS treatment.

So the treasury takes rakes in £12bn from tobacco sales, £14.6bn from alcohol.

It's not enough to cover obesity cost that is £47bn/year. The article you posted above says its enough to fund the cost of running the NHS. Currently they're only spending £6bn to treat obesity, which is what I meant when I said not all of that tax will obviously be going to treat it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Vast majority of people won't drink if it's banned. Only chavs and cretins will and I say **** em then. If it brews wrong and they die then fine. If it goes right then good luck to them but they shouldn't expect free NHS treatment.

What about treatment for bipolar disorder for religious people then even though it's no longer mandatory to believe in a religion?
Original post by jam277
What about treatment for psychopathy for religious people then even though it's no longer mandatory to believe in one?

I think that those with depression, or any other mental illness, should be treated on the NHS. You?
Reply 9172
So the treasury takes rakes in £12bn from tobacco sales, £14.6bn from alcohol.

It's not enough to cover obesity cost that is £47bn/year. The article you posted above says its enough to fund the cost of running the NHS. Currently they're only spending £6bn to treat obesity, which is what I meant when I said not all of that tax will obviously be going to treat it.

I was obviously talking about the tax on cigarettes and alcohol being enough to cover the costs of cigarettes and alcohol
Original post by Fideo
I was obviously talking about the tax on cigarettes and alcohol being enough to cover the costs of cigarettes and alcohol

Ok :s-smilie: that wasn't my original point but oh well
Reply 9174
Ok :s-smilie: that wasn't my original point but oh well

I was actually agreeing with you/adding to your point with my first comment, saying not only are the costs lower but they're covered by tax anyway.
Original post by Fideo
I was actually agreeing with you/adding to your point with my first comment, saying not only are the costs lower but they're covered by tax anyway.

I know what you mean now, it was just the way you wrote it
Reply 9176

Yeah it was ambiguous, my bad

Where did you do your elective btw?
Where did you do your elective btw?

6 weeks in Canada :yy:
6 weeks in Canada :yy:

Sick man, you hit up Toronto? Had a cousin who went Cali, said he had a few encounters on way back from night shift with some gangs :lol:

Thinking of volunteering abroad myself.

Latest