The Student Room Group

URGENT ACCOMMODATION ADVICE: St. Hilda's (Fulford House) vs Mansfield (Ablethorpe)

Hi folks,

I will be attending the Centre for Criminology as an Academic Visitor in January 2015. At present, I have a choice between the following two accommodation options for my seven week stay in Oxford while attending the Centre:-

1. Mansfield College:- A room in a graduate house in the Ablethorpe Building on 213 Cowley Road; or

2. St. Hilda's College:- A room in a student flat in Fulford House on Iffley Road.

The price for both accommodation options is the same.

As I have no knowledge of either of these two colleges, I would be extremely grateful to hear from anyone who could advice me as to the benefits or drawbacks of staying in either of the above accommodation options. I am looking to stay somewhere comfortable and central during my visit to Oxford.

Any advice at all which you might be able to provide to me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance and best wishes for the festive season.

Kind regards
Alan
The Iffley road accommodation is closer to the city centre than the Cowley road one by about 10 minutes walking.

Mansfield is also closer to the centre than St Hilda's although I don't know how much time you would spend in the college's themselves!
Reply 2
Original post by Lucilou101
The Iffley road accommodation is closer to the city centre than the Cowley road one by about 10 minutes walking.

Mansfield is also closer to the centre than St Hilda's although I don't know how much time you would spend in the college's themselves!

Thank you Lucilou for the advice! At this stage I'm looking at taking the Iffley Road accommodation on the basis that it is more central.

I am just wondering if you know (or, if anyone knows) if there is any difference in relation to the quality of the accommodation provided by the colleges? I have read some pretty negative reports about the accommodation provided by St. Hilda's at Fulford House but I can't find any information on the quality of accommodation provided by Mansfield College at Ablethorpe (231 Cowley Road). I would be very grateful if someone who could shed some light on what the rooms in these college halls are like?

Many thanks for all your help- I really appreciate it!

Best wishes
Alan
Reply 3
Sorry to be bumping this thread again but I was just wondering if anyone could give me a sense of the quality of the St. Hilda's rooms as against the quality of the Mansfield College rooms. I have to make my decision by tomorrow morning so any advice on which accommodation is of a better standard would be a huge help to me.

Many thanks
Alan
If you google Ablethorpe Building Oxford it comes up with various sources of information :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you Loucilou- all that information is really helpful! I was just curious to see if anyone here at first-hand experience of staying in either of the two Halls. I really appreciate all your help!:smile:
Reply 6
I'm a bit confused, where is the Ablethorpe Building. 213 Cowley, 231 Cowley or Dawson St... Fulford House isn't great. Best to avoid if possible.
Reply 7
Original post by boffdude
I'm a bit confused, where is the Ablethorpe Building. 213 Cowley, 231 Cowley or Dawson St... Fulford House isn't great. Best to avoid if possible.

Hi Boffdude,

Many thanks for the tip on Fulford House- you have confirmed my suspicions!

The only details which Mansfield College have given about the other property is that it is called "Ablethorpe Building" and it is situated, according to the Accommodation Office, at 231 Cowley Road, East Oxford. I'm not sure if that helps to clarify which property it is!? I would be grateful to hear from anyone who may have some knowledge of this building.

Thanks again to you all for your help!
A.
Reply 8
Original post by AlanUCC
Hi Boffdude,

Many thanks for the tip on Fulford House- you have confirmed my suspicions!

The only details which Mansfield College have given about the other property is that it is called "Ablethorpe Building" and it is situated, according to the Accommodation Office, at 231 Cowley Road, East Oxford. I'm not sure if that helps to clarify which property it is!? I would be grateful to hear from anyone who may have some knowledge of this building.

Thanks again to you all for your help!
A.

What is odd is that the first few google hits seem to imply that it is on Dawson St. If it is 231 Cowley then this looks like a pretty newly redone traditional property on streetview (2014), probably will be all right if the outside is anything to go on.
Original post by boffdude
What is odd is that the first few google hits seem to imply that it is on Dawson St. If it is 231 Cowley then this looks like a pretty newly redone traditional property on streetview (2014), probably will be all right if the outside is anything to go on.

From another check it seems you're right - Mansfield have accommodation at Ablethorpe Building, Dawson St and 231 Cowley. They are separate blocks :smile:
Reply 10
That's a great help- thanks Boffdude and LuciLou! I'm glad I wasn't the only struggling with the addresses...I never realised the colleges had so many properties throughout the city!

Many thanks again,
A.
Just to add to your confusion - Mansfield students refer to the Ablethorpe Buliding as 'Dale'. No idea why but it might aid your googling!

It's a relatively modern accommodation block that is shared between postgrads and third year students who couldn't get a room on the main college site.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Thanks Jantaculum for the tip- anything which makes the quest for accommodation knowledge a little easier is very welcome!: )

After much consideration I have now decided to go with the "Dale" accommodation offered by Mansfield College on Cowley Road- it is a little further from campus but the facilities look pretty good in the building.

Thank you to everyone for all your help and input- you made my decision a lot easier!

Merry Christmas!
A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending