The Student Room Group

Genuinely don't know what to do. May have screwed up my life

Hi,

I am basically a student undertaking a placement year.

I do not wish to name the company or the position of my role, however I have admittedly been struggling. At first sight, it was a dream job and whilst I still feel that I can benefit a lot from it - the reality is it has been a bit overwhelming and difficult.

Basically, I may be terminated from this job and since this sort of project is joint with other companies, these other 'stakeholders' have decided to come to my workplace as they too feel that I am slacking. I am really scared, and whilst I did admit to my employer at the interview that I had to learn all the skills to do the job, I feel that I am at fault here. They hired me, knowing that I would have to do a lot of learning.

I don't know what to do, because if I get fired, I don't think I can ever get a job again and plus I have wasted a year that I could have spent at university.
(edited 9 years ago)
What support have you had? A placement is about you learning skills but the company have their part to play in this.

Try not to panic. What could they do to help you feel in control?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
What support have you had? A placement is about you learning skills but the company have their part to play in this.

Try not to panic. What could they do to help you feel in control?

They have been teaching me a lot, but there is a limit to how much they can teach.

There isn't much they can do to keep me in control and to be honest, it has been negative so far. I may lose my job as other stakeholders may withdraw their funding and use their own staff to do my job.

Unfortunately, this dream job has been difficult for me as I have had to learn a lot and at the same time I have been taking a long time to complete tasks.
Can you talk to your link at university?

Try to think of one thing they could do to help you. You got the placement on merit so they should not be giving up on you so quickly.
Reply 4
Original post by employee101
Hi,

I am basically a student undertaking a placement year.

I do not wish to name the company or the position of my role, however I have admittedly been struggling. At first sight, it was a dream job and whilst I still feel that I can benefit a lot from it - the reality is it has been a bit overwhelming and difficult.

Basically, I may be terminated from this job and since this sort of project is joint with other companies, these other 'stakeholders' have decided to come to my workplace as they too feel that I am slacking. I am really scared, and whilst I did admit to my employer at the interview that I had to learn all the skills to do the job, I feel that I am at fault here. They hired me, knowing that I would have to do a lot of learning.

I don't know what to do, because if I get fired, I don't think I can ever get a job again and plus I have wasted a year that I could have spent at university.

This is happened to a few friends of mine but in different scenarios. Long story short it took one a year and the other a year and a half to find jobs in tesco and Next respectively, so yeh good luck...you will need it!
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Can you talk to your link at university?

Try to think of one thing they could do to help you. You got the placement on merit so they should not be giving up on you so quickly.

My university are aware of it all, however there isn't much that could be done.

I was sort of given a warning and some more training. It's a performance issue and a lot of people tell me that its hard to dismiss a new low paid employee such as myself but apparently thats not the case.

Since other stakeholders are part of the project my income also comes from them, so they can stop funding me.

This is a tough situation and given my young age I shouldn't be going through this all.

I feel I only have myself to blame
Reply 6
Original post by The Juan
This is happened to a few friends of mine but in different scenarios. Long story short it took one a year and the other a year and a half to find jobs in tesco and Next respectively, so yeh good luck...you will need it!

Thanks for the heads up...
Original post by employee101
My university are aware of it all, however there isn't much that could be done.

I was sort of given a warning and some more training. It's a performance issue and a lot of people tell me that its hard to dismiss a new low paid employee such as myself but apparently thats not the case.

Since other stakeholders are part of the project my income also comes from them, so they can stop funding me.

This is a tough situation and given my young age I shouldn't be going through this all.

I feel I only have myself to blame

Hi,

Sorry I know this is a while off but I came across your post and am intrigued to see how things turned out for you? Were you able to stay at the job? Hope things are better now
Original post by livinglife123
Hi,

Sorry I know this is a while off but I came across your post and am intrigued to see how things turned out for you? Were you able to stay at the job? Hope things are better now

Thread's a little on the older side.

Latest

Trending

Trending