The Student Room Group

Best universities to study law

I still haven't made up my mind when it comes to choices.
I dunno whether its better to go for "worse" universities which offer placement year(Aston, Nottingham Trent, Northumbria) or go for more respectable and prestigious ones (leeds, Lancaster, Leicester, Newcastle, York, UEA, Liverpool)
Please please help me
more prestigious ones
Reply 2
Original post by JNDSAN
more prestigious ones

I thought so.
Im thinking about:
1)Leicester Uni
2)Leeds
3)Newcastle
4)York
5)Exeter
6)Liverpool
7)Lancaster
8)UEA

Which ones would be best?
Newcastle, York, Liverpool, Exeter and Leeds are all good so go for them. Within that group, I think York is the stand out uni for academics although Liverpool and Leeds are solid names too.
Reply 4
Original post by JNDSAN
Newcastle, York, Liverpool, Exeter and Leeds are all good so go for them. Within that group, I think York is the stand out uni for academics although Liverpool and Leeds are solid names too.

I think I will apply to Leeds, Newcastle, York, but I will Liverpool with Leicester and maybe Exeter with UEA
Reply 5
NTU isn't a bad bet for insurance in case it all goes Pete Tong.
Reply 6
As far as I'm aware Leicester and UEA offer Law courses with a year abroad (guess that's what you mean by placement?) as I applied to them. Firmed Law with a Modern Language at Leicester, most likely gonna spend my year abroad in France - can't wait :biggrin:
No offence, those universities aren't prestigious.

You would have to be talking Oxford/LSE etc..
Original post by Anonynous
No offence, those universities aren't prestigious.

You would have to be talking Oxford/LSE etc..

For what? The cream of firms and chambers perhaps, but they don't comprise the entire legal profession by a very long way.
Reply 9
Certainly Russell Groups and Oxbridge as usual. Have a look where has the most legal connections - you can find out on open days and sometimes the faculty websites.

Bristol was the first city to have a local Law Society, which is still functioning today - maybe that would be a good Uni, too?
Original post by Birkenhead
For what? The cream of firms and chambers perhaps, but they don't comprise the entire legal profession by a very long way.

For prestige.
Original post by Anonynous
For prestige.

My guess is that the OP is basing their decision more on realistic career goals than childish notions of being better than other people purely for the sake of it.
Reply 12
Original post by 1501
As far as I'm aware Leicester and UEA offer Law courses with a year abroad (guess that's what you mean by placement?) as I applied to them. Firmed Law with a Modern Language at Leicester, most likely gonna spend my year abroad in France - can't wait :biggrin:

If I go to Leicester or UEA I won't go for a year abroad. And by placement year I obviously meant a sandwich course but these unis dont offer it
Reply 13
Original post by MardyBumm
If I go to Leicester or UEA I won't go for a year abroad. And by placement year I obviously meant a sandwich course but these unis dont offer it

Ah I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding then.
Original post by MardyBumm
I thought so.
Im thinking about:
1)Leicester Uni
2)Leeds
3)Newcastle
4)York
5)Exeter
6)Liverpool
7)Lancaster
8)UEA

Which ones would be best?

I would say that York and Exeter are best, followed by Liverpool Leeds Newcastle. All of them are good to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending