The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ratchit99
Full time and mps1 as nqts are usually put on

Any ideas about easy is to get a part time nqt post?
Original post by Juichiro
Any ideas about easy is to get a part time nqt post?

Sadly no, I'm afraid. I imagine they occur.
My sister in law passed her NQT part time over multiple terms but she was primary. So it's obviously possible, I assume it's just how amenable the school is to supporting the idea!
Gah I've had an awful day. Rant alert!

My uni tutor came to see me period 1. I got to school to find an email that said to send period 1 classes for an assembly. Really annoying as I'd spent like a week fine tuning this lesson plan, only to find half the lesson would be taken off me! So my tutor and a random teacher observed half an hour of my lesson, then we had the review afterwards. At our uni we are split in to either minimum, good or high levels of meeting the teaching standards. I got minimum for all which is fine, but there were two standards where this teacher started saying he wasn't sure if I was doing that and I just thought he was being awkward. My mentor is off ill and he is filling in for her. He's seen me teach twice, so how can he possibly comment on how I am meeting these standards?

Then we were talking about SEND pupils, and I admitted that I hadn't differentiated for any of the SEN pupils in my classes as they worked fine doing the normal work, and also I had never seen my mentor differentiate for these pupils. I got majorly told off for saying that last bit, but I genuinely wasn't criticising her teaching, but as a trainee I obviously take in what I observe, so if she didn't make any special provisions, I thought they must be doing fine then and I didn't change that.

It just really annoys me how we are jumping through hoops to meet these standards and I feel that most of the teachers I've observed don't actually meet a lot of these standards anyway, and then start telling me to do things I've never seen them doing.

Anyway following this my uni tutor decided the half hour lesson wasn't enough so she asked to observe my period 3 lesson. This was a lesson I hadn't planned on her seeing so I was bit nervous, but said she could. The class were a nightmare and didn't do much work. I tried my best to manage behaviour and I feel for the stage I'm at in my PGCE, I only did what I could do. The hour after this was basically my uni tutor telling me how crap that lesson was and giving me an hours worth of criticism, even though I personally feel I reacted how any trainee would have reacted at this stage.

The whole day for me today has been criticism after criticism and I feel I have received no praise whatsoever, even though I think certain aspects of my lessons went well and I feel all this negative feedback is undeserved. Also, as a person, I need praise to keep on going. When I hear this amount of negative feedback, I just want to drop out of the course as I just don't see the point. I just feel like I'm an awful teacher now with no prospects. I thought I was making good progress but that's gone out of the window :frown:

I know this is a big rant but it's just nice to get it off my chest.
Original post by Airfairy
Gah I've had an awful day. Rant alert!

My uni tutor came to see me period 1. I got to school to find an email that said to send period 1 classes for an assembly. Really annoying as I'd spent like a week fine tuning this lesson plan, only to find half the lesson would be taken off me! So my tutor and a random teacher observed half an hour of my lesson, then we had the review afterwards. At our uni we are split in to either minimum, good or high levels of meeting the teaching standards. I got minimum for all which is fine, but there were two standards where this teacher started saying he wasn't sure if I was doing that and I just thought he was being awkward. My mentor is off ill and he is filling in for her. He's seen me teach twice, so how can he possibly comment on how I am meeting these standards?

Then we were talking about SEND pupils, and I admitted that I hadn't differentiated for any of the SEN pupils in my classes as they worked fine doing the normal work, and also I had never seen my mentor differentiate for these pupils. I got majorly told off for saying that last bit, but I genuinely wasn't criticising her teaching, but as a trainee I obviously take in what I observe, so if she didn't make any special provisions, I thought they must be doing fine then and I didn't change that.

It just really annoys me how we are jumping through hoops to meet these standards and I feel that most of the teachers I've observed don't actually meet a lot of these standards anyway, and then start telling me to do things I've never seen them doing.

Anyway following this my uni tutor decided the half hour lesson wasn't enough so she asked to observe my period 3 lesson. This was a lesson I hadn't planned on her seeing so I was bit nervous, but said she could. The class were a nightmare and didn't do much work. I tried my best to manage behaviour and I feel for the stage I'm at in my PGCE, I only did what I could do. The hour after this was basically my uni tutor telling me how crap that lesson was and giving me an hours worth of criticism, even though I personally feel I reacted how any trainee would have reacted at this stage.

The whole day for me today has been criticism after criticism and I feel I have received no praise whatsoever, even though I think certain aspects of my lessons went well and I feel all this negative feedback is undeserved. Also, as a person, I need praise to keep on going. When I hear this amount of negative feedback, I just want to drop out of the course as I just don't see the point. I just feel like I'm an awful teacher now with no prospects. I thought I was making good progress but that's gone out of the window :frown:

I know this is a big rant but it's just nice to get it off my chest.

You're right that they should be praising the positives and noting these. Like you say, not having these recognised will only make you feel rubbish and not help you improve.

The thing about your mentor not planning separate activities for SEND pupils is also perfectly reasonable, as long as you phrased it in a positive way in the context of justifying your decision... Like you say, its not appropriate to outwardly criticise your mentors practise at this stage, unless it's an issue you feel needs reporting to someone, but it seems you were actually stating it as a positive thing as you used it as a good example, assuming it was positively spoken. For the record, SEND can encompass so much, it's not always necessary to do different things for everything. As long as you can justify that you had considered their needs. I guess they wanted you to write something down so they can tick a box.

Keep strong.. You've met what you need to even with all this! Two observations in a day is tough enough, without one being unplanned with a tough behaviour class!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had my uni OBS today, what a relief!
Got negatives and positives in my feedback. 3 and a half days until the holidays begin, cannot wait.
Just wondering, is anyone actually empathising with the "never felt so stressed or tired" aspect of this thread? If so, what's your background?
Original post by Bobble1987
Just wondering, is anyone actually empathising with the "never felt so stressed or tired" aspect of this thread? If so, what's your background?

Sort of. Teaching is the most exhausting thing I've done, but not really the most stressful. It's fun though.

I think our empathising will come more in the second placement. I'm mentally preparing myself for a tough time after Jan! But no, this placement has been more of an emotiobal challenge for me. So much self doubt and low confidence. I've been fine for time though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
I think our empathising will come more in the second placement. I'm mentally preparing myself for a tough time after Jan! But no, this placement has been more of an emotiobal challenge for me. So much self doubt and low confidence. I've been fine for time though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm feeling similar. Next term is going to be even worse and the real test :/
I agree, emotional roller coaster. I have had one particularly difficult week where some things that upset me for various reasons happened and I was over tired, to the point I didn't think it was worth it anymore. However, it has been so enjoyable and rewarding and exciting and challenging, too.

I know second placement is going to be harder, but I am soo looking forward to it! (after a nice christmas break of course!)

I am.

Very little school experience, traditional education route, 21 and I only graduated from uni in July.
Original post by Samus2
I am.

Very little school experience, traditional education route, 21 and I only graduated from uni in July.

Thanks for responding. Do you think it would have helped you to have a prior career?
Thanks for responding. Do you think it would have helped you to have a prior career?

I doubt it - I worked from when I turned 16 and worked full time for a little while - Market research/retail.

Truthfully, I don't think any job/career can fully prepare you for the realities of teaching.
I'm nearing my first placement, I will pass with a satisfactory (3) grade. Others on their placements do you have your own Sims or equivalent login? I never got given one, so access to student data/putting sanctions on/contacting parents etc I had to always ask other teachers to do things for me and I felt it inhibited my overall effectiveness. In addition, if the host teacher was late for me to do the register I had to wait for them to come and log onto the computer for me.

For my second placement I will insist on being given full access so that I can see all student data, see what actions other teachers have put in place for students, I can be more proactive then.
Original post by Itstough
I'm nearing my first placement, I will pass with a satisfactory (3) grade. Others on their placements do you have your own Sims or equivalent login? I never got given one, so access to student data/putting sanctions on/contacting parents etc I had to always ask other teachers to do things for me and I felt it inhibited my overall effectiveness. In addition, if the host teacher was late for me to do the register I had to wait for them to come and log onto the computer for me.

For my second placement I will insist on being given full access so that I can see all student data, see what actions other teachers have put in place for students, I can be more proactive then.

I didn't get my own login for SIMS on my first placement either, but one of the teachers gave me her username and password so I could log in and look at pupil data etc. without needing someone else to get it all for me.

On my second placement the school literally only used it for morning and afternoon registration, plus termly data entry (anything else - eg: logging behaviour) was done on paper still! To phone a parent, you had to go to the school office and they got out a book of contact details!
Original post by Itstough

Nah I didn't get one. Very annoying for the same reasons as you've said. I've started doing paper registers and updating/handing in at reception later. I don't know why we don't get one seeing as other teachers are perfectly willing to let you on theirs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So today is the first day ive not been able to teach due to sickness. Ive got this flu bug thing doing the rounds, dragged myself into school but then had to go dry wretch jnto the staff toilets at which point my mentor and i agreed i shouldnt have gone in this morning. Now lying in bed feeling really guilty for not being in!
About to have my last lesson with my year 7s. I started with them first, taught their entire module and they were absolutely amazing for my during my observations.

I have sweets to say goodbye and I suspect I'm going to be an absolute mess at the end of the lesson :frown:
Original post by ParadoxSocks
About to have my last lesson with my year 7s. I started with them first, taught their entire module and they were absolutely amazing for my during my observations.

I have sweets to say goodbye and I suspect I'm going to be an absolute mess at the end of the lesson :frown:

It's so emotional! Let us know how you got on.

I am officially on holiday- half way through :dance:
Original post by peony flowers
It's so emotional! Let us know how you got on.

I am officially on holiday- half way through :dance:

I was a nervous wreck. We used the superhero plenary and they loved it and then I handed them sweets as they left and had to fight back the tears.

I then sat in with another year 7 group that I've been second teachering and that was a bit emotional too.

And my year 11s this morning :')

Anyway, all our teaching is done. The school now shuts down for teaching and now we just have progress day tomorrow and then christmas activities on Friday morning. Friday was apparently optional for trainees but I'm not missing Christmas jumper day, singing and the school's panto!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending