The Student Room Group

Does lack of education and wealth make people more homophobic?

This is not a generlisation. Today I travelled through a part of the city that is "urban" and filled with people who are on JSA with little prospects beyond getting drunk every night and constantly buying scratch cards to feed their hope for a better tomorrow which most certainly will never come. I was called all sorts from "batty boy" to yet cruder homophobic slurs directed at my very person which I found offensive in the extreme since I am not openly gay. Your next question might be how do they know you're gay? I don't know. Perhaps it was my politeness to the bus driver or perhaps it was the way I was dressed or my mannerisms.

I'm really upset right now. I felt so terrible that I almost cried when I got home. Yet I've vowed to remain impassive.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
theyre not

if you travel there are tons of poor non homophobic people

its endemic to British waste culture

just like the awful mannerisms you describe
Haha, I live in an extremely wealthy tory town, and I'd say about 70% of the population are homophobic. It has nothing to do with wealth, but ignorance. The two are not synonymous.
Reply 3
Original post by amberskye
Haha, I live in an extremely wealthy tory town, and I'd say about 70% of the population are homophobic. It has nothing to do with wealth, but ignorance. The two are not synonymous.

id say its neither

values are emotive not knowledge related

thats why you can have a fascist intellectual
Reply 4
Original post by amberskye

Even if this was true which I very much doubt since I've never experienced homophobia directed at my person or anyone else at an adult level this is only true to an extent because wealthy and educated people are smart and would seldom share their views in the open like this. So while you may be right in that homophobia is equally prevalent in the circles which I deemed superior there's still a difference in how the views are expressed.

Original post by turing96
id say its neither

values are emotive not knowledge related

thats why you can have a fascist intellectual

Values are founded on knowledge. The more you know the more your morals and conscience change. I.e. If you were not aware of the fact that animals feel pain you may torture them for fun whereas someone more knowledgeable would have a moral objection to such savagery.
Reply 5
Original post by Theodan
Even if this was true which I very much doubt since I've never experienced homophobia directed at my person or anyone else at an adult level this is only true to an extent because wealthy and educated people are smart and would seldom share their views in the open like this. So while you may be right in that homophobia is equally prevalent in the circles which I deemed superior there's still a difference in how the views are expressed.

Values are founded on knowledge. The more you know the more your morals and conscience change. I.e. If you were not aware of the fact that animals feel pain you may torture them for fun whereas someone more knowledgeable would have a moral objection to such savagery.

no not at all

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is%E2%80%93ought_problem
Reply 6

I neither have the patience or the interest to inflict a headache on myself. I'll take your word for it :smile:
Are you actually gay?

What sort of clothes were you wearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Theodan

Ok, try living in my town as an openly LGBT person and see if you doubt the homophobia so much then. You're very ignorant if you think only the wealthy are 'smart', not to mention stuck up.
It's not due to poverty lol

People insult each other all the time I suggest you get over it. Not everyone is in favour of homosexuality too, doesn't mean they're ignorant. Everyone is entitled to their views.
Original post by Theodan
This is not a generlisation. Today I travelled through a part of the city that is "urban" and filled with people who are on JSA with little prospects beyond getting drunk every night and constantly buying scratch cards to feed their hope for a better tomorrow which most certainly will never come. I was called all sorts from "batty boy" to yet cruder homophobic slurs directed at my very person which I found offensive in the extreme since I am not openly gay. Your next question might be how do they know you're gay? I don't know. Perhaps it was my politeness to the bus driver or perhaps it was the way I was dressed or my mannerisms.

I'm really upset right now. I felt so terrible that I almost cried when I got home. Yet I've vowed to remain impassive.

This is just speculative, but perhaps it's because, in poorer areas, guys in particular feel they need to present themselves as being tough and manly in order to survive. Being gay might be seen as a weakness, as the whole camp stereotype is very effeminate.
Reply 11
Original post by UCAS problems :(
Are you actually gay?

What sort of clothes were you wearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have never been in a relationship of a sexual nature. I don't find men unappealing however the same could be said for women and I do find myself becoming aroused at a scantly-clad woman like any regular man.

I wore a leather jacket with a faux fur collar. Skinny jeans. Black Boots. A flannel shirt.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Am sorry about all that.i believe they in the wrong for judgeing you.its happen, dont try to take it to personal,they are the stupid ones.
no it not the poor.
yes it the uneducated ones.
they just don't understand homosexual, they refuse to understand it .
may i ask do you look or act like the steotype gay man ?
how old when felt for the same sex? have u try dating women?
Reply 13
wait a minute

why is ur gender female
Reply 14
Original post by McMurdo
This is just speculative, but perhaps it's because, in poorer areas, guys in particular feel they need to present themselves as being tough and manly in order to survive. Being gay might be seen as a weakness, as the whole camp stereotype is very effeminate.

True. Its cause they dont know some gay guys are aslo tough etc lol
Reply 15
Original post by raq123
Am sorry about all that.i believe they in the wrong for judgeing you.its happen, dont try to take it to personal,they are the stupid ones.
no it not the poor.
yes it the uneducated ones.
they just don't understand homosexual, they refuse to understand it .
may i ask do you look or act like the steotype gay man ?
how old when felt for the same sex? have u try dating women?

I'm not openly gay as I mentioned in my OP. Therefore I do not act gay and I don't even know what that is. Does anyone act? gay? Isn't that homophobic in itself?

I like men and I like women. I get aroused by both. Never been in a relationship with either.

Original post by McMurdo

This may be the truth of it. I felt quite intimidated and at risk yet I maintained a stoic demeanour to ward off that beta male target on my back.
Reply 16
Original post by bittr n swt
It's not due to poverty lol

People insult each other all the time I suggest you get over it. Not everyone is in favour of homosexuality too, doesn't mean they're ignorant. Everyone is entitled to their views.

Downplaying homophobia is not cool. You're normalising it by brushing it off like that. I did not claim that everyone should accept homosexuality however not accepting it and being homophobic are completely two different things.

You're entitled to your view as am I.
Original post by Theodan
I have never been in a relationship of a sexual nature. I don't find men unappealing however the same could be said for women and I do find myself becoming aroused at a scantly-clad woman like any regular man.

I wore a leather jacket with a faux fur collar. Skinny jeans. Black Boots. A flannel shirt.

In all seriousness, I want to ask you: why do you care so much? It's not because you have a gay demeanor about you, it's that you stick out. People, usually youths (I would like to know the age group of these name-callers, as it tends to end pretty early) will talk **** about any kind of deviance they can find in a stranger. Red hair is mocked in very much the same way, and a lot of them are hypersensitive QQers too. Don't be hypersensitive. Take a moment to understand that they are not targeting you in any rational or direct manner. They are bored and venting life's frustration on a passer-by.

Get over it mate. Life's a b*tch (and then you marry one).

EDIT: on the issue of normalising homophobia: I stick to the rule of simply not being grossly indecent in public. Keep it indoors and no one will care.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by turing96
wait a minute

why is ur gender female

My fault.
Reply 19
Original post by Theodan
My fault.

gotta say it did make u look a bit gay

giving off a bender vibe

Quick Reply