The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2780
Original post by Econ1906
Hi guys :smile:
Any advice for a first year Economics student to make the most of uni in terms of applying for Spring Week or just things to do to impress employers? Would be very grateful :smile:

We are all 1st years here. Spring weeks apps are coming to an end, I would suggest you get going/preparing for / with Summer weeks as most places will have already started interviewing, filling up their positions for the Spring by now. Think most of us have prepared for over half a year for this time!

I would say, start writing down how will you approach employers through your CL, pimping out your CV and networking, finding out which division is right for you and all before the summer.

Some places such as GS are still worth applying to though as they are not rolling. Good luck
anyone know if if get rejected from BMAL for spring will i still be able to apply for the summer insight? or is it one application per year? :redface:
Reply 2782
Original post by DavidMonk
anyone know if if get rejected from BMAL for spring will i still be able to apply for the summer insight? or is it one application per year? :redface:

of course you can its not like you will be black listed! if u got rejected now, it is because maybe there was something lacking, but from here to the time the SW rolling begins, u could have gained more knowledge. so i would say of course you can! & sorry to hear !!

PS, were u interviewed?
Telephone interview for Morgan Stanley, I have no idea what to expect, but I'm excited

Posted from TSR Mobile
any more news today from JP morgan for anyone? :colondollar: who else has applied IBD and Risks? :O
Original post by Calculon13
I agree with your point - I'm not too sure how they arrived at their conclusion. I think maybe some of their candidates who scored in the highest percentile performed badly. I just don't know who they would compare it with assuming they used a similar benchmark to the one you estimated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

GS don't use tests because they're more interested in you as a person, your personality etc. and believe that considering you've already been tested to death (remember those GCSE, A Level and Uni exams?) that they are good enough guidance of your abilities - they think meeting you and interviews are better indicators of fit/performance. They trust their own judgement more when hiring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by will2348
GS don't use tests because they're more interested in you as a person, your personality etc. and believe that considering you've already been tested to death (remember those GCSE, A Level and Uni exams?) that they are good enough guidance of your abilities - they think meeting you and interviews are better indicators of fit/performance. They trust their own judgement more when hiring.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course they're not wrong, the issue is, how do you then select who to interview from the thousands of applicants?
Original post by will2348

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was simply regurgitating what a HR rep said at a STEM students event last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2788
Original post by Noble.
Of course they're not wrong, the issue is, how do you then select who to interview from the thousands of applicants?

Maybe they interview quite a lot? Valid point though.
Original post by Noble.

Cv and 300 word cover letter? I've head they use a software that filters people out of they don't use certain words in their cover letter but can't attest to the veracity of that

I think they probably do interview quite a lot, especially at spring level; they take way more than other banks and they only have one 30 min interview.
Compared to DB who interview 50-60. GS probably interview 500-600, maybe more

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aenigma
Cv and 300 word cover letter? I think they probably do interview quite a lot, especially at spring level; they take way more than other banks and they only have one 30 min interview.
Compared to DB who interview 50-60. GS probably interview 500-600, maybe more

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the only way their method works is if they actually interview considerably more people. Do you know which 'words' apparently you need to have included in the cover letter to not get filtered?
Original post by Noble.
I think the only way their method works is if they actually interview considerably more people. Do you know which 'words' apparently you need to have included in the cover letter to not get filtered?

Nope, sorry
Does anybody have any info on which Banks offer Summer Insight Weeks? Aside from Bank of America? Thanks very much :-)
Original post by bpt1206
Does anybody have any info on which Banks offer Summer Insight Weeks? Aside from Bank of America? Thanks very much :-)

RBS, I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone been invited to schedule an AC for HSBC's First Year Summer Internship?
Original post by tcoburn
CS offer baby. is there anywhere we can find the dates for spring weeks of other banks? i have to choose which week over easter to do CS

I considered this for CS too, I picked 23rd of March so it wouldn't clash with DB, also for you I think consider that most banks will schedule their SWs in the week commencing 13th April e.g. GS, JP, Citi, UBS, BAML
Original post by blix2
We are all 1st years here. Spring weeks apps are coming to an end, I would suggest you get going/preparing for / with Summer weeks as most places will have already started interviewing, filling up their positions for the Spring by now. Think most of us have prepared for over half a year for this time!

I would say, start writing down how will you approach employers through your CL, pimping out your CV and networking, finding out which division is right for you and all before the summer.

Some places such as GS are still worth applying to though as they are not rolling. Good luck
Sorry, what do you mean by CL?
Original post by Econ1906
Sorry, what do you mean by CL?

Cover Letter
Original post by limpan142
Has anyone been invited to schedule an AC for HSBC's First Year Summer Internship?

Yep. I have done it. There were 5 of us. We all got rejected. They are running one today or tomorrow as well.
Original post by JackR7821
Yep. I have done it. There were 5 of us. We all got rejected. They are running one today or tomorrow as well.

What did you do during the AC?

Latest

Trending

Trending