The Student Room Group

I only deadlift 40 kg and my hands are slipping...

I did a practice deadlift yesterday. I tried deadlifting 40kg for as many sets as I can. I did about 5-6 sets of 12. But my hands slipped a lot and I dropped the barbell a few times.

In my proper deadlift routine, I do 40 -60 kg. 5 sets from 12-6 reps.

Any advice guys?

Scroll to see replies

Chalk and mixed grip.
You do not need to do that much deadlifting

That's your problem I'm afraid

Look up ICF 5x5 or Stronglifts 5x5

Do that instead :smile:
Reply 3
What Cucumber said but also the bar might have bad knurling
How much do you weigh?
Why are you doing so many sets/reps? Not necessary. Use chalk/mixed grip.
Original post by Angry cucumber
You do not need to do that much deadlifting

That's your problem I'm afraid

Look up ICF 5x5 or Stronglifts 5x5

Do that instead :smile:

This. Deadlifting is taxing on your CNS so there's no need to go overkill.
Reply 7
Original post by The_Last_Melon
How much do you weigh?

58 kg. I've got gym tomorrow. I shall now be doing 4 sets of 8 reps of 45-60kg. 8 reps because I want to get a bit of hypertrophy/muscle.
We'll see what happens, thanks for the advice guys.
Original post by Naveed-7
58 kg. I've got gym tomorrow. I shall now be doing 4 sets of 8 reps of 45-60kg. 8 reps because I want to get a bit of hypertrophy/muscle.

You don't need to do 8 reps to gain muscle, especially deadlifting.
Op if you're not going to follow a well known routine like Stronglifts try this for your back:

/ Working Sets

Deadlift: 3x3-5
Bent Over Row: 3x5
Lat Pulldown (alternate each workout between wide and close grips): 4x8-10
Pullups: 3x10-12 <- When this is easy with just bodyweight start adding weight

Good form whilst increasing the weight over time combined with rest and nutrition will build muscle. :yy:
Um if this guy (or girl?) is really deadlifting 40-60 kg I think it's gonna be like a million years before he can do one pullup.
You're not that skinny Indian bloke I met in Manchester Aquatics Centre last year are you?
Original post by SEHughes
You're not that skinny Indian bloke I met in Manchester Aquatics Centre last year are you?

Guys relax. I know I'm a bit weak, some people have illnesses and were not born with the best genes.

I might have to do 5x5 dead lifts or 5x6.
(edited 9 years ago)
Guys relax. I know I'm a bit weak, some people have illnesses and were not born with the best genes.

I might have to do 5x5 dead lifts or 5x6.

1X5 deadlifts.
What's your illness?
I struggle with dead lifts. I can bench more than I can dead lift. I feel like my wrist and grip is giving out. I've had wrist problems before and had physio.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Work on forearm grip bro just do a few sets after your workout, and you're doing a lot of volume for just deadlifts , suggest increasing the weight a little , like most people have said , you don't need to do much for deadlifts. Hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Jebedee
I struggle with dead lifts. I can bench more than I can dead lift. I feel like my wrist and grip is giving out. I've had wrist problems before and had physio.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was wrong with your wrists specifically?, asking because I have pain in my wrist and (surrounding area),when I do raises, struggle to lift anything with my my palm facing down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did a practice deadlift yesterday. I tried deadlifting 40kg for as many sets as I can. I did about 5-6 sets of 12. But my hands slipped a lot and I dropped the barbell a few times.

In my proper deadlift routine, I do 40 -60 kg. 5 sets from 12-6 reps.

Any advice guys?

Powder your hands and stop doing so many repetitions :tongue: dead lifting shouldn't be done in high volume like that. increase the weight and do fewer reps. go for 6 reps per set, and do 5-6 sets with as much weight as you can handle.
Original post by Omar.Q
What was wrong with your wrists specifically?, asking because I have pain in my wrist and (surrounding area),when I do raises, struggle to lift anything with my my palm facing down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well my right wrist i could barely rotate, so couldn't even do biceps at all because of the pain. I went to physio and had to stretch my right hand hard in a clockwise motion every day. The pain stopped and I can do biceps but I still get problems with deadlifts and shrugs.

Quick Reply

Latest