The Student Room Group

Are Google Books references frowned on at all?

I've been going through some stuff I'm I can see my reference list containing quite a lot of Google Books links, for example :

Mullins, C.S. (2012). Database Administration: The Complete Guide to DBA Practices
and Procedures. Pearson Education. isbn: 9780133012729. url: https://books.
google.co.uk/books?id=JWoKCHJheSUC.

I'm just wondering if anyone frowns on using Google books (if every reference was from Google Book) or whether it's cool?

It's still a book, and providing the integrity of the publisher is there or whatever I can't see the problem.

I could imagine there being a case for such a method not promoting deep reading of a subject, but not sure that this would come into it.

Just curious, cheers
Reply 1
Original post by ithinkso
I've been going through some stuff I'm I can see my reference list containing quite a lot of Google Books links, for example :

Mullins, C.S. (2012). Database Administration: The Complete Guide to DBA Practices
and Procedures. Pearson Education. isbn: 9780133012729. url: https://books.
google.co.uk/books?id=JWoKCHJheSUC.

I'm just wondering if anyone frowns on using Google books (if every reference was from Google Book) or whether it's cool?

It's still a book, and providing the integrity of the publisher is there or whatever I can't see the problem.

I could imagine there being a case for such a method not promoting deep reading of a subject, but not sure that this would come into it.

Just curious, cheers

I never personally used Google Books. Why not just reference the original book?
Reply 2
Original post by josh_v
I never personally used Google Books. Why not just reference the original book?

Because I don't have access to the book.

Or do you mean reference the original book without using the Google info?

22 @book{mullins2012database,
23 title={Database Administration: The Complete Guide to DBA Practices and Procedures},
24 author={Mullins, C.S.},
25 isbn={9780133012729},
26 url={https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=JWoKCHJheSUC},
27 year={2012},
28 publisher={Pearson Education}
29 }
~
~

I could just delete the URL part from them all so it was like

22 @book{mullins2012database,
23 title={Database Administration: The Complete Guide to DBA Practices and Procedures},
24 author={Mullins, C.S.},
25 isbn={9780133012729},
27 year={2012},
28 publisher={Pearson Education}
29 }
~
~

Not sure if that's what you mean though.
Reply 3
Both my undergrad and Masters uni allowed them, as long as they were scanned versions of published books. Also, no self-published books, as they won't have been through any editorial process and could potentially contain unsubstantiated information.

It would be worth double-checking direct with your uni, in case they have written instructions.

If you do use them, reference them as you would the paper version unless your uni's referencing guidelines state otherwise.
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
Both my undergrad and Masters uni allowed them, as long as they were scanned versions of published books. Also, no self-published books, as they won't have been through any editorial process and could potentially contain unsubstantiated information.

It would be worth double-checking direct with your uni, in case they have written instructions.
If you do use them, reference them as you would the paper version unless your uni's referencing guidelines state otherwise.

Cheers kilx, this question was more a curiosity as I'm not at Uni yet (starting in sept).

OK cool, seems like there's no obvious arguments against then.
Reply 5
I always use Google books. I just cite the book I got it from without saying I found it on Google. Everyone on my course does it too, if that helps.
I use google books all the time and I've never had a problem. Just reference as books not a website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ithinkso
Because I don't have access to the book.

Or do you mean reference the original book without using the Google info?

Not sure if that's what you mean though.

Just reference the original book. This was common practice amongst everyone I knew. If I used a journal article online, I would just reference the original journal and paper, not the website where I found it.
Reply 8
Original post by Gales
I always use Google books. I just cite the book I got it from without saying I found it on Google. Everyone on my course does it too, if that helps.

OK cool that's no problem - I'll just delete the URL part of the referencing then

Original post by linnyloo87
I use google books all the time and I've never had a problem. Just reference as books not a website.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers Linny, yeah I'm just going to delete the URL part of it and keep it as a normal book reference

Original post by josh_v
Just reference the original book. This was common practice amongst everyone I knew. If I used a journal article online, I would just reference the original journal and paper, not the website where I found it.

Cheers Josh, makes sense, I'm going to drop the URL part of the referencing and just use it like a regular book.

thanks all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending