The Student Room Group

emission spectra

Hi, i'm having a bit of trouble understand something

I understand that when electrons relax to the ground state the energy or photon emitted is the same as the energy gap.

This says ''to emit specific energies, electrons themselves can only have specific energies''

Surely it shouldn't matter what energy the electrons are at as it is about the energy difference not the absolute values? or do all electrons relax to the same energy?
Reply 1
Electrons can only be excited to specific energy levels in an atom, in hydrogen for example, n=1 -13.6eV and n=2 -3.4eV. So to be able to emit a photon of some energy, the electron must first occupy a higher energy level state, of which has a specific energy associated with it. This in turn will emit a photon of specific energy when it relaxes to a lower energy level (of specific energy). It can't hover in between, all the energies associated with the whole process are specific. The only dependence on energy of the photon lies within which specific energy level the electron occupies and which it relaxes to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jacksonmeg
Hi, i'm having a bit of trouble understand something

I understand that when electrons relax to the ground state the energy or photon emitted is the same as the energy gap.

This says ''to emit specific energies, electrons themselves can only have specific energies''

Surely it shouldn't matter what energy the electrons are at as it is about the energy difference not the absolute values? or do all electrons relax to the same energy?

Within a specific atom all of the energy levels are specific (fixed). Hence the difference in energy between any two levels is also fixed.

Electrons absorb energy to promote to excited states and relax again by emitting the same quantum of energy.

Check out this interactive Hydrogen emission spectrum
Reply 3
Original post by charco
Within a specific atom all of the energy levels are specific (fixed). Hence the difference in energy between any two levels is also fixed.

Electrons absorb energy to promote to excited states and relax again by emitting the same quantum of energy.

Check out this interactive Hydrogen emission spectrum

alright thanks I understand now

Quick Reply

Latest