The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jeevanr21
Of course Maggie! #solidarity

We're just too cool :wink:

Original post by Edminzodo
I agree! I'm scared already! And here it is!

1418821375443.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh it's so pretty!
Original post by Magnesium
We're just too cool :wink:

Ahh it's so pretty!

Dat Egyptology library tho. :sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fluteflute
I have to agree with colourtheory, the "Oxford looks lots at GCSE results" is a myth. There are a few cases where GCSEs are important, for very popular courses (particularly for Medicine). But Oriental Studies interviews 86% of candidates, in other words they interview practically everyone who makes a serious application. (I suspect many of the 14% they don't interview are people who have done badly on the aptitude test, for the courses that have an aptitude test, which Japanese currently doesn't.)

The key thing for you is to work out which universities have the courses best suited to you. The college thing is a bit sad, but it's not the end of the world - remember that 25% of Oxbridge students are at a college they didn't initially apply to (and near enough all love their college).

I have one A* and was at interview last week for Oriental Studies.
Original post by JamesJones777
I have one A* and was at interview last week for Oriental Studies.

How was it?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure if I should bother applying to Oxford... anyone want to help me decide? I really want to but I feel like my GCSEs aren't good enough, even if I smash my AS-Levels.
Original post by DelReyRevolution
I'm not sure if I should bother applying to Oxford... anyone want to help me decide? I really want to but I feel like my GCSEs aren't good enough, even if I smash my AS-Levels.

What did you get? How did you rank in your year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did you get? How did you rank in your year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't wanna be specific but I got all As and Bs with like one C but I had pneumonia during my GCSEs... My school was also completely RUBBISH. I now go to a better sixth form that has a good record with Oxbridge and Ivy League Universities.

Rank... in the top 20-10%.
I don't wanna be specific but I got all As and Bs with like one C but I had pneumonia during my GCSEs... My school was also completely RUBBISH. I now go to a better sixth form that has a good record with Oxbridge and Ivy League Universities.

Rank... in the top 20-10%.

What course would you apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What course would you apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I'd be interested in applying for History or Psychology... I'm not sure yet but probably History.
I think I'd be interested in applying for History or Psychology... I'm not sure yet but probably History.

I think if you did well for your school and this was mentioned, alongside your circumstances then you could be a competitive candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think if you did well for your school and this was mentioned, alongside your circumstances then you could be a competitive candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!!
GCSE GRADES: 10As 2Bs :/
A Levels: History, Maths, Further Maths, Physics.
Course: History and Politics, Maths or Physics :P
College: Oriel (Most successful BC at both Torpids and Summer Eights :wink: )
Shall I start making a list? Or edit the OP?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shall I start making a list? Or edit the OP?

Posted from TSR Mobile

List in the OP :biggrin:
Hi everybody! So being a potential international student, I don't have the same exact qualifications that you do, although I have a few GCSEs and such, so I'll do my best!

IGCSEs: 2A*s and an A (my school only offers 3, which is both frustrating and rather bizarre)

Brevet (the french GCSE equivalent): Mention Très Bien (Highest distinction you can get, 5% of students achieve it a year approximately)

Predicted OIB: 17/20, roughly equivalent to A*A*A - A*A*A*

Course: Law with French Law

College: I'm torn: Worcester, Mansfield or Exeter...

Hope to see all of you in December 2015!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hh
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi guys: if any of you would like ideas of what it's like to study in Oxford (in general and for particular subjects) or wanna ask questions to students about anything, you might wanna check out the OxTweet outreach project on Twitter :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Both Oxford and Cambridge run amazing free summer schools for year 12 students from state schools. I went on the Oxford one, and had such a good time. So basically, I'd really encourage you to apply. You've got nothing to loose! Applications are open already for the Oxford summer school (UNIQ) and open for the Cambridge one (Sutton Trust) in a couple of days. You can apply for both. Lots of information on their websites:

http://www.uniq.ox.ac.uk/
http://www.suttontrust.com/programmes/uk-summer-school-2/

:smile:
Original post by fluteflute
Both Oxford and Cambridge run amazing free summer schools for year 12 students from state schools. I went on the Oxford one, and had such a good time. So basically, I'd really encourage you to apply. You've got nothing to loose! Applications are open already for the Oxford summer school (UNIQ) and open for the Cambridge one (Sutton Trust) in a couple of days. You can apply for both. Lots of information on their websites:

http://www.uniq.ox.ac.uk/
http://www.suttontrust.com/programmes/uk-summer-school-2/

:smile:

Don't understand why they have to make them state school only. :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azzer11
Don't understand why they have to make them state school only. :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The idea is to encourage people who wouldn't otherwise apply to Oxford to do so. And generally, that's less of an issue in private schools. But I can see the frustration, especially if your school isn't fantastic!

Latest