The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom_Ford
I would not bet against it. Not in the western world, but in certain areas of the globe I won't name sure. And then the chances of that spreading are perfectly possible.

Pandemics in general, I think it is just as equally likely to become a lot more serious in the western world in the future as it is to be non-threatening. Depends how strains evolve.

I think we have general control over pandemics, Ebola e.g. while there is no cure it had been declared ebola free in Nigeria as the disease was no longer spreading and any severely effected patient had already died.

Swine flu, avian flu etc. have all been sorted out it's just propaganda by the media used to fund the pharmaceutical companies, you make more money treating the disease than finding the cure for it.
Original post by jam277
I think we have general control over pandemics, Ebola e.g. while there is no cure it had been declared ebola free in Nigeria as the disease was no longer spreading and any severely effected patient had already died.

Swine flu, avian flu etc. have all been sorted out it's just propaganda by the media used to fund the pharmaceutical companies, you make more money treating the disease than finding the cure for it.

And SARS? I don't believe it is all propaganda. Our survival against such things can only be assured as far as we have control over them/anticipate them.
And SARS? I don't believe it is all propaganda. Our survival against such things can only be assured as far as we have control over them/anticipate them.

Ain't looked too much into SARS.

But anyway 627,000 people died of malaria in a year. About 5000 people died of ebola outbreak with 10k people infected in 2014. It's clear that one issue is being over represented by the media.

Malaria could be easily stopped with a few vaccines(I contracted it when I was younger and was fine within a week e.g.) so it's not like we aren't prepared to stop it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Ain't looked too much into SARS.

But anyway half a million people died of malaria last year. About 10000 people died of ebola outbreak. It's clear that one issue is being over represented by the media.

The media are full of ****. This film is a parody of sorts but it is pretty funny to think that the media feeds on newsworthy tragedy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightcrawler_%28film%29
Dunno how many of you fellas have read LOTR but this scene as a kid, but in the books Sam was overcome with courage and met Shelob with a hate that shelob was wary off.

(edited 9 years ago)
Not even joking, was reading Lord Of the Rings last night ans Sam killed shelob and did it
Original post by Eboracum
A political debate has emerged...well done Jam, I'm here to back you up.

- All drugs should be fully legalised. Eventually including dealers. United States drug policy has been an absolute disaster on a monumental scale. 2 million young people in prison, and estimated costs of $1tn US dollars a year, and what do they have to show for it, nothing. The people that really want drugs can already get them. These are the economic arguments, there are also moral and social arguments.
- Prohibition of alcohol in the United States in the 1920s, was an absolute disaster, hence the policy was reversed.

- The idea of not treating fat people, or not treating people with diabetes is a very slippery slope indeed. Because you say yes, its your fault, so we won't treat you. But where does that end? You were skiing and got in an accident, thats your fault should we not treat you? You were in a car...sometimes a crash is your fault, therefore we won't treat you. That's not the sort of health service I want.

Sorry for late reply.

I agree with what you say though. Tbh with fat people there are too many of them to pay for their treatment when it's a very avoidable thing bar for the obvious thyroid problem the main problem lies on education and if they're still ignorant then they should pay the price for it I'm a selective right winger but fatness is something I can't deal with sorry.

Wrt prohibition thank god it was such a disaster. Weird to think that people from that era still live now wonder how life was back then.
Original post by jam277
Sorry for late reply.

I agree with what you say though. Tbh with fat people there are too many of them to pay for their treatment when it's a very avoidable thing bar for the obvious thyroid problem the main problem lies on education and if they're still ignorant then they should pay the price for it I'm a selective right winger but fatness is something I can't deal with sorry.

Wrt prohibition thank god it was such a disaster. Weird to think that people from that era still live now wonder how life was back then.

Didn't you create a thread before on tackling obesity?

Could taxing junk food work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Isometrix
Didn't you create a thread before on tackling obesity?

Could taxing junk food work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess so same thing with drugs tax it to **** and people can enjoy it just at a price.

I was trolling in the thread tbh but obesity can be easily solved with education and some willpower.

Saw some fat sack of crap the other day guys belly couldn't handle the extra extra large and he smelt of fat person scent. Think he bought a giant pack of nandos crisps or doritos not like I'm ****ing surprised thought I was in a USA convenience store.
Reply 9369
Original post by jam277
I guess so same thing with drugs tax it to **** and people can enjoy it just at a price.

I was trolling in the thread tbh but obesity can be easily solved with education and some willpower.

Saw some fat sack of crap the other day guys belly couldn't handle the extra extra large and he smelt of fat person scent. Think he bought a giant pack of nandos crisps or doritos not like I'm ****ing surprised thought I was in a USA convenience store.

Not really fair as it's perfectly possible to eat junk food regularly and not be fat. The problem is generally overeating more than the types of food. You could have a fat tax of some sort though, doesn't Japan have financial punishments if your waist is too large or something.
Original post by Fideo
Not really fair as it's perfectly possible to eat junk food regularly and not be fat. The problem is generally overeating more than the types of food. You could have a fat tax of some sort though, doesn't Japan have financial punishments if your waist is too large or something.

Yeah do something like that.

I do like my KFC but that's clear from my genetics.
Problem is people just overeat, excessively smoke, drink too much etc with no emotional consequence on their own health. They know they get taken care of well here.

Need to adopt the Singapore health system, it's sick. They have to set aside a proportion of their income for healthcare, and spend it when they need to like hospital credits. These can be pooled within families. Various services are means tested which means it factors in a persons income so tackles any inequality. Fundamentally people are in charge of their own healthcare and prevents abuse of the healthcare system.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam277
Sorry for late reply.

Hello Jam. I'm just off to London for the day to see friends from last year actually, a shame this wasn't arranged earlier, otherwise we could have continued this over beer, perhaps another time soon!

On a fat tax (or a policy along the lines of no NHS treatment for porkers), you might argue that there are moral arguments in favour, such as that it is unfair for hard working Brits to pay for their habits, but of course, there are also moral arguments against. One is that, it's not the case that the more you eat the fatter you are. Some people can eat huge amounts and just not get fat, others, have to be very careful. Also, it's a slippery slope, because the same policy could apply for anything to smoking, drinking, or even accidents, because you might argue, well it's your fault. Then there is an argument about, it would be unfair because a child might have two fat parents, thus, more likely to be fat than somebody else.

Of course my real worry is how do you enforce it, do you say people over a certain weight can't get treatment, that would be draconian. I think it's a bad policy.

Anyway, tell me about Entourage, how much you watched? Is my boy Vinnie in double figures yet? :lol:
Original post by Fideo
Japanese society is quite amusing. They have a culture of corporate responsibility. Its coming under pressure now, but there is a culture of the corporation having responsibility towards its employees. I was reading they have a system now, where corps have to pay a fine for overweight employees. Think it might have been NEC, they were saying could save millions by getting its workforce into shape, and as such the company is taking steps with the canteen and work place incentives. You'd think there is a subtle pressure on employees too, because the company must be aware the fatties cost more to employ.

Japanese society is pretty different to ours though, its more sacrifice for the few for the sake of the many, rather than European style which is sacrifice of the many for the few. I think in reality the difference is minimal, but mentally there is a big difference between the few in terms of how if makes people act wrt to responsibility and entitlement.
Seeing as the European thread died, and there is no Serie A thread ( barely used if it exists), I'll post here.

Check out Mexes' attempt in the Roma-Milan game. Its just ridiculous, typical that he would try it, nearly pulls it off. Would surely have been in there for goal of the year.

She's basically a worldy. No one compares to u baby.
(edited 9 years ago)

She's basically a worldy. No one compares to u baby.

She's too ****ing crazy :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
She's too ****ing crazy :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:coma: Part of the appeal. Adore that sexy Fraulein.

Reply 9378
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1419336833.151087.jpg

Gus tho..
Original post by SHOO
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1419336833.151087.jpg

Gus tho..

He looks like Gru there from Despicable Me. Well, he does to me :teeth:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest