The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ak27g11
I'm through! Good luck everyone waiting :smile:

Congratulations!!

when did you have your FSAC And when did you hear?
Also what stream have you applied to?!
Original post by Tas321
I'm assuming I've been amber banded after my assesment centre on the 12th.

I know it's not definitely a rejection but I don't feel too hopefull.

Congrats to all those through and commiserations to those that haven't.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that yet, I had my FSAC for the finance scheme on December 4th and I found out I was successful on Dec 18th (exactly 2 weeks later).

Seems like the response times are very variable and even people who had FSAC on the same date are not hearing back at the same time.

Best of luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by frerejacques
I wouldn't necessarily assume that yet, I had my FSAC for the finance scheme on December 4th and I found out I was successful on Dec 18th (exactly 2 weeks later).

Seems like the response times are very variable and even people who had FSAC on the same date are not hearing back at the same time.

Best of luck!

Thanks! I applied to finance too. Do you have any ideas on where you would like to be based?
Original post by Tas321
Thanks! I applied to finance too. Do you have any ideas on where you would like to be based?

I am not too concerned really, I know we will have limited control over our placements so trying not to go into it with too many preconceived ideas about different departments and just roll with it! The finance scheme in its current form is new this year
as I understand it so will probably be a bit of
a learning experience for everyone. I think the idea with the central depts/generalist scheme at least is that most people do 3 of the first 4 placements in London and the other 1 outside of London. Either that or doing all the placements within London would suit me :smile:
Reply 1484
Hi Guys,

Quick question - I'm awaiting FSAC for General (Diplomatic) and European and was wondering.... if I didn't reach the pass mark for Diplomatic (but have central depts as second choice) or European, or was unsuccessful at FSB - is that me out? Or is there a chance I would be offered a central depts generalist place?

I know it's a long-shot and unlikely to happen - just wanted to be prepared for every eventuality. Does anyone have any insight on this? :confused:
Original post by udum
Hi Guys,

Quick question - I'm awaiting FSAC for General (Diplomatic) and European and was wondering.... if I didn't reach the pass mark for Diplomatic (but have central depts as second choice) or European, or was unsuccessful at FSB - is that me out? Or is there a chance I would be offered a central depts generalist place?

I know it's a long-shot and unlikely to happen - just wanted to be prepared for every eventuality. Does anyone have any insight on this? :confused:

If your grade doesn't meet the DS or European minimum but meets the GFS minimum and you have that as an option, then I believe you'd be offered it. At least that's how it works in every other stage of the process.
Btw, is anyone else joining Social Research Stream?
Has anyone had the FSAC for the ddiplomatic service yet?
Any economists received feedback for their EAC yet? If so, how do you get the feedback? Cheers
Original post by MessiMagic
Has anyone had the FSAC for the ddiplomatic service yet?

I don't think they get going til January.
Original post by TritonSails
I don't think they get going til January.

Thanks. Do you know how competitive the program is? And what the calibre is like?
Thanks. Do you know how competitive the program is? And what the calibre is like?

You can find loads of stats here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-fast-stream-report

So last year there were 44.7 applicants per place for the diplomatic service. But the first 2 stages cut those numbers down quite a lot, so it's not as scary at this point. I think the standard at this point is pretty good, but I do suspect that the public sector attracts on average less experienced candidates than, say, prestigious private sector grad schemes, simply because the public sector doesn't tend to require experience at all.
You can find loads of stats here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-fast-stream-report

So last year there were 44.7 applicants per place for the diplomatic service. But the first 2 stages cut those numbers down quite a lot, so it's not as scary at this point. I think the standard at this point is pretty good, but I do suspect that the public sector attracts on average less experienced candidates than, say, prestigious private sector grad schemes, simply because the public sector doesn't tend to require experience at all.

Some extremely useful information. Thanks so much. Are you applying for the diplomatic scheme? I'm quite excited by the program despite having a totally different background.
Original post by ParetoOptimum
Any economists received feedback for their EAC yet? If so, how do you get the feedback? Cheers

I don't think you receive any feedback on the EAC unless you fail and specifically request it. It's only the FSAC that feedback is provided by default regardless of success or failure.
Yo,

Passed my FSAC somehow (no idea), heard back after a week for any interested (e-tray after a day).

I applied for the commercial so just screening then placements sorted? No clue.
Original post by ProbablyNoGod
I don't think you receive any feedback on the EAC unless you fail and specifically request it. It's only the FSAC that feedback is provided by default regardless of success or failure.

Oh right. That's a shame...
For those that have passed the e-tray (FCO GFS in particular)... did it say successful immediately?
Some extremely useful information. Thanks so much. Are you applying for the diplomatic scheme? I'm quite excited by the program despite having a totally different background.

You're welcome. I am, but I am considering asking for my application to be withdrawn from consideration for the diplomatic service because I think I may actually prefer the central departments option, and in the event I pass FSAC but fail the selection board I would be assigned my first placement much later, as I understand.
You're welcome. I am, but I am considering asking for my application to be withdrawn from consideration for the diplomatic service because I think I may actually prefer the central departments option, and in the event I pass FSAC but fail the selection board I would be assigned my first placement much later, as I understand.

Oh I thought it would be quite late to change what you're applying for...
Do you have any other useful hints , tips or info the diplomatic service... Either about the process itself or the job role?
Oh I thought it would be quite late to change what you're applying for...
Do you have any other useful hints , tips or info the diplomatic service... Either about the process itself or the job role?

Well my application right now is for Diplo as 1st preference and CD as 2nd, so I can't imagine they'd have much of an issue with me simply asking not to be considered for the former, especially given it's one of if not the most competitive part(s) of the civil service. It's not like I want to change which scheme I apply for--they're not different streams/schemes, just different options within the GFS.

This is my first year applying (I'm still at uni) so I'm about as clueless as anyone really!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending