The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by luke829
I'd love to have an owner like Perez though

Perez doesn't put in his own money though. He just knows how to leverage money on big signings.
Original post by Zerforax
Perez doesn't put in his own money though. He just knows how to leverage money on big signings.

I'm not talking just about money, I'm talking about ambition
Original post by Zürich
Swear it was Luke on here adamant that Lambert was better than Giroud in July?

We shall see. Oli looked pretty good and fresh as a daisy vs Newcastle last week, trust he fancies his chances vs the famous Liverpool back 4 :tongue:

pretty sure i never said that, although i can never be certain with my fanboy nature over lambert.

not confident in the slightest for sunday, although at least we're at anfield and i'm hoping arsenal do their typical "play well for 10 minutes in the entire match" routine.
Original post by Lúcio
pretty sure i never said that, although i can never be certain with my fanboy nature over lambert.

not confident in the slightest for sunday, although at least we're at anfield and i'm hoping arsenal do their typical "play well for 10 minutes in the entire match" routine.

A worm, he squirms and the bird looks twice....
At least you're not doing as bad as Dortmund this season.
I've been having a think about Rodgers in general and personally I don't understand why some people defend him.

Rodgers during his reign has made some terrible, terrible signings.
In fact out of the 24 he has made, you could argue that only a few have made a significant positive impact; players like Sturridge and Coutinho, maybe desperately stretching to Moreno and Toure.
I don't give a damn that many of them are "for the future". We need players that can play for us now because the only "future" I see now looks very bleak indeed.

Okay fair enough maybe his signings have been terrible but maybe he was pressured in to some of them or maybe he was just unlucky? Lol no.
A good manager works with what he's got and Rodgers simply doesn't understand who his best players are and how to play them best. Yes here we are folks: long term player selection.

Crediting Savage's BBC sport article for the numbers, Mr. Joe Allen has played 62 league games for us.
What has he returned?
1 goal, 0 assists.
I don't care what anybody says, that is an absolutely appalling contribution.
I'm not sure if it's favouritism from his days at swansea, but SIXETY-BLOODY-TWO games playing that sideways passing retard with less strength than glass ankles Wilshere pisses me off beyond belief.

Thats just one example of many that makes me look back and seriously wonder whether Rodgers is actually good for the club or if he was just the luckiest manager in the world last season.
When you have a team that picks itself, world class attackers that score for fun and no extra european commitments, how hard is your job really?

It would be unfair to sack him in January but equally I wouldn't trust that man with another penny.
Where does that leave the club?
Screwed.

Yours sincerely,
A pessimistic Liverpool fan.

Original post by Eboracum
x

Thought I'd quote you since I'm sure you'd love to see this mental breakdown.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by luke829
I'm not talking just about money, I'm talking about ambition

It's easy to have ambition when your club has the highest revenues in the world and you're able to sell some club property to the council for 500mil in a shady deal.

You have to accept where Liverpool are as a club.
- We do not have sugar daddy owners like Chelsea or Man City. The new FFP rules would restrict any sugar daddy in any event now.
- We do not have the commercial revenues of Man Utd
- We do not have a huge stadium with obscene ticket prices in central London like Arsenal

We're some way behind those 4 and there's very little we can do that in the very short term.
Original post by Lúcio
I've been having a think about Rodgers in general and personally I don't understand why some people defend him.

Rodgers during his reign has made some terrible, terrible signings.
In fact out of the 24 he has made, you could argue that only a few have made a significant positive impact; players like Sturridge and Coutinho, maybe desperately stretching to Moreno and Toure.
I don't give a damn that many of them are "for the future". We need players that can play for us now because the only "future" I see now looks very bleak indeed.

Okay fair enough maybe his signings have been terrible but maybe he was pressured in to some of them or maybe he was just unlucky? Lol no.
A good manager works with what he's got and Rodgers simply doesn't understand who his best players are and how to play them best. Yes here we are folks: long term player selection.

Crediting Savage's BBC sport article for the numbers, Mr. Joe Allen has played 62 league games for us.
What has he returned?
1 goal, 0 assists.
I'm not sure if it's favouritism from his days at swansea, but SIXETY-BLOODY-TWO games playing that sideways passing retard with less strength than glass ankles Wilshere pisses me off beyond belief.

Thats just one example of many that makes me look back and seriously wonder whether Rodgers is actually good for the club or if he was just the luckiest manager in the world last season.
When you have a team that picks itself, world class attackers that score to fun and no extra european commitments, how hard is your job really?

It would be unfair to sack him in January but equally I wouldn't trust that man with another penny.
Where does that leave the club?
Screwed.

Yours sincerely,
A pessimistic Liverpool fan.

Thought I'd quote you since I'm sure you'd love to see this mental breakdown.

Rodgers' signings shouldn't be a black and white success/fail. You can't ignore future potential - what is a fail today can be tomorrow's greatest success (the best example in recent times is probably Bale who went from useless to hero for Spurs).
Original post by Echte Liebe
At least you're not doing as bad as Dortmund this season.

Yet no one is saying Klopp is a bad manager yet (admittedly he's achieved a lot more than Rodgers).
Rodgers' signings shouldn't be a black and white success/fail. You can't ignore future potential - what is a fail today can be tomorrow's greatest success (the best example in recent times is probably Bale who went from useless to hero for Spurs).

I'm not saying there's anything wrong buying for the future.
Potential can be an excellent money saver that some of the best clubs utilise in their players.

What I'm saying is that right now we don't need potential, we need bloody quality and we simply didn't get enough of it.

We all knew this season was absolutely essential.
Make top 4 and we finally look like an attractive, consistent option for quality players.
Fail to do so and we're just accepting that last year was a one off because of suarez.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7390
Yet no one is saying Klopp is a bad manager yet (admittedly he's achieved a lot more than Rodgers).

Well there's your answer. Klopp's career is still overwhelmingly positive, Rodgers' is about equal good and bad.
So does that mean AVBs and KKKennys signings are good too because a few of them worked out in the long run like Henderson, Suarez and Chadli.
Original post by jam277
So does that mean AVBs and KKKennys signings are good too because a few of them worked out in the long run like Henderson, Suarez and Chadli.

Also Rodgers kicked out Carroll then bought Lambert who is essentially a downgrade as they have the same function.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can see where Luke's coming from though. When you're spending that much money you need people to be hitting the ground running. You don't want the set the team back a couple of years surely - which is what has happened. I have little doubt that a lot of these signing will come good, but there we go. After finishing 2nd you want to build on it. Losing Suarez, and Sturridge for half a season is bad, but that's why you must replace Suarez - and I'm sure there must be some that fit that sort of category out there and fit the team's counter attacking style, even if i'm not sure who would fit myself - scouts are paid for this!
(edited 9 years ago)

Whilst this is true to some extent you can't buy all your players based on 'potential', it'll affect their development if they're playing in a team which isn't getting results and they don't have anyone to learn from.
Don't watch Markovic will go HAM in time. I have faith in the guy.
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Also Rodgers kicked out Carroll then bought Lambert who is essentially a downgrade as they have the same function.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Difference was that Lambert is 32 years old so brought in for the short term as a back up plan and for cup games, if Rodgers kept Caroll he would have had to play him with Suarez as a 2nd choice striker for the long term.

Where he really screwed up was buying Balotelli.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
Mr. Joe Allen has played 62 league games for us.
What has he returned?
1 goal, 0 assists.

Wasn't aware of those stats, but that's just appalling. He's not a top four player. I've heard Liverpool fans talking about him being class and a secret hero but that's awful. He's just Tom Cleverley Mk 2.

Would you trust Rodgers with more money? Not sure I would.
Original post by samir12
Difference was that Lambert is 32 years old so brought in for the short term as a back up plan and for cup games, if Rodgers kept Caroll he would have had to play him with Suarez as a 2nd choice striker for the long term.

Not to mention you got £15m for Carroll and Lambert only cost £4m. Plus I'd think you've saved on wages.
Original post by samir12

Not the point i was making. Rodgers got rid of Carroll as he didn't suit his style of play, then a few seasons on buys a target man? Hence why I call him a fraud, don't think he has a clue what he's doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest