The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3000
Original post by ^ForTheDream^
Hi man! Congrats on that, but I don't quite understand: Did you have a first round telephone interview with MS for their Spring and now you are going to have the final round interview already? And if so, how was the first round interview like?

Would greatly appreciate your help!

Yep, first round phone interview just over a week ago and have been invited to two final round interviews following that

It was mostly competency based + motivational questions, with some commercial awareness (which were follow ups on things I had mentioned in my answers).

Best of luck for yours! :smile:
Reply 3001
Original post by Anonynous
barclays
rbs
goldman sachs
nomura
bank of america
rothschild
bnp paribas
rbc capital markets insight day
bp (ist insight)
ey (insight into)
pwc
kpmg
deloitte
hsbc
shell
ubs
credit suisse
citigroup
deutsche bank
j.p. Morgan
morgan stanley
oliver wyman
mckinsey&co
blackrock
icap
lazard

do you mind if I ask what the Oliver Wyman and McKinsey programmes are? :smile:
Reply 3002
Original post by vmwl
Yep, first round phone interview just over a week ago and have been invited to two final round interviews following that

It was mostly competency based + motivational questions, with some commercial awareness (which were follow ups on things I had mentioned in my answers).

Best of luck for yours! :smile:

I had one phone interview and was no motivation/competency but straight market and business awareness related questions with lots of maths and brain teasers.... I am wondering why there are 3 rounds interview? I thought after this first one I would either be rejected or be passed forward for 2 round (last round?)

Are there actually three rounds? At an event I was told also that there were only 2
Reply 3003
Original post by blix2
I had one phone interview and was no motivation/competency but straight market and business awareness related questions with lots of maths and brain teasers.... I am wondering why there are 3 rounds interview? I thought after this first one I would either be rejected or be passed forward for 2 round (last round?)

Are there actually three rounds? At an event I was told also that there were only 2

Apologies, I might have been unclear in my explanation - the final round is made up of 2 telephone interviews so yes, there's two rounds :smile:
Original post by vmwl
do you mind if I ask what the Oliver Wyman and McKinsey programmes are? :smile:

Not sure, haven't searched them. I was given this list.
For RBS? Like whom?

I had an RBS interview mid November.
Original post by DavidMonk
guys do you think we'll hear from banks in for the next 15 days or so ? (do they close for like christmas/new year periods)

cheers

I bump this question up
Original post by JackR7821

have you received an offer or any further stages? Or have they kept quiet since then?
Original post by ProjectNr2
have you received an offer or any further stages? Or have they kept quiet since then?

Got a generic email saying I have reached the benchmark and that they will update me on whether I get an offer or not at the end of Feb, but I called them about a month ago asking whether they could update me, and say said they would around xmas time. I just wanna get an offer before they start mass offering, so I am going to call up again next week.
Reply 3009
Original post by JackR7821

Cool, I assume you aced the tests? I wish RBS would get back to me ha.
Reply 3010
im new to this forum, was wondering if anyone has had from CS after the online test ?

i have just taken the Talent Q verbal test for citibank and it was the most difficult thing ever
Original post by CD315
Cool, I assume you aced the tests? I wish RBS would get back to me ha.

Not really, I did them in like April or something last year for the A Level insight and that meant I didn't have to do the again. I did really averagely but for some reason I stood out enough for me to get a place there and ultimately be interviewed now haha. Good luck though, I have heard they were fairly mean this year.
Original post by mco10
im new to this forum, was wondering if anyone has had from CS after the online test ?

i have just taken the Talent Q verbal test for citibank and it was the most difficult thing ever

CS have given a few offers already, Talent Q is a.....:angry:
Hi guys, I'm just finishing off my applications and have quite a few questions which I can't seem to find the answer to online:

1) Just how competitive are spring weeks at the BB banks? I don't mean statistically, I just want to know how good your profile can be with there still being a strong chance of rejection.

2) How late can you apply while still being in with a good shot of acceptance? I know some deadlines have already passed (JPM, MS), but if the official deadline hasn't passed, can you still make a competitive application?

3) Just how valuable is business fluency in a second major European language (German, Russian, French etc.)

4) How important is it to excel in the online assessments? Is there a cut-off or is it the higher the better?

5) How important is it to do your research well for the competency questions? Are vaguely convincing answers about "an international environment" and "demanding work" going to ruin your chances, or is it just a way to improve your chances if you answer them particularly well?
Not sure, haven't searched them. I was given this list.

they are both insight days like rbc, not a spring week.
BCG run a 3 day insight for first years if you are interested in ManCon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Polymath
Hi guys, I'm just finishing off my applications and have quite a few questions which I can't seem to find the answer to online:

1) Just how competitive are spring weeks at the BB banks? I don't mean statistically, I just want to know how good your profile can be with there still being a strong chance of rejection.

2) How late can you apply while still being in with a good shot of acceptance? I know some deadlines have already passed (JPM, MS), but if the official deadline hasn't passed, can you still make a competitive application?

3) Just how valuable is business fluency in a second major European language (German, Russian, French etc.)

4) How important is it to excel in the online assessments? Is there a cut-off or is it the higher the better?

5) How important is it to do your research well for the competency questions? Are vaguely convincing answers about "an international environment" and "demanding work" going to ruin your chances, or is it just a way to improve your chances if you answer them particularly well?

They are probably more competitive than most of us think.

I know someone who's at a target studying Econ in his second year now, fluent in Chinese, was a first year rep in a finance society (he's now president). He applied for ~30 spring weeks last year and didn't get a single offer.
Original post by Bloxorus
They are probably more competitive than most of us think.

I know someone who's at a target studying Econ in his second year now, fluent in Chinese, was a first year rep in a finance society (he's now president). He applied for ~30 spring weeks last year and didn't get a single offer.

You've just described 60% of my uni haha
Original post by President M.E.
You've just described 60% of my uni haha

Well yeah haha, the first two points describe my uni too haha.

But I guess being good enough to become president of a finance society would make you think he could get at least 1 offer out of the 30 he applied for.
Ah man. These threads are always like labyrinths... This has probably been discussed somewhere but I was just wondering about how long it takes HSBC to review the app for a numerical invite? And how is the HSBC numerical compared the the BAML one? Thanks :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending