The Student Room Group

What GCSE's

I'm not sure which GCSE's to choose for my options, so far I want to do French, Geography, History and Computing, and Business Studies as a reserve choice, is this good? (I'm on ebacc route)
Original post by joe_2000
I'm not sure which GCSE's to choose for my options, so far I want to do French, Geography, History and Computing, and Business Studies as a reserve choice, is this good? (I'm on ebacc route)

Looks like a good combination to me, but what do you want to do at A Level?
Reply 2
Sounds good, it depends how much you enjoy these subjects and what you think is good for you.
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
Looks like a good combination to me, but what do you want to do at A Level?

I'd like to do business studies, maths further maths and I'm not sure for my fourth. Is business studies needed at GCSE to be an accountant?
I'd like to do business studies, maths further maths and I'm not sure for my fourth. Is business studies needed at GCSE to be an accountant?

Nope!
Reply 5
Original post by Chlorophile
Nope!

Thanks for replying so fast :smile: I think ill go with what i have above then, also do you know anything about gcse computing?
Thanks for replying so fast :smile: I think ill go with what i have above then, also do you know anything about gcse computing?

Looks like a good option if you're interested in it!
Reply 7

Your choices are fine but I think you should consider taking economics instead of business studies (if you're school offers it) as it's more respected by universities although it GCSE subject choices don't matter much. But definitely consider taking economics over business studies at a levels - it definitely will count then and will affect your chances. Plus, if it counts for anything my dad is a chartered accountant and recommends economics over business studies as knowledge of economic theories is essential for accounting.
Reply 8
Original post by pbunny
Your choices are fine but I think you should consider taking economics instead of business studies (if you're school offers it) as it's more respected by universities although it GCSE subject choices don't matter much. But definitely consider taking economics over business studies at a levels - it definitely will count then and will affect your chances. Plus, if it counts for anything my dad is a chartered accountant and recommends economics over business studies as knowledge of economic theories is essential for accounting.

We dont have the option at gcse but i will definetly do it at a-level, thanks
Reply 9

I do GCSE Computing if you have any questions about it (OCR). It's quite enjoyable, but the controlled assessments are a bit long.
Reply 10
Original post by Tau
I do GCSE Computing if you have any questions about it (OCR). It's quite enjoyable, but the controlled assessments are a bit long.

What sort of things do you learn about and what languages do you learn?
Damn, you're very organised asking people online what GCSEs to pick and even thinking about A levels. I wish I thought my A levels through and didn't pick them in 5 minutes on the spot. :angry:
Reply 12
What sort of things do you learn about and what languages do you learn?

The language depends on the school, normally everyone in a school does the same one, the most common ones are VisualBasic and Python (my school does Python). With regards to the things learnt about, there are 7 chapters.

1. Fundamentals of Computer Systems (standards, laws)
2. Computing Hardware (secondary storage, CPU, memory, binary logic, input and output devices).
3. Software (applications, off-the-shelf vs custom software).
4. Representation of Data in Computer Systems (binary, hexidecimal, images, sound)
5. Databases
6. Computer Communications and Networking (Different types of networks and their advantages/disadvantages)
7. Programming

Programming is tested more in the controlled assessments though.

If you are interested in computers and adequate at maths, then you should be fine.

Unlike ICT, there isn't too much boring theory like Databases. This is for OCR by the way.
Is accountancy a gcse subject as well? Can gcse be given privately from the UK as well?

Quick Reply

Latest