The Student Room Group

Studying for National 5 Prelims

This is my first year sitting the National 5 exams and I am doing 5 of them. (Business, Maths, Chemistry, Geography, History)

My first prelim is on the 21st of January and I'm trying to study now. Stuck though. Especially with maths I don't know how to study for it. Do I write out notes, do past papers, read over notes?

If anyone can give me some study tips for any subjects that would be great :smile:
For maths the best thing to do is practice some of the questions to get the hang of them and then do past papers. The best thing for maths is to practice and it's one of the subjects which has a lot of resources online.

For History I'd recommend just writing your notes out and trying to summarise it into key points and then try some of the exam questions. The 'How to Pass' book was what I used to history last year and I ended up getting an A.
Reply 2
Original post by ashleymacleod
For maths the best thing to do is practice some of the questions to get the hang of them and then do past papers. The best thing for maths is to practice and it's one of the subjects which has a lot of resources online.

For History I'd recommend just writing your notes out and trying to summarise it into key points and then try some of the exam questions. The 'How to Pass' book was what I used to history last year and I ended up getting an A.

Is time a problem in the history exam?
Original post by RossRFC
Is time a problem in the history exam?

Yeah I'd say so but it depends on how fast you write. What I did was I completed the questions which I knew that I could quickly and confidently answer first and the ones that were worth more marks. It wasn't much of a problem for me as I had about 5 minutes spare but for other people it was. Just make sure that you know your stuff well so you don't waste time thinking about a question for too long.
Reply 4
Original post by ashleymacleod
Yeah I'd say so but it depends on how fast you write. What I did was I completed the questions which I knew that I could quickly and confidently answer first and the ones that were worth more marks. It wasn't much of a problem for me as I had about 5 minutes spare but for other people it was. Just make sure that you know your stuff well so you don't waste time thinking about a question for too long.

Also any tips for the history assignment? What did you get in it

Also I don't know if you heard but an extra 15 minutes is added to nat5 history exam now:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RossRFC
Also any tips for the history assignment? What did you get in it

Also I don't know if you heard but an extra 15 minutes is added to nat5 history exam now:smile:

I've completely forgot what I got in the assignment oops and I can't really remember what I even done haha. Just do something which you find interesting as it makes it so much easier to learn and write about. If you stick to the structure then you should be fine.

Aw what I wish I had that last year :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending