The Student Room Group

I find a level Maths easier than GCSE Maths?

I'm doing GCSE right now and I'm currently on a B. I was just looking at A level Maths since I'm considering it... So I was basically looking at some of the modules and the further Maths stuff and it's easy?! I did the questions too and it wasn't difficult.
I'm not trying to sound big headed but why is it that I'm just suppressing a B at GCSE Maths whilst I can do the A level stuff?
Does anyone else feel this way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Which modules did you try? Did you do past paper or textbook questions?
I was doing all the matrix stuff with the algebra

Posted from TSR Mobile
Getting a B grade at maths GCSE shows that you are in an okayish position to do maths at A level but not further maths as the concepts are harder.
How can someone find A level maths easier than GCSE maths? That just does not make any sense at all as the concepts are a lot hard in A level maths than at GCSE.
Learning the basics of a new kind of arithmetic is generally quite easy as you have to build up from the beginning. It then gets more difficult when you can apply the new arithmetic to more complex situations.
Reply 6
Come back to the thread once you've actually learnt it instead of just looking over it. That's quite stupid, no wonder you got a B at GCSE.
Reply 7
Original post by German123
How can someone find A level maths easier than GCSE maths? That just does not make any sense at all as the concepts are a lot hard in A level maths than at GCSE.

AS Maths is very extremely easy if you spend time.
C1 - all algebra - very easy for pple who hate statistics at gcse and love algebra to do well. Marks given are ****** ridiculous. Like 7 marks for simutaneous equation??

C2 - hardest AS Maths module. Some parts are easy but most are hard.

Applied modules are just chucking numbers into an equation and using little knowledge, it's a joke. Like v2=u2+2at
Original post by naxiv
C1 - all algebra - very easy for pple who hate statistics at gcse and love algebra to do well. Marks given are ****** ridiculous. Like 7 marks for simutaneous equation??

Applied modules are just chucking numbers into an equation and using little knowledge, it's a joke. Like v2=u2+2at

I guess it depends on the person and either way how can you find something that is the next level up harder than something below that level? That still makes no sense whatsoever no matter what you define.
Reply 9
Original post by twisted
Come back to the thread once you've actually learnt it instead of just looking over it. That's quite stupid, no wonder you got a B at GCSE.

They said that they're currently working at a B, implying that they haven't sat their exams yet. You shouldn't rush to call OP stupid.
Original post by naxiv

Funny how you say it's easy, but you cannot remember the equation properly

It's v^2 = u^2 + 2as
Reply 11
I guess it depends on the person and either way how can you find something that is the next level up harder than something below that level? That still makes no sense whatsoever no matter what you define.

It does
The British education system is appalled
Reply 12
Original post by morgan8002
Funny how you say it's easy, but you cannot remember the equation properly

It's v^2 = u^2 + 2as

Lool it's cool
Original post by naxiv
It does
The British education system is appalled

what do you mean by "it does"? are you saying that it makes sense for A level maths to be easier than GCSE maths?

Every country seems to to have some fault in their educational system unfortunately?
Reply 14
what do you mean by it does? are you saying that it makes sense for A level maths to be easier than GCSE?

Every country seems to to have some fault in their educational system unfortunately?

I do 4 AS subjects and when you compare difficulty, they're all over the place. You look at Languages which are the hardest ALevel, then Business which is as easy as ****. It's meant to be a Level 3 qualification, hence all in respective difficulties
I get what you mean, C1 and FP1 are extremely easy, I'd go as far as to say they're definitely easier than the GCSE as a whole. BUT, C2 is considerably harder, and if you're thinking of doing further then you'll definitely have to do S1 and M1, and the statistics and probability, i'm guessing, are what turned you off the GCSE. So NO the A level is NOT easier, at least not for people who aren't comfortable with basic applied math (which is VERY important).
Reply 16
Original post by gagafacea1
I get what you mean, C1 and FP1 are extremely easy, I'd go as far as to say they're definitely easier than the GCSE as a whole. BUT, C2 is considerably harder, and if you're thinking of doing further then you'll definitely have to do S1 and M1, and the statistics and probability, i'm guessing, are what turned you off the GCSE. So NO the A level is NOT easier, at least not for people who aren't comfortable with basic applied math (which is VERY important).

C2 is ****ing me over
Them trig equations
Original post by naxiv
I do 4 AS subjects and when you compare difficulty, they're all over the place. You look at Languages which are the hardest ALevel, then Business which is as easy as ****. It's meant to be a Level 3 qualification, hence all in respective difficulties

Every qualification is difficult imo be it GCSE or A level or others.
Original post by naxiv
C2 is ****ing me over
Them trig equations

Oh god, I hope you're not planning to do C3 then...:K:
Reply 19
Every qualification is difficult imo be it GCSE or A level or others.

I could do business studies, film studies, critical thinking and General thinking and get 4as
But then do French, Physics, Chemistry and Spanish and completely fcuk it up

Quick Reply

Latest