The Student Room Group

To my Future Self...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/12/15/teacher-has-students-write-letter-future-selves-posts-20-years-later_n_6326120.html?utm_hp_ref=uk-students

I've just been reading about a teacher who asked his students to write letters to their future selves and then he delivered them 20 years later.

What would you say to your future self?

I think I would tell my future self to get in contact with old friends and to get on with writing the book I've been going on about my whole life!

Scroll to see replies

Ten pages? Blimey.

I would probably write about what my current thoughts were on people, family and what I wanted to do for the future. Like yourself I would also make sure that I included a message about keeping in touch with old friends. Time just goes by so fast and you lose touch :moon:
Original post by SirMasterKey
Ten pages? Blimey.

I would probably write about what my current thoughts were on people, family and what I wanted to do for the future. Like yourself I would also make sure that I included a message about keeping in touch with old friends. Time just goes by so fast and you lose touch :moon:

Tell me about it! Now I am in my twenties I swear everything is going by faster and now my friends are all spread out which makes staying in contact so much harder!
Original post by Queen Cersei
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/12/15/teacher-has-students-write-letter-future-selves-posts-20-years-later_n_6326120.html?utm_hp_ref=uk-students

I've just been reading about a teacher who asked his students to write letters to their future selves and then he delivered them 20 years later.

What would you say to your future self?

I think I would tell my future self to get in contact with old friends and to get on with writing the book I've been going on about my whole life!

Keeping in contact is always difficult once you get older
Hey, future self.
Who did you end up with? Tell me now so I can spend longer falling in love with her, loving her, and being with her.

Ta mate. x
Original post by Annabelle-xx
Keeping in contact is always difficult once you get older

You would think social networks like facebook would help but I think it just means you are less likely to bother to meet up! I really miss the social side of being in education!
Future Self

Did I ever finish the Fun Stuff list? I'm guessing around 2019? :tongue:
There's a website called FutureMe and you just write an email and choose when you want to receive it in the future. Once you write it and send it you can't reread what you wrote until it is delivered to you. It's really cool, you can also read letters other people sent to themselves. :smile:
Dear Future Self,
keep on striving no matter how laborious it may be.
You need that constant academic succession, get into Edinburgh university, and do not fall in love.
You need that doctorate in chemistry, that's all.
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Future Self

Did I ever finish the Fun Stuff list? I'm guessing around 2019? :tongue:

What is the Fun Stuff list?
Original post by The.Joker
There's a website called FutureMe and you just write an email and choose when you want to receive it in the future. Once you write it and send it you can't reread what you wrote until it is delivered to you. It's really cool, you can also read letters other people sent to themselves. :smile:

Wow, this sounds awesome!
Reply 11
Thanks for making this thread as it reminded me that 2 years ago I did this very thing - sent a letter to my future self, to be received a few months ago. Trawling through my email inbox, sure enough, there it was on the date it was supposed to arrive at.

I'd written speculatively about how much closer I'd be to my life goals, what my job might be, and gave some words of encouragement and advice.
What is the Fun Stuff list?

Netflix and Waterstones bucket list! :tongue:
I used that FutureMe thing years ago, i think! I havent received anything yet and I can't remmeber when I set it for. Unless I did it in 2003 and I just missed the email, which would be a shame.

I think I would tell 46 year old me that I am currently waiting on a pizza to be delivered so thats probably why I weigh 250lbs in 2034.
Dear future me,

I hope that by now you've landed a job that you're happy with in a place you're happy with. I also hope that you've proved to the people back home that a degree in psychology doesn't equal a job in human resources at some big shot corporation. Please tell me that you've also met and a guy whom you're going steady with. Ultimately I hope you're still friends with SN, she's a limited edition pal.
Writing myself a personal FutureMe letter :smile:
Reply 16
Cringe.
receiving it by email seems a really bad idea I doubt I would be using the same email in 20 years.i would probably say something like this:I am really impressed for getting through so much in life if you are still alive.I hope that you have finally found the happiness I have searched for all my life and I am hoping that this is partially caused by finding an attractive wife and ensuring your genes are passed onto the next generation.It is ok if you didn't find a good job as long as you got good grades in your A Levels and Degree and aren't too bored by this working class job, money is never that important as long as you have a reasonable amount.If you are not alive I hope you are ok in whatever the afterlife there is/ I would like to think you are living a new better afterlife than the one I am now, one in which you can develop a more sustainable personality.
Original post by miser
Thanks for making this thread as it reminded me that 2 years ago I did this very thing - sent a letter to my future self, to be received a few months ago. Trawling through my email inbox, sure enough, there it was on the date it was supposed to arrive at.

I'd written speculatively about how much closer I'd be to my life goals, what my job might be, and gave some words of encouragement and advice.

Ahaha no problem :tongue:

How accurate was the letter?
Reply 19
Ahaha no problem :tongue:

How accurate was the letter?

Pretty accurate I suppose. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest