The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Congratulations to those who have just received offers! :smile:
Original post by aimeen93
Hi all, I am applying for Birmingham City University for the 3 year under grad course in speech therapy. I have already undertaken a full degree in English language and linguistics, where I obtained a 2:1. I found my modules in psycholingustics and phonology fascinating, so I really hope I get a place at BCU for Sept. I've just sent off my application today and I am very, very nervous :smile: Are there any other applicants with a degree? Im worried that it will be against me having a degree, but hopefully not!

Aimee x

Hey Aimee, at least you've completed yours! where did you study? I did Lang and Ling 1st (and currently 2nd) year at Essex; I decided to apply this year rather than wasting time and having e-mailed the unis I've applied to and been told they'd accept my transfer you're more than fine! BCU was one of them so since you've graduated you'll be in a stronger position then I am.
Original post by AmyPilot
There are 4 guys at MMU this year

Ahh cool, what are the facilities and accommodation like @ MMU?
Original post by SALT_2015
I'm a guy applying for the 2015 cycle so you're not the only one buddy 😊

I work in schools and colleges as a welfare officer so I have a bit of experience of working with children.

Ah sweet - nice experience! :biggrin: Glad I'm not the only one, where are you applying too?
Original post by nesca89
Congratulations to those who have just received offers! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations indeed!
Original post by Higlet
When I was at the Birmingham City interview there were a few boys there!!

Experience wise:
Spoken with a private based speech therapist and observed a session
Spoken with a NHS based speech therapist
I took part in a beach mission where I worked with kids
I babysit (not sure if this counts for much but I threw it in my personal statement!

By the way... Is anyone on here also expecting a reply from Birmingham City any time soon?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh fair enough! More than I thought it seems! Must have been cool to see the difference between NHS and private!
Original post by nesca89
I seen 1 guy at the interviews last year and haven't seen any this year. Its a female dominant profession I think. But if you go ahead with it, I reckon a guy would have more chance at getting a job because it's rare so you'll be special :tongue: haha.

I've shadowed a speech therapist in a hospital, worked with mentally ill adults, worked on a dementia unit and also with children with special needs. Experience doesn't mean much however if you can't apply well what you have learnt :smile:

Is this your 2nd cycle or something? Ahh being special sounds good to me - I'll take that. Tbh, I used that line already when I applied for a Language analysis placement @ my uni; I was like I need this opportunity to help me break into the female dominated profession of SaLT and some bs about boys being more responsive to a male therapist than a female therapist - so I'm not going to complain to much. Your experience is amazing though!
Original post by evantej
There was me and another guy who commented infrequently last year. You will in most likely be the only guy at your interview and on your course if successful.

Newcastle have three guys this year which is very rare. The previous year they had one and he dropped out.
Posted from TSR Mobile

That's crazy, I thought Newc would've had more!
Congrats to those with offers, must be nice to know you've got your foot in the door and that you're so close to it.
Original post by shropshirelass51
No, still waiting. I had the interview two weeks ago and didn't do as well as I should have, so not that hopeful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, I'm sure you did really well. I know what you might feel though. I felt okay immediately after, but having had a few weeks to think and reflect, I think I might have waffled in the written part and didn't say as much or as succinctly as I could have. Not nerves necessarily - more like overexcited and my brain was too fast and pen too slow. I had to leave out things as I didn't have enough space/time to write!

I am so pleased offers are coming in. I haven't heard back from BCU yet and hope I will after Christmas. I hope x million it is a "Yes" but I am worried it might be a "No" as I only applied there. I am nervous about any UCAS updates now offers from them have started coming! Fingers crossed!
Reply 747
I GOT A PLACE AT BIRMINGHAM. SO HAPPY 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CuriousLinguist
Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, I'm sure you did really well. I know what you might feel though. I felt okay immediately after, but having had a few weeks to think and reflect, I think I might have waffled in the written part and didn't say as much or as succinctly as I could have. Not nerves necessarily - more like overexcited and my brain was too fast and pen too slow. I had to leave out things as I didn't have enough space/time to write!

I am so pleased offers are coming in. I haven't heard back from BCU yet and hope I will after Christmas. I hope x million it is a "Yes" but I am worried it might be a "No" as I only applied there. I am nervous about any UCAS updates now offers from them have started coming! Fingers crossed!

Sounds really similar to me. As you know I have only applied to BCU, as well. I knew as soon as I got on the train home what I had done wrong; wrote a whole load of stuff without actually stopping and considering what they were asking for. Waffle, probably is a good summary. I am trying to be philisophical! Fingers crossed for us both and all those waiting.

Original post by JordanC55

Ah sweet - nice experience! :biggrin: Glad I'm not the only one, where are you applying too?

I've applied to Reading, DMU, UEA, Sheffield and Leeds. So far I have had an interview at DMU, a questionnaire from Reading and an E-mail from UEA telling me they will consider me in January once all applications are in. Still waiting to hear from Sheffield and Leeds so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Hey Aimee, at least you've completed yours! where did you study? I did Lang and Ling 1st (and currently 2nd) year at Essex; I decided to apply this year rather than wasting time and having e-mailed the unis I've applied to and been told they'd accept my transfer you're more than fine! BCU was one of them so since you've graduated you'll be in a stronger position then I am.

I went to Wolverhampton University, as I wanted to be close to home and same again. I've only applied to BCU, so I am putting all my eggs in one basket! If they don't mind you just doing the two years, then theres no worry in not completing it. What about you?

At BCU is it JUST written interview or also a verbal one? I shall get my reading glasses on tonight in prep of an interview offer!

Im worried after seeing all of these conditional offers from BCU, I hope they have some left to give. Are offers first come first served?

Aimee
Also, how long did people wait for the request to interview?
Original post by SALT_2015

I've applied to Reading, DMU, UEA, Sheffield and Leeds. So far I have had an interview at DMU, a questionnaire from Reading and an E-mail from UEA telling me they will consider me in January once all applications are in. Still waiting to hear from Sheffield and Leeds so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

How was the DMU interview? I wanna go there so badly. Leeds is definitely a close 2nd; UEA is a cool uni, I'm doing my current undergrad @ Essex and they're our derby rivals so I've been a few times! I find the whole UCAS thing proper soul-destroying.
[QUOTE="aimeen93;52398891"]

I went to Wolverhampton University, as I wanted to be close to home and same again. I've only applied to BCU, so I am putting all my eggs in one basket! If they don't mind you just doing the two years, then theres no worry in not completing it. What about you?

At BCU is it JUST written interview or also a verbal one? I shall get my reading glasses on tonight in prep of an interview offer!

Im worried after seeing all of these conditional offers from BCU, I hope they have some left to give. Are offers first come first served?

Aimee

It's a written interview only, at BCU. I am sure there will be plenty of places left, apparently they have an intake of around 70 each year.
[QUOTE="shropshirelass51;52399059"]

It's a written interview only, at BCU. I am sure there will be plenty of places left, apparently they have an intake of around 70 each year.

Fab! Although, I do love face to face interviews too (maybe love is a strong word?). Well, hopefully from studying my degree, I should be okay at that. If I can't write a well written application, then I should totally accept that I have wasted the last three years of my life! Ha ha!

So glad there is a high number of spaces.
(edited 9 years ago)

Aimee

Ah nice, I go to Essex, I wanted to completely fly the nest so I'm the complete opposite. Yeah no I understand but having completed it you'll have a wider scope of options; I'm not overtly worried though cause worst case scenario I'm applying next year and more unis will accept my application cause I've graduated. BCU looks really good though!
(edited 9 years ago)
OMG just been offered a place at Cardiff Met!!! So HAPPY! YAY!!! :biggrin::smile::biggrin:
Original post by madagascar
OMG just been offered a place at Cardiff Met!!! So HAPPY! YAY!!! :biggrin::smile::biggrin:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! So glad you've heard back!!!
Original post by rhimair
CONGRATULATIONS!!! So glad you've heard back!!!

Aw thank you - me too lol! Can't believe it really. Best Christmas pressie ever lol!!

Is this your 2nd cycle or something? Ahh being special sounds good to me - I'll take that. Tbh, I used that line already when I applied for a Language analysis placement @ my uni; I was like I need this opportunity to help me break into the female dominated profession of SaLT and some bs about boys being more responsive to a male therapist than a female therapist - so I'm not going to complain to much. Your experience is amazing though!

Yes it is, I applied last year but my options are limited to 2 unis as I don't want to move! Ah good idea, im sure you'll be fine hehe.

Quick Reply

Latest