The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maythelawbewithu
Applied mid November, heard today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
Does anyone know how flexible firms tend to be when it comes to changing your preferred vac scheme dates?
PFO Allen & Overy :erm:
Original post by Kidioteque
Does anyone know how flexible firms tend to be when it comes to changing your preferred vac scheme dates?

Don't think they mind too much - provided they have space on the other schemes (one benefit of applying early)
Original post by liarpoker
Don't think they mind too much - provided they have space on the other schemes (one benefit of applying early)

Original post by J-SP
The earlier you state your preference to change the better.

If you have an offer, they will do the best to accommodate the change but it will depend on how full the scheme you are looking to move into is. I used to move people around a fair amount, especially as they got offers from other firms and used to operate a waiting list for those who I couldn't accommodate there and then.

If you haven't got an offer then I really wouldn't worry about it until you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot, both of you. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Would a question about personal qualities relate more to things like integrity, humility, stamina etc rather than analytical aptitude, lateral thinking, commercial awareness etc?

Thanks!
Original post by J-SP
What does the question say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In your view which personal qualities make a successful lawyer?
Original post by J-SP
Personal qualities cover most of what you have said in many ways. The only thing I'd say isn't a personal quality is anything regarding technical knowledge like "commercial awareness".

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
Anyone attending Mayer Brown open day on 8th January? :smile:
Got the Macfarlanes open day/assessment centre!! There were only 2 slots left, one of which I obviously just took, don't know if they only offered me 2 or if that means there is only one slot left though. Is anyone else going to Macfarlanes on Tues 13th??
Original post by ChoccyWoccy
PFO Allen & Overy :erm:

Ah that's a shame :frown: can I ask when you applied?
Original post by legallife
Ah that's a shame :frown: can I ask when you applied?

Two Wednesdays ago - good luck :smile:
Original post by TykeDragon
Got the Macfarlanes open day/assessment centre!! There were only 2 slots left, one of which I obviously just took, don't know if they only offered me 2 or if that means there is only one slot left though. Is anyone else going to Macfarlanes on Tues 13th??

What does that mean there is no point applying to Macfarlanes now?
Reply 633
Original post by NotMikeRoss
Application been put on hold by Kirkland & Ellis, anyone knows what that means or also heard back from them?

Hey! Same here... not sure if good or bad!
Reply 634
Original post by mack3
Same with me! I guessed that its not an instant rejection so they will just compare all the applications on hold after the deadline and decide who to invite to interview. I don't know if that's actually what it means though

Hey guys! I also got that. I was happy it wasnt a rejection since that's the only thing I have been receiving lately. Not sure what it really means though ... I wonder if some people had straight invitations/ rejections or everyone got the same message..
Reply 635
Original post by J-SP
Hold messages are hard to decipher unless it explicitly states why they haven't made a decision.

It could be they haven't got the time to review your application at the moment, it could be they can't work out how many people they need on the scheme/programme and so are holding off, or it could just be they are waiting to see how their first batch of interviews go. Depending on their process they might be even waiting for further information (e.g. References).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for your input! have a lovely christmas!
Original post by loveheartsandall

Would be surprised if they had filled it all up over a month before the deadline :eek:

Idk, it did suggest that they only had one vacancy left on an open day, but they may hire a couple others and see them another time - they did have a note saying 'if neither of these days are good for you, contact grad recruitment.' that might suggest they still have some flexibility? i doubt they're already full, theyre open till 31st jan!

Again, anyone going to the Tues 13th Day? :biggrin:
Original post by TykeDragon
Idk, it did suggest that they only had one vacancy left on an open day, but they may hire a couple others and see them another time - they did have a note saying 'if neither of these days are good for you, contact grad recruitment.' that might suggest they still have some flexibility? i doubt they're already full, theyre open till 31st jan!

Again, anyone going to the Tues 13th Day? :biggrin:

I would be hugely surprised if those are the only blocks they will offer to at all - many firms do several batches of open days/assessment centres, so you may only originally be offered a certain set of them (with then the option, as TykeDragon said, of other dates being available, if you're unable to make the dates offered). For example, I was only offered two slots by Jones Day, but I'm sure they will still be recruiting a good number more candidates. Hope that helps :smile:
Signing off for Christmas :wavey:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending