The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Anyone miss their grades and still get in?

I've just recieved an offer from Bristol and I'm delighted as its my first choice. However the offer is AAA and I am predicted AAB. I think I will get AAB or even A*AB but I really dont think I could get AAA.

Did any current students miss their grades but still get into bristol?
Is it worth putting it as my first choice, would Bristol accept me with AAB?

Thanks in advance
1) Whatever happened last year (or any year) to someone else does not give you any indication of what might happen to YOU this year.

2) Bristol is RG. This means that competition for places is fierce - ie. they do not need to take anyone who misses their grades because they know they will get phone calls from lots of people with the right grades (and above) in Adjustment etc. Slackers need not apply.

Only you know if you can pull your finger out and put enough work in to get you the right grades. If you know perfectly well that even with that you won't get the grades, its probably a total waste of time choosing somewhere like Bristol as a Firm. If you cant actually be bothered to put in the work to get to Bristol, then it isn't the Uni for you. We work very hard here - its a prestigious Uni for a reason.

So - how badly do you want to come here? Enough to do some work, or do you just want an easy life? Only you can decide.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by sydneybridge
1) Whatever happened last year (or any year) to someone else does not give you any indication of what might happen to YOU this year.

2) Bristol is RG. This means that competition for places is fierce - ie. they do not need to take anyone who misses their grades because they know they will get phone calls from lots of people with the right grades (and above) in Adjustment etc. Slackers need not apply.

Only you know if you can pull your finger out and put enough work in to get you the right grades. If you know perfectly well that even with that you won't get the grades, its probably a total waste of time choosing somewhere like Bristol as a Firm. If you cant actually be bothered to put in the work to get to Bristol, then it isn't the Uni for you. We work very hard here - its a prestigious Uni for a reason.

So - how badly do you want to come here? Enough to do some work, or do you just want an easy life? Only you can decide.

Wow I wasn't expecting to get such a negative and heinous reply. I was under the impression this forum was for helping people and giving them advice not talking down to them. Saying that I would be a 'slacker' to work hard enough to get AAB at a level is so rude and demoralising not only to me but to everyone else who is working their butts off to achieve those VERY high grades.

The mere fact I have started this thread shows how seriously I am taking my decision regarding choosing Bristol as my firm. I do 'pull my finger out' and am putting in more than 'enough work' to get the highest grades I can but from my previous grades I know its nigh on impossible to go from a C to an A. I love the university and the city of Bristol and the fact it is prestigious university is one of the reasons why I am desperate to go but I know that I must be smart with my decision of my firm choice if I do not believe I will get the grades. I was asking for other students experiences to give me an idea of Bristol admissions, I am more than aware of how fierce the competition is and do not appreciate you using that as a way of putting me down.

I appreciate any advice anyone else may be able to offer.

This is harsh but realistic advice! :smile: really sorry to agree here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lg97
Wow I wasn't expecting to get such a negative and heinous reply. I was under the impression this forum was for helping people and giving them advice not talking down to them. Saying that I would be a 'slacker' to work hard enough to get AAB at a level is so rude and demoralising not only to me but to everyone else who is working their butts off to achieve those VERY high grades.

The mere fact I have started this thread shows how seriously I am taking my decision regarding choosing Bristol as my firm. I do 'pull my finger out' and am putting in more than 'enough work' to get the highest grades I can but from my previous grades I know its nigh on impossible to go from a C to an A. I love the university and the city of Bristol and the fact it is prestigious university is one of the reasons why I am desperate to go but I know that I must be smart with my decision of my firm choice if I do not believe I will get the grades. I was asking for other students experiences to give me an idea of Bristol admissions, I am more than aware of how fierce the competition is and do not appreciate you using that as a way of putting me down.

I appreciate any advice anyone else may be able to offer.

Lol dismiss the faggot above you, he's in over his head. Just work hard for the grades, they really aren't that hard to achieve. Landing at Bristol does not make you the master of the universe as some(a few, really) of their students are so ready to believe.
Reply 5
I did to answer your question.

Offered A*AA and got AAA.

I will say that I do agree a little bit with the above poster's first point about essentially not taking my success as particular hope the same will happen to you, for instance. But I say this mainly because it just depends on what happens with how many people miss their grades in your year. BUT also just depends on the department. It's a misconception to lump the whole uni together, the admissions works closely with each department who will essentially decide whether they want you or not.

I do kind of disagree with the second point, however. I was told by my department's lecturers on offer holder open day that them giving you an offer means they want you. They want you and that's that. Obviously if you let them down drastically they will no longer want to offer you a place but they do sincerely hope you make their offer so that they can just easily let you in.

I'm just saying yes it is possible to still be accepted, but that's all you can really take from asking others if they were accepted having missed their grades.

Also, the standard offer for my course, and the offer offered to the majority of everyone else, was AAA. I was, for some unknown reason, offered A*AA. Having missed that and got AAA, I reckon they were just trying to challenge me and were always going to accept everyone who got AAA.

Good god, who vomited in your cereal this morning?

1. Whatever happened last year is no indication, sure, but it can provide reassurance or a reality check for someone who's looking for one or the other. Working on past precedent really isn't as useless as you're making it sound. Unless entry requirements/course intakes change dramatically, year-to-year, things won't change that much.

2. Russell Group means only that a university's research is consistently well-ranked. Naturally, RG unis have high standards. Which is why, actually, on results day this year, the only places to be had in Adjustment for Bristol were lots of joint honours languages courses. Bristol aren't just going to throw around places like dollar bills from the hands of a fiscally irresponsible rapper. Who's to say they'll give out an AAA place on results day to anyone, even if they got an A* or two and did Platinum DofE or whatever? For an AAA course, they'll be more concerned at looking at students who perhaps didn't get AAA, but actually applied to Bristol and firmed them -- especially for courses that interview or focus heavily on personal statements.

It's also inordinately offensive that you'd think that "slackers need not apply". What's a slacker to you? Someone who doesn't publicly work to your standard? You don't know them, you don't know what their situation is. People get all sorts of results for all sorts of reasons. I know plenty of people who could be deemed as "lazy" who did extremely well. I also know plenty of people who worked their asses off and it didn't quite work out for them. Basically: what a ridiculous attempt at a value judgement.

I'm on an A*AA course at Bristol. On results day, I got AAA. They let me in. (I got a remark and by the end of August I had A*AA, but that's besides the point. They accepted me with AAA.) A friend on the same course got A*A*C on results day. She was fine, too. Don't listen to this guy, OP. He sounds like one of many of the Bristol students I know who genuinely think that they are some kind of academic demi-god for making it into a half-decent university. You keep working hard, OP, and I'm sure you'll be fine. Even if you're not, it won't be the end of the world. Bristol isn't the only place out there.
Okay this get's complicated, I'll do my best to describe what happened to me:

Course: Politics and Sociology (Standard Offer: AAB)
Offer I got: ABB
Grades I got: BBB (one of which was 1 UMS off A)

Still got in!!!

There's so many factors affecting the choices the admin team make. I got a contextual offer because allegedly my school wasn't great, however my friend didn't get a contextual offer for law even though we were in the same school together!! It happened to me four times, two contextual offers from Bristol and two from Exeter (but I don't talk of my application to Durham :wink: ) But enough of my rambling, the fact they let me in despite me missing the offer by one grade really saved my life, if they hadn't have let me in I would have had to have taken my clearing place at UWE D:

The University also seems to have an expansion policy at the moment as more students = more money for them! I think those of us that got in this year without he grades may have benefited considerably as a result.

Edit: I can tell you anything else you might want to know about the uni/city so feel free to ask :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by lg97
I've just recieved an offer from Bristol and I'm delighted as its my first choice. However the offer is AAA and I am predicted AAB. I think I will get AAB or even A*AB but I really dont think I could get AAA.

Thanks in advance

I got BBC at AS level, got predicted AAB so didn't even bother applying to Bristol which was AAA. Anyway results day came and I got AAA so got into Bristol through adjustment.

Moral of the story, of course you need to be realistic with what university's you apply to but I think your first choice should always be slightly above what you expect to achieve come results day anyway!

Aim for the skies! :goodluck: :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by lg97

Thanks in advance

Similarly to a couple of people here, I missed the offer by one grade (I got ABB and offer was AAB) but I still got in. It was a pretty stressful day and both I and a couple of teachers on my behalf were on and off the phone for 6 hours, but eventually I got the OK.

Obviously, I wouldn't ever recommend resting on your laurels and putting yourself through that kind of risk - I know that it is waaay more competitive now than when I applied - but I also wouldn't completely give up if on results day it doesn't go your way. Working your hardest is a given, but you just never know what happens on exam day. Essentially, like most other people here, I would say try and get those grades, but remember that if they have given you an offer they want you at the university. If you only just miss the offer, don't give up and persevere! Good Luck!
I'm in the exact same position as you! AAA offer, AAB prediction but trying for A*AB for law at Bristol to start this September x
I missed my grades for Bristol and Cardiff (Cardiff was my firm with ABB and Bristol was my insurance with BBC) I got BBC which didn't meet the conditional offer for Bristol but I still had offers from both of them admittedly i did ring Bristol first and accepted their offer so I got in with the wrong grades
If people like you go to Bristol, id reeeeeeally try to get into another. Jesus christ. The op just wanted a bit of advice. Good luck in life with your attitude.
hey, did you get into bristol with ur grades (if u don't mind saying, what did you get?) how did it go for you? what course are you studying?

BUMP :smile:
Original post by lg97

Thanks in advance

Did you get in?

Latest

Trending

Trending