The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cant_think_of_name
Of the 15 wide receivers taken in the first 3 rounds of the 2014 draft, 13 are now starters on offense, and 1 is a starter on special teams (Josh Huff).

Cody Latimer is the only one who doesn't do very much.

That receiver class is just ridiculous.

Allen Hurns and Martavis Bryant came from lower down too.

Hurns came from UDFA territory! You're right though. everyone knew about the WR class' potential and a lot of them are delivering week in week out.
Original post by Wattsy
Hurns came from UDFA territory! You're right though. everyone knew about the WR class' potential and a lot of them are delivering week in week out.

So excited to see how Paul Richardson develops. We really need a deep threat to open up the defenses a little bit more.
So excited to see how Paul Richardson develops. We really need a deep threat to open up the defenses a little bit more.

I haven't heard much about him but to borrow a phrase from our English game of football what I have heard is that he has 'bags of pace.' The Seahawks need that kind of receiving options after their failure with Harvin. Makes you wonder if it's the coaching that's limiting the deep ball threat though.
Original post by munn
Team that I think has the best chance to beat us is the Lions - stout run D, awesome pass rush, two legitimately awesome WRs and solid enough running backs that you can't afford to cheat up in any way, have to respect all facets of the game.

With that said, I still can't see us losing to them - particularly at home following a 1st round bye.

Stafford against the legion of boom?..

I agree with the other comment, it'd be a big performance from an experienced play-off team like GB that could beat Seattle, nobody else.
Original post by Wattsy
I haven't heard much about him but to borrow a phrase from our English game of football what I have heard is that he has 'bags of pace.' The Seahawks need that kind of receiving options after their failure with Harvin. Makes you wonder if it's the coaching that's limiting the deep ball threat though.

He's improved greatly these last few weeks. Obviously got a way to go but he just keeps getting better every game
Of the 15 wide receivers taken in the first 3 rounds of the 2014 draft, 13 are now starters on offense, and 1 is a starter on special teams (Josh Huff).

Cody Latimer is the only one who doesn't do very much.

That receiver class is just ridiculous.

Allen Hurns and Martavis Bryant came from lower down too.

I sincerly hope the Seahawks give Kevin Norwood his chance. He's not got top, top speed or size...but dayum, does he know how to catch a football. He was clutch as **** for Alabama back in college.

Cody Lattimer has been injured. I just hope the Broncos use him more than Andre Caldwell next year, although he has his use as a blocking WR, due to being the strongest WR of the 2014 draft class.
(edited 9 years ago)
My thoughts on DENvsCIN, are as follows...

Sad but true.... still....it was always going to be tough to face Cinci in the Jungle. Credit where it's due...Cinci played an excellent football game. Their offense was better than the Broncos' defense. Their defense was better than the Broncos' offense. And, their special teams was much better than the Broncos' ST. And while it was going to be tough anyway, it's **much harder** when they have a -2 turnover differential, and Manning has 4 picks. The game doesn't really change much in the grand scheme of things...as the Patriots pretty much had a lock on the No.1 seed anyway...but there is a crisis of confidence. The Broncos have to respect Oakland next week...they are going to come into Mile High with a point to prove...and they would really want to spoil our season. Divisional games are not to be taken lightly. Win and the Broncos get No. 2 seed.

There are a few positives, and maybe I'm reaching. So, the Broncos proved that they can move the ball in the air and on the ground against a tough opponent. They now have to do it with more consistency. The defense was able to make some crucial stops, even after the offense put the defense in a major hole, time after time, however...they need to get even better. Missed tackles will not win football games. Blown coverages will not win football games. Special teams needs to get better...more touchbacks please!!! On a slightly more happier note, I guess, is that the Broncos have never won a superbowl with a 13-3 record. So....you know.

Penalties really killed the game...and it's not on the referees. Marvin Austin, although I appreciate the drive and determination to get to the QB, can't drive him to the ground. 15 yards, and affects field position. Granted, the Broncos were able to later force a punt, but it was a dumb thing to do, and could have been a lot worse. Kavon Webster on special teams with the block in the back, and holding on two punts, really hurt field position, not once but twice. In the second quarter...Clady holding on what should have been a 48 yard completion, turned what would have been at least a field goal into a punt, and Cinci get a field goal from that short field. The INT where Julius Thomas was targeted could have gone either way...but I hate blaming referees when the Broncos lose. I agree that it was a pretty questionable face mask call, and I wonder why illegal contact or PI wasn't called on the DB, but...the penalties have to stop. It's been a recurring theme in all of the Broncos losses this year. Hm...maybe they could do a "No More" advert for penalties.
(edited 9 years ago)
Too be fair I thought the refs were atrocious. They really ****ed Denver with a few calls.

Manning was puzzling some of his throws were lame ducks but others were super.
Original post by Malevolent
Too be fair I thought the refs were atrocious. They really ****ed Denver with a few calls.

Manning was puzzling some of his throws were lame ducks but others were super.

I'm really struggling with the face mask one...but that was the one bad one which I can pick up. Shame...that would have been a nice gain and a big, big first down, at a point when the Broncos had momentum.....and then it was either a punt or a pick to end that series. The thing is...I don't like blaming the refs. The Broncos may have been screwed out of a few...but they also got some beneficial ones, like the Talib pick six.

Looking at some of his 'highlights'....it is a puzzling one. His footwork was off, and the o-line did not have its best game. The third quarter was brilliant...but the fourth, well...that's just silly. The first pick, although it could have gone either way...was a case of not getting enough juice on the ball...but he had that with the Sanders TD. He was able to beat Cinci deep, with the long one to DT, and the other one being called back due to holding.

That said, Manning still gives the Broncos the best chance to win...and if you were to take a gander at some of the comments on Mile High Report...a lot of people want Peyton to retire now...which is just...absurd. No QB prepares better, in my opinion. I trust Manning will come out, learn the hard lessons from the game, and step up.

The negatives out of that games should be correctable, and there were a few positives to get from it. However...I don't know what was happening on special teams. That Pacman Jones return was...full of fail. And that punt return deep in the fourth, by Brandon Tate. Colquitt is not a good punter...but his tackle attempt was weak. After punting he's basically acting as a deep safety, and he failed completely. Now, in terms of punters who can tackle, look at what McAfee did to Trindon Holiday last year...he destroyed him....Colquitt....tackled like Peyton Manning, for pete's sake.
(edited 9 years ago)
Congrats on the TSR Championship Dan, that fantasy matchup was literally like a 6-3 Superbowl. Projections were 130 plays 145 and we got 88 plays 97.

I won my other Championship with 74 and a 0 in the TE row too. I've stumbled over the line!
Original post by Wattsy
Congrats on the TSR Championship Dan, that fantasy matchup was literally like a 6-3 Superbowl. Projections were 130 plays 145 and we got 88 plays 97.

I won my other Championship with 74 and a 0 in the TE row too. I've stumbled over the line!

It always seems to be the way I think, quite often you either stagger through to the playoffs and then have a few hugeeeee weeks, or you get a solid reg season record and hobble through the playoffs. Guess that is the joy of FF, so unpredictable.

All hail OBJ, and his wonderful TD dances.
Great win for the Bengals.

I 'won' the consolation playoff, I'm officially average :p:
Reply 9732
Original post by nase14_aldayz
Stafford against the legion of boom?..

I agree with the other comment, it'd be a big performance from an experienced play-off team like GB that could beat Seattle, nobody else.

I still have painful memories of Luck last year - our worst enemy is a guy who simply tosses the ball downfield and hopes his elite receivers make a play - and when those guys are Megatron and Golden Tate, that's a tough ask.

I have even more painful memories of Titus Young having his best ever game against us in 2012, against the very same legion of boom that would be in this game
Original post by ..DT..

It always seems to be the way I think, quite often you either stagger through to the playoffs and then have a few hugeeeee weeks, or you get a solid reg season record and hobble through the playoffs. Guess that is the joy of FF, so unpredictable.

Congrats!

My team was just brutal in the playoffs. There's always next year - I will avenge the 1 passing yard loss!
Original post by ..DT..

Pretty much...I thought I had a solid season in all three leagues...and then had a brutal loss in the playoff..but then came on strong for the third place playoffs. WHERE WAS THIS THE PREVIOUS TWO WEEKS?!

The joys of fantasy. I would be honored to play TSR fantasy football next year. It has been fun.

And with OBJ, I couldn't agree more. I have him in my main league, and he's been outscoring Dez Bryant and Calvin Johnson. Heck, I even had the luxury of benching Eddie Royal, Brandon LaFell, Steve Smith, Desean Jackson (it's a very deep league) to play him...and he's delivered. The best fantasy gamble I made...(I had Victor Cruz but as soon as he went down, I picked up OBJ). :biggrin:
Original post by shunter7634
Congrats!

My team was just brutal in the playoffs. There's always next year - I will avenge the 1 passing yard loss!

Haha I still can't quite believe that man, you shoulda sent it in to the NFL fantasy section they have a feature about the most unlucky losses each week and that literally would be up there with the worst of them.

Hopefully we can get it up to a 10 man league and start in week 1 next season. Now my focus goes back to the TSR fantasy football league where I'm 8th out of 110 :biggrin:
Original post by ..DT..
Haha I still can't quite believe that man, you shoulda sent it in to the NFL fantasy section they have a feature about the most unlucky losses each week and that literally would be up there with the worst of them.

Hopefully we can get it up to a 10 man league and start in week 1 next season. Now my focus goes back to the TSR fantasy football league where I'm 8th out of 110 :biggrin:

I don't know if you're looking at our post count but we're on the brink of 10,000 so ticking over to NFL Thread Mark II might well help us get some more regulars for next years fantasy. I'm well up for playing again. 1st and 2nd in my rookie season is a solid mark.

Lucky you! I'm 66th in the TSR fantasy football league, I was good last year but I've been abysmal this time out! 50 points this week and I needed 2 subs due to non-starters!
NFL Fantasy Football is love. NFL Fantasy Football is life.

So What do I do now??

Original post by Wattsy
I don't know if you're looking at our post count but we're on the brink of 10,000 so ticking over to NFL Thread Mark II might well help us get some more regulars for next years fantasy. I'm well up for playing again. 1st and 2nd in my rookie season is a solid mark.

May this thread tick over quickly enough :biggrin:
OBJ has the highest YPG (receiving) for a rookie in the modern era. OROY hands down.

Also:

15 INTs this season for Peyton Manning.
13 INTs this season for Eli Manning :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jammy4041
NFL Fantasy Football is love. NFL Fantasy Football is life.

So What do I do now??

May this thread tick over quickly enough :biggrin:

Hahaha, love that. You should become our version of Matt Miller and start mock drafting! That would give you something to do!

We'll knock over 260 posts through the playoffs for sure, We might be on time to set the new one up for the Superbowl or we can have a new one for our inevitable draft discussions of next seasons scouts draft. That'll make riveting reading for any potential newcomer! The nuances of O-lineman, 10 yard splits on DE's, accessible stuff for all.

I'll probably post about 50 times in Wildcard Week, I LOVE WILDCARD WEEK! I actually think it's the best week of the season. So many hyper-competitive games!

Latest