The Student Room Group

Nottingham A100 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Have any international students got interview invites yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sk123456789
Have any international students got interview invites yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got mine last Tuesday :smile:
I'm from Singapore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by luce'
Thank you! Just change mine to the 27th of feb too! :biggrin:

Oh god I know, I just end up waffling on for bloody ages! Then again broad questions are better than role play! Anythings better than role play...

Ok ooooopsie. Just got an email saying you can't change it, so had to change it back :colondollar:
Do you think by any chance Nottingham would score an A in literature over a B in language?
Original post by frozo123
Do you think by any chance Nottingham would score an A in literature over a B in language?

I think your best help would be to email them directly and get their real protocol as opposed to us giving you wrong info :P I would think they wouldn't though since as of this year you got 5 points per A* in your top 8 GCSES which had to include English Lang, Maths and Sciencess...

I would double check though if I were you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by suchika.garg
Does anyone know if Nottingham still has the onlne questionnaire as part of their selection procedure?

This year they aren't, according to one of their mails.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How's everyone prepping for the MMI!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 467
I havent heard anything at all with 44/52
If you have any questions about the med school, course structure or life as a medic in general feel free to ask :smile:.
Original post by Nottie
If you have any questions about the med school, course structure or life as a medic in general feel free to ask :smile:.

Hi, congratulations for getting into Nottingham!! I've got an interview at Nottingham Medical School in a few weeks (I'm so psyched). I'm trying to answer the Why Nottingham question but I'm really struggling to identify 3 concrete points. I identify the dissections and the BMedSci degree and I elaborate on both. I would also like to touch on the 5 different teaching hospitals and possibly discover an interesting fact about one of the hospitals but I can't seem to find anything substantial except that they're in the top 25% of trusts for patient and family satisfaction...Do you have any suggestions about what I could say? Thank you.
Original post by Nottie

What did you get for gcse and your a levels?
And when did you start revising for gcse?and how long each day? :yep::yep:

In in year 11 at the moment and I'm not sure whether I should do A levels or an IB . Is it worth doing the extra subjects that the IB offers or should i just stick to a levels since I know that I want to study medicine at university?. :confused::yes::yes::yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How long does the MMI last? I know there are 4 stations inc a role play
What's the lowest score with an interview so far?
Any grads (in the final year of another degree) applying to A100 heard anything yet?

Also, have Notts released anymore concrete interviews dates?

Thanks
Have any international students gotten anything?
Original post by MissMedical
Hi, congratulations for getting into Nottingham!! I've got an interview at Nottingham Medical School in a few weeks (I'm so psyched). I'm trying to answer the Why Nottingham question but I'm really struggling to identify 3 concrete points. I identify the dissections and the BMedSci degree and I elaborate on both. I would also like to touch on the 5 different teaching hospitals and possibly discover an interesting fact about one of the hospitals but I can't seem to find anything substantial except that they're in the top 25% of trusts for patient and family satisfaction...Do you have any suggestions about what I could say? Thank you.

You ask about the 3rd reason or abt the hospitals? Well, I am based in QMC this year which is the hospital med school is located in so can't really say anything about other hospitals. I can though quote the dean and say that it allows you to meet different types of patients. Like, you have "city patients" and "rural patients" which apparently differ greatly (as you can imagine) so being exposed to both makes you more prepared for your career. Hmm not sure what else j could say about hospitals....if I were you I would probably mention the traditional format of the course or say that you like what medsoc is offering you (here you can mention some of or societies such as teddy bear hospital or open art surgery and say how you would love to get involved)
Original post by diana99
What did you get for gcse and your a levels?
And when did you start revising for gcse?and how long each day? :yep::yep:

In in year 11 at the moment and I'm not sure whether I should do A levels or an IB . Is it worth doing the extra subjects that the IB offers or should i just stick to a levels since I know that I want to study medicine at university?. :confused::yes::yes::yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm afraid I can't answer your question as I haven't done a levels or ib. I'm an EB student. However, for gcse equivalents I revised weekend before and day before each exam. As to extra subjects, EB forces you to do at least 33hrs a week and includes 2 languages, maths, philosophy, history, geography and gym. In my ps I used this fact as an advantage and mentioned how knowing few languages came handy during my we. However in my offer they only included bio, Chem and average so you don't really have to worry about it :wink:
Thank you, Nottie for the advice!!
Original post by Nottie
You ask about the 3rd reason or abt the hospitals? Well, I am based in QMC this year which is the hospital med school is located in so can't really say anything about other hospitals. I can though quote the dean and say that it allows you to meet different types of patients. Like, you have "city patients" and "rural patients" which apparently differ greatly (as you can imagine) so being exposed to both makes you more prepared for your career. Hmm not sure what else j could say about hospitals....if I were you I would probably mention the traditional format of the course or say that you like what medsoc is offering you (here you can mention some of or societies such as teddy bear hospital or open art surgery and say how you would love to get involved)

I'm afraid I can't answer your question as I haven't done a levels or ib. I'm an EB student. However, for gcse equivalents I revised weekend before and day before each exam. As to extra subjects, EB forces you to do at least 33hrs a week and includes 2 languages, maths, philosophy, history, geography and gym. In my ps I used this fact as an advantage and mentioned how knowing few languages came handy during my we. However in my offer they only included bio, Chem and average so you don't really have to worry about it :wink:
Original post by MissMedical

The Royal Derby has really good facilities and a really strong culture of teaching amongst most of the medical staff, along with some really good clinical educators. Nottingham is much more of a "make your own fun" kind of place, getting anything out of a placement there is much more about being a self starter and finding learning opportunities. Within Nottingham, QMC is enormous and hectic (read: shambolic) and City is a much more chilled environment. Kings Mill (Mansfield) is a damned hospital in a damned trust. A shiny glass cathedral to PFI hubris that is dying on it's feet. I wouldn't want to be a patient there, but I've actually had some really good times on placement due to some really inspiring educators and the opportunity to get much more involved with the team (because there were bugger all staff). I've never been to Lincoln or Boston. I hear that it's ok, ish, for some stuff. Lincoln is a nice place. But the geographical isolation from the major teaching hospitals means that students have to teach themselves a lot more of the material as they can't find anyone in Boston to teach it to them.

:colone: You may not want to repeat a lot of that in an interview. The simple fact is that every medical school ends up sending students to some crap hospitals. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now, they'll probably just be pleased that you're aware that they'll be sending you all over the East Midlands. You could probably spin something about the value of experiencing the healthcare needs of different populations (Mansfield and Derby are pretty different places). Interesting facts: Nottingham is the oldest post-WWII medical school. They found a rat in Theatre 4 at Kings Mill a couple of years ago. QMC was one of the first non-secure hospitals to have access control swipecards for all wards and departments because somebody stole a baby a few decades ago.
Do I need to bring an address document/bank letter? Seems to be conflicting information on the official website
Original post by curtis110
What's the lowest score with an interview so far?

I haven't seen any lower than 44

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending