The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jchap9776
I'm basically the guy on the 'LSE Problem' youtube vid hahaha

Oh god I just watched it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: So funny lol
Reply 2181
Original post by sr-96
Does anyone know what they would like to pursue as a career after graduating? I personally have no idea:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Asset management maybe? Pay isn't much lower than that of FO investment bankers and the hours aren't as much of a madting either
Reply 2182
Original post by fha96
Posted from TSR Mobile

Asset management maybe? Pay isn't much lower than that of FO investment bankers and the hours aren't as much of a madting either

Everyone seems to want to go into something finance related:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr-96
Everyone seems to want to go into something finance related:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it is an economics degree, if not finance then uhm what else lol
Reply 2184
Original post by abccba120
Well it is an economics degree, if not finance then uhm what else lol

There's lots of other things you could do. Like teaching, research...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr-96
There's lots of other things you could do. Like teaching, research...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh true but meh :biggrin:
Do any of you guys who want to go into IB actually know what investment banking involves? If not I strongly advise looking it up and doing work experience in that setting. Not only is IB boring it is very stressful. Be a forex strategist like me :smile:

... I guess forex strategists work in investment banks so by tenuous connection, they're also investment bankers :biggrin:
Original post by EHZ17
Do any of you guys who want to go into IB actually know what investment banking involves? If not I strongly advise looking it up and doing work experience in that setting. Not only is IB boring it is very stressful. Be a forex strategist like me :smile:

... I guess forex strategists work in investment banks so by tenuous connection, they're also investment bankers :biggrin:

Would be foolish not to research something you're thinking of pursuing lol. Anyway we applicants have plenty of time before deciding on specific career paths :biggrin:
Would be foolish not to research something you're thinking of pursuing lol. Anyway we applicants have plenty of time before deciding on specific career paths :biggrin:

People do have to eventually grow up and realise that money doesn't buy happiness I guess. Selective Buddhism has helped me grow as a person and allow me to foresee such hopeless ways to live life. I bet I will meet many who dream of IB if I chose LSE in the Summer...
Original post by EHZ17
People do have to eventually grow up and realise that money doesn't buy happiness I guess. Selective Buddhism has helped me grow as a person and allow me to foresee such hopeless ways to live life. I bet I will meet many who dream of IB if I chose LSE in the Summer...

Well we all have our own opinions & if you do choose LSE you're 100% correct about the IB dream haha , my sister goes there :biggrin:
Well we all have our own opinions & if you do choose LSE you're 100% correct about the IB dream haha , my sister goes there :biggrin:

I'll be very happy if I make the offer. I would prally choose cambridge over lse but lse still amazing
I am sure most people here realise that IB is in structural decline? + the level of competitiveness for each intern position?
Original post by Hody421
I am sure most people here realise that IB is in structural decline? + the level of competitiveness for each intern position?

The majority of what IB do is make the markets and talk to clients

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17

One of many reasons not to pick LSE
I'd either choose to work in the public sector(with the government etc.) or become an Energy economist!
Original post by Mike_123
One of many reasons not to pick LSE

Many are naive
Original post by EHZ17

tbf its only worth doing ib for the experience so you can move to hedgefunding or asset management, ib is just the easiest to get into and then just use the experience to transfer to something a lot less intense - these are my thoughts but i'm hoping to get swayed to a set career path at uni itself
basically feels like Cambridge is full of people who actually love econ and lse is full of people who want to get rich
I will only apply to Cambridge if I get 95% UMS across the board
Original post by jchap9776
basically feels like Cambridge is full of people who actually love econ and lse is full of people who want to get rich

Might be true, LSE's Economics department is a lot stronger though. Their undergraduate programme is more modern, and sets you up better for a PhD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending